Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to tune my compesator to work better on 165PF

SnivelingDramaQueen

I bye new barrel in 9x19mm without holes,I need some advice how to tune comp to work better on 165 PF.

I wont to try something like Brazos Thundercomp SX post-15680-067654900 1284649706_thumb.gi

but I need advice how to do that,holes diameter ,angle...etc

I live in Montenegro and we dont have gun smither for 2011 style I must to work all job alone.

You should be able to do it with powder alone. Many threads on here for that caliber and comp. I believe HS-6 powder is the powder of choice for 9x19 major.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113542&view=findpost&p=1291050

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110871&st=0&p=1288149&hl=hs6&fromsearch=1entry1288149

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110928&st=0&p=1259298&hl=hs6&fromsearch=1entry1259298

Edited by GrumpyOne

Since you are in europe try to get some Nobel Sport SP2. It should work well for you even at low power factor with that comp.

I bye alredy 25 kg of SP2 and wait delivery for HS-6,but I planing to shoot 9 major on WS and I want to tested all version.

I have problem with 38 SUPER in Europe,first high price and second I must to bye what I find.

I mean Brazos comp design is very good for 9 major

Since you are in europe try to get some Nobel Sport SP2. It should work well for you even at low power factor with that comp.

I bye alredy 25 kg of SP2 and wait delivery for HS-6,but I planing to shoot 9 major on WS and I want to tested all version.

I have problem with 38 SUPER in Europe,first high price and second I must to bye what I find.

I'm shooting a shorty 9 major with a thundercomp 2 sx. It works well with Silhouette, HS6, AutoComp, and even AA#7. I'm running about 172pf, I think the secret is in the recoil spring selection, in the shorty I run 11#, and in the Full SIze a 10#. If it is a little flippy throw a tungsten guide rod in it, to help keep it down. The Brazos is a lot lighter than a std steel comp so you are going to lose some weight out front. The main thing you want is nice smooth dot movement you can track.

Each gun and shooter is a little different and then you got the load to deal with, try it with out the holes, it it works run with it. If you do holes just make sure you back up about 1/2" from the end of the slide, it needs that metal for barrel lock up, try small and work out. But I'm guessing you won't need the holes.

I also only use RN in my 9 major, nothing like 100% reliabilty, the JHP's will give me a jam about every 150 rounds, or one a match so its RN for me. I've tried 125gr and 115gr at the same pf with the same powder and can't tell the difference when shooting them they work equally well. I've settled on the 125gr. Every 9 major load I have tired flattens the primers out, but they don't flow so its ok. 38 Super does not flatten the primers.

With the right load and comp the 9 major shoots just as flat and soft as 38 Super.

The reason I said low power factor is that since you only have to make 160 in IPSC for major you'll probably be running the gun close to 165 pf. In the US we have to make 165pf so most of us are probably running more like 170ish (I usually load closer to 174 to get the gun to track the way I want it to) to be safe. With my guns different powders seem to require loading to different power factors to get the dot to track well. That seems to mostly relate to the burn rates of the powders and how much gas they produce.

SP2 is probably the slowest powder that I have found that will make make major in a 9x19 loaded to major so I would expect it to work the comp a bit better at a lower pf...

Having said that all guns are a law unto themselves, and there are other factors like spring rates, shape of the pin stop that impact the way the gun cycles. Coco is right try several things till you find what works for you.

I'm shooting a shorty 9 major with a thundercomp 2 sx. It works well with Silhouette, HS6, AutoComp, and even AA#7. I'm running about 172pf, I think the secret is in the recoil spring selection, in the shorty I run 11#, and in the Full SIze a 10#. If it is a little flippy throw a tungsten guide rod in it, to help keep it down. The Brazos is a lot lighter than a std steel comp so you are going to lose some weight out front. The main thing you want is nice smooth dot movement you can track.

Each gun and shooter is a little different and then you got the load to deal with, try it with out the holes, it it works run with it. If you do holes just make sure you back up about 1/2" from the end of the slide, it needs that metal for barrel lock up, try small and work out. But I'm guessing you won't need the holes.

I also only use RN in my 9 major, nothing like 100% reliabilty, the JHP's will give me a jam about every 150 rounds, or one a match so its RN for me. I've tried 125gr and 115gr at the same pf with the same powder and can't tell the difference when shooting them they work equally well. I've settled on the 125gr. Every 9 major load I have tired flattens the primers out, but they don't flow so its ok. 38 Super does not flatten the primers.

