Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MGM Spinner Targets

I have never shot at one before so I thought Id ask the experts how to tackle them.

First, I was curious as to what shot size you guys lime to use on them. Does 00 or #4 Buckshot or ever #4 or #6 shot work better than standard issue 7 1/2 shot?

Second, what is the lowest number of shots it takes for you to spin one with a shotgun? How about with a pistol?

Lastly, does a major power factor 38 super, 40, 45 spin them faster than a minor power factor 9mm?

I have never shot at one before so I thought Id ask the experts how to tackle them.

First, I was curious as to what shot size you guys lime to use on them. Does 00 or #4 Buckshot or ever #4 or #6 shot work better than standard issue 7 1/2 shot?

Second, what is the lowest number of shots it takes for you to spin one with a shotgun? How about with a pistol?

Lastly, does a major power factor 38 super, 40, 45 spin them faster than a minor power factor 9mm?

yes, it is momentum based. So, the harder you hit it the more it will move.

You need to develop a "rocking" pattern to get it to swing depending on the caliber and distance.

(Ex.. two to the bottom, one to the top, two to the bottom, one to the top..)

With a shotgun, - 3" mags - I have seen folks spin it with two shots. Most take 4ish with 4-6's.

With pistol, it takes quite a few shots, with any caliber. I have spun it with a 40 in 5 shots, 1 to the bottom, timed one to the top, timed one to the bottom, another to the top, and then the final to the bottom. Even with a 45acp 230 grain, it'll probably take at least 5 shots. 9mm is problematic, unless it is major, and even then....

After thinkning about it for a minute or two I would assume that you want to shoot the bottom once or twice first to get it rocking backwards. Then you want to shoot the top plate as it is traveling from the forward position to the rearward position making sure that you don't shoot the top plate very far past the center line. Then you want to engage the bottom target as it is in the forward position and stop engaging it once it is at or slightly beyond the centerline position. You are basically always pushing the target on the end that is accelarating up to the point that it begins to decelerate.

Is my line of thining correct?

Edited by jtischauser

I always shoot the top first since it is smaller and not moving, then I hammer the bottom. One bird shot on the top and a good OO buck on the bottom will do the job. The same with pistol, couple hits on the top and then go to the bottom.

I'm mostly in the Kurt camp too.. since I almost always run Light Mod. No choke changes needed.

I don't think the swingers are really a problem with a shotgun.. #4 Buck, 00.. al lwork them fine. I can't recall anyone on the squads really having an issue with them with the shotgun.

They're really not somehtign that needs to be worried about.

Now.. with the pistol... for me.. I had problems..

After my first ironman I had to have one. It is the greatest single steel target I have ever shot. It is equally good with pistol shotgun or rifle. With a pistol the least number of rounds I have seen used was 6 9mm or 5 .45. With birdshot 2 will do if your choke is tight and you get good hits (depending on distance). .223 is a chore to spin it at 100 yards, but .308 is not too bad. Slugs at 50 is not very easy, but it only takes 2 hits. With pistol I try to double the bottom, double the top, then single till it spins. Shotgun and rifle I shoot top then bottom, slugs bottom then bottom again. I use a mod or light mod choke on the shotgun. The fastest time I have spun it in with a pistol is 9 ish, but I have seen it done in 7 seconds from low ready moving into position. The best part about shooting at moving targets is that static targets seem easy in comparison. I think that more matches should use them, but they can frustrate new shooters.

I definately want one of these for our local club. Its always good and sometimes fun for new shooters or shooters that don;t travel to the major matches to see this sort of target.

Hopefully we can have one at the club for next years High Plains Shotgun match.

Once you get one.. fellow club members will swear that the "ammo companies" made it.

I have seen folks put upwards of 70 rounds down range trying to spin in... :devil:

It is a great practice target.

