Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low end 1 piece scope mount options

suesstech

Guys,Gals,

I'm looking to get input on the durability of some lower price one-piece scope mounts. $50-$100 range. I'm looking at the Burris P.E.P.R currently. It looks strong to start with and I've heard others comment about the quality in a positive manner. Just curious if there are any other mounts around that price range that you would recommended instead of the Burris? And why? I see RRA is selling some, just not sure on the quality.

I'll be mounting a lower price Weaver or Millet scope. Not ready to invest in the high dollar combos yet...

Thanks in advance for the info.

Edited by suesstech

Guys,Gals,

I'm looking to get input on the durability of some lower price one-piece scope mounts. $50-$100 range. I'm looking at the Burris P.E.P.R currently. It looks strong to start with and I've heard others comment about the quality in a positive manner. Just curious if there are any other mounts around that price range that you would recommended instead of the Burris? And why? I see RRA is selling some, just not sure on the quality.

I'll be mounting a lower price Weaver or Millet scope. Not ready to invest in the high dollar combos yet...

Thanks in advance for the info.

I have seen the RRA mount on a friends rifle and it has held up fine so far. The Armalite mount is also in your price range and will work well. I prefer Larue mounts followed by ADM mounts thought but they are out of your price range.

Pat

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going with the cheap combo simply because I can only seem to find the 1" Weaver scopes, do 30mm versions exist? I'd hate to spend the money on a 1" Larue, then come to find out when it's time to get the good optic that it's best to get it in 30mm. I know for long range precision sights you want the biggest tube diameter you can get, is that the same with the low powered optics in 3gun?

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going with the cheap combo simply because I can only seem to find the 1" Weaver scopes, do 30mm versions exist? I'd hate to spend the money on a 1" Larue, then come to find out when it's time to get the good optic that it's best to get it in 30mm. I know for long range precision sights you want the biggest tube diameter you can get, is that the same with the low powered optics in 3gun?

You can get a 30mm larue and get the spacer inserts from them for their rings that cost $20 bucks then you can use a 1 inch scope in your 30mm mount.

Pat

As always I get the best answers from you guys. I really like Pat's idea of get the best mount now (LaRue/JP) with the 10mm spacers. This will give me time to get started with the cheap optic, then once I have a clue of what I'm looking for based on features and what works for me, I will then upgrade to the good optic years down the road, either in 1" or 30mm and not have to replace the mount.

Wheeew, now I can rest over the weekend! Thanks again...

Edited by suesstech

As always I get the best answers from you guys. I really like Pat's idea of get the best mount now (LaRue/JP) with the 10mm spacers. This will give me time to get started with the cheap optic, then once I have a clue of what I'm looking for based on features and what works for me, I will then upgrade to the good optic years down the road, either in 1" or 30mm and not have to replace the mount.

Wheeew, now I can rest over the weekend! Thanks again...

Funny, I have just been though this exact same dilemma! :) Came to the same conclusions. I ended up with Weaver V3 1-3 for the scope; for the mount was all set on Larue SPR, but just before I pulled the trigger on it, actually found its nearest competitor (an American Defense Manufacturing Recon-1 quick detachable )on Ebay for about $45 cheaper, so that is what I went for. It came with 1 rings, but just like LaRue, the rings can be changed out separately should I upgrade the scope in future. Very impressed with the whole setup - the scope is as great quality as people say; the mount is also very slick indeed. Total cost of scope and rings shipped was just under $300.

JP, JP, JP! Nuff said. Call me a nerd, but I "tested" some of the other mounts mentioned here-in and found shifts in POI based on a change in ambient temperature and due to heating the upper. The JP returns to the same POI when removed and re-torqued as well, the others did not. I've not tested a LaRue, but based on my measuremnts, I expect they would perform like the JP. The base material is important! Some of the cheap mounts have wide variations in hardness, and thus density and as a result, when heated, they do not expand symetrically causing alterations in POI.

The JPs are expensive, the price went up after I told JP about my tests, but that was probably co-incidence, but worht it! The new JP design works for 1" and 30mm tubes and a good 30mm tube is what you will eventually want for 3 gun.

Mark - Thanks for the input. I've read other threads on items you've tested and I would have to agree that you are very thorough to say the least. The JP mount is a little cheaper than the LaRue still which is nice.

You're referring to the JPFTSM-30/1 model right?

• 1 month later...

Actually they're not any cheaper than the QD mounts.

The Larue VZW mount option only when selected and added to your cart will subtract $25 dollars for each QD lever it replaces. For example; A scope mount with two VZW mounting points instead of two QD levers is $50 dollars less then the mount with levers. It threw me off as well when I was shopping for them.

Edited by fleshoid