With the right load and comp the 9 major shoots just as flat and soft as 38 Super.

Coco, thanks for your advance

My gun have a lightened slide and I use light recoil master,you mean thats not good for 9 major?

I only mean to put holes on the comp side?

Coco, thanks for your advance

My gun have a lightened slide and I use light recoil master,you mean thats not good for 9 major?

I only mean to put holes on the comp side?

One of the things I like about the Brazos is the holes it already has in the sides, it gives the gun a lot of lateral stability, I tried to get one without the holes, and couldn't but now I shot it I like it And what I mean is shoot it and find out how it works, then if you need to adjust it, rather than drilling a bunch of holes try different recoil rates, that is also part of the tuning. A gun can go from violently wild to tame as a kitten with just a # or 2 of recoil spring. All of my open guns are running lightened slides @ 10 oz, on a full size 8 oz on the shorty and I have cone and bull versions. Each gun is tuned a little different for the same load you just have to do a little trial and error testing to find what works for you. I like to do this by timing a plate rack along with how it feels. Bob did a good job on this comp its one of the best I have tried. If the recoil master works for you shoot it, I prefer to use guide rods and springs, I've got tungsten, steel, and aluminum, that way I can adjust the balance of the gun and the recoil spring till I get it where I want it to be. 9 major is just like 38 Super Comp maybe a tick softer shooting with the same powder but you have fewer choices of powder, some just won't fit in the case. HS6, and SP2 are great choices you should not have any trouble. HS6 will leave a black film in the gun, its a bit dirty but good stuff for 9 major 8.2gr w/125 or 8.8 w/115 will put you above 165pf @ 170. I load at 1.165 OAL w/RN Zero or MTG.

When is the last time you replaced your recoil spring? I'm changing mine out about every 5K rounds. It keeps the gun consistent.

Hello: You can tune your pistol by using different powder charges. My shorty 9mm with Bedell comp likes the power factor up around 173PF. It actually settles down and the recoil is less. I actually went down one pound on the recoil spring to an 8lb ISMI. I am still learning about comps and what makes a good one and what makes them shoot better. I know some powders I've tried make the dot do a little figure 8 dance even at lower power factors. Some do it at higher power factors. I am using 115 grain Montana Gold JHP's. The 115's work better for me and my style of shooting. Hope this helps and let us know how it works out. Thanks, Eric

Point of my question and this story is wich diameter to use for hole on comp side?

I want definitly to put holes on the side same like have Brazos compesator,and I need a help from you!!!

I would suggest very small side ports at first and test it out with your loads. You can always make the holes bigger.

You can also put the side ports in the last chamber first and work back. Experiment and play around with it.

Point of my question and this story is wich diameter to use for hole on comp side?

I want definitly to put holes on the side same like have Brazos compesator,and I need a help from you!!!

I would suggest very small side ports at first and test it out with your loads. You can always make the holes bigger.

You can also put the side ports in the last chamber first and work back. Experiment and play around with it.

I think this is what you're looking for. Sorry, the language barrier may have confused some people.

Can you post a picture of what you bought ? Have you tried it without the holes yet ? What is your curent load ?

why not just buy brazo's compensator? Bob has designed and worked

on that already! Save time and leave it to the expert and just

buy the brazo's comp SX.

There may be export control/international traffic in arms regulation considerations.

why not just buy brazo's compensator? Bob has designed and worked

on that already! Save time and leave it to the expert and just

buy the brazo's comp SX.

I m ready to pay immediatly,but Brazos sell only to US!!!

Only what I have posibility to bye is new Trubor barrel including comp from German distributor for STI.

I think this is what you're looking for. Sorry, the language barrier may have confused some people.

Can you post a picture of what you bought ? Have you tried it without the holes yet ? What is your curent load ?

this is what I want , you see 3 small ports on both side of comp.Right now help me which size to I use

post-15680-073051900 1284743027_thumb.gi

Edited by ZeljkoLucic

My appologies, after consideration that is bob's proprietary information and it wouldn't be right for me to pass it around.

Sorry

I mean our mission and mission of this forum is to we help each other,but I dont have problem with your decision.

I first send mail to mmr.Brazos but he dont replay me yet!!!

Your choice,in any case THANKS!!!