After thinkning about it for a minute or two I would assume that you want to shoot the bottom once or twice first to get it rocking backwards. Then you want to shoot the top plate as it is traveling from the forward position to the rearward position making sure that you don't shoot the top plate very far past the center line. Then you want to engage the bottom target as it is in the forward position and stop engaging it once it is at or slightly beyond the centerline position. You are basically always pushing the target on the end that is accelarating up to the point that it begins to decelerate.

Is my line of thining correct?

I've never shot one, but this seems logical with regards to the physics of the event...if you are shooting the top as the bottom wants to start rolling backward you are in essence fighting its spin, no?

My thoughts are that you want to be pushing the side of the plate as it is accelerating not decelerating. When the bottom plate is moving to the rear it is accelerating up until the point that it passes the center line then it instantly begins to decelerate due to gravity. You could still shoot the bottom plate here and push it farther out but you would be fighting against gravity that is trying to slow it down.

This target actually presents quite a nice dynamics problem. I wish I would have paid more attention in school so I could understand this stuff. I thought I would never use that stuff in the real world. Doh!

whichever half is moving backwards, thats the half you want to shoot to give it a little extra momentum. like pushing someone one a swingset. push in the way they are going and they'll go farther/faster.

I am 100% sure that you don't want to shoot the plate that moving towards you!!!

I'm wondering if you are helping or hurting by shooting the plate moving backwards by shooting it all the way to the back. The farther back you get it the higher it's gonna go and the more momentum it's going to carry coming forward.

I may be over analyzing things as it may not matter because you dont have time to shoot them more than once or twice!

whichever half is moving backwards, thats the half you want to shoot to give it a little extra momentum. like pushing someone one a swingset. push in the way they are going and they'll go farther/faster.

I am 100% sure that you don't want to shoot the plate that moving towards you!!!

I'm wondering if you are helping or hurting by shooting the plate moving backwards by shooting it all the way to the back. The farther back you get it the higher it's gonna go and the more momentum it's going to carry coming forward.

I may be over analyzing things as it may not matter because you dont have time to shoot them more than once or twice!

I meant backwards as in away from you. if the bottom half is swinging away that where I would shoot. when it comes back forward, the top half is moving away so i would shoot that. seems it would help push things along and sooner or later itl go over.

That has been brought out a few times at the local match. Most of the time, we had to engage it with slugs and once with a pistol. I can't remember how many shots it took with my 9mm minor but it seemed like a lot. It only takes 2 hits with low recoil slugs. That thing is a blast.

I meant backwards as in away from you. if the bottom half is swinging away that where I would shoot. when it comes back forward, the top half is moving away so i would shoot that. seems it would help push things along and sooner or later itl go over.

Corey,

I was definately agreeing with you. I think you were stating the obvious answer and I was trying to dig into the dynamics if the spinners movement a little deeper which may not be necessaryaki g your simple answer seem not so simple after all.

Has anyone thought of setting up a stage where instead of starting it to spin making the shooter stop it?

Thats a great idea. You could have a forward falling popper to release them. The only thing you need is a means to determine that they have stopped enough to allow the shooter to move on.

• 3 weeks later...

Fun target but as an RO for several Iron-Man matches I can take this...it takes 2 hits to get no pen...and if shooting a 9mm you should not try to spin it if the target is over 9 yards away! I have seen many a shooter (est 90%) try and empty magazines and reload trying with 9mm and for a 15 second bonus you do the math. It doesn't take time to shoot, what does take time is waiting for the target to present itself again, going away from you! The distance to the target is a key as well as what power you are shooting.

I bought one target just to test with my loads (135 PF) and came to the conclusion that to just pass it by when I was over 9 yards (about the safe distance).

Now when shooting it with 223 at 100 yards, I used a 77 grain and could spin it with just 5 shots...bullet choice made the difference. Remember, size matters.

If possible choke up with the shotgun or use a #2 or 4 and the thing will spin like crazy. Again, pattern and ammo choice will make a difference.

Hope this helps,

RLTW,

Scott