Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading

spook

Just came back from the range. I hit a friggin' 1.58 second reload today (with the trusty old S&W 625 six shooter) :D

It kinda made me happy, so I thought I'd better share it (or.....brag a little :P;) )

BTW, I use the "keep-the-gun-in-the-strong-hand" method. I've found that practicing the high ready in dry fire extensively really improves the shot to shot time in a reload. I got to the point where I thought I couldn't go any faster (had the new moonclip in before the old one hit the ground). So I had to focus on other stuff. Flexmoney's thread about the perfect reload made me realize that the part after the new ammo is in, is often overlooked. So I started to work on that.....and I guess it works.

My splits still suck, though :(:P:D

Thanks guys.

Awesome!!!

Do it again! Do it again!

Well, I did three or four in 1.61 - 1.68, but that doesn't count, does it? :D

Anyhoo, I'm going for sub 1.5 seconds! B):ph34r:

Bill, I'm still trying to figure out which way of reloading is the fastest. Jerry M is very fast with the transfer-reload, but I've always thought of the last part (transferring the gun back into the strong hand and bringing the gun back on the target) was the weak point of that way of reloading.

The weak point of the strong hand reload is obviously that there's a gap between dumping the old clip and putting the new one in. I've found that the best way of reducing this gap is to use your weak hand thumb instead of your weak hald palm to push the ejector rod.

BTW, do you guys know what the time on his all time fastest reload was? I recall it was somewhere in the 1.4 area?

Garfield Posted on Feb 12 2004, 05:44 PM

QUOTE (spook @ Feb 12 2004, 11:26 AM)

BTW, do you guys know what the time on his all time fastest reload was? I recall it was somewhere in the 1.4 area?

Ambitious ? 

Hell yeah! B)

Spook,

Great reload, I'm still practicing to stay below 3 seconds. Damn I'm slow. I also use the thumb as opposed to the palm most of the time. I also use the heel of my weak hand as I roll it to assume the hand position for shooting. Hell I'm gonna do some more speedloading practice now.

Bubber, for closing the gun, I do the following (I started out using my palm too, but it slowed me down considerably):

1) I insert the clip

2) As soon as the clip is in completely, the gun cants to the strong hand side (making the cylinder "fall" back into the frame window)

3) at the same time, the thumb of my weak hand pushes the cylinder in, while assuming the shooting position on the gun (it's already there, so it's easy to do)

4) Gun cants back and into high ready

Big time saver I think, but it depends on where your thumbs are during the shooting.

Great reloading times Spook!

I thought I'd add this interesting tidbit. My friend Dan Carden has started to hit sub 2 second reloads almost everytime using an interesting technique.

He reloads the gun like you guys do, holding it in his right (strong hand) the whole time. He grips the gun like many of us revo people do, with his left thumb sitting on top of the right thumb.

Where he gets his speed is that his left thumb pushes straight forward off his right thumb to hit the cylinder release, then his trigger finger (right forefinger) comes off the trigger and pushes open the cylinder. This happens in the blink of an eye!

The other part of his speed comes from this: He ejects the clip as the gun is vertically moving down towards his belt, by the time the gun is rotated up to accept the new clip, he is already holding the new clip above the cylinder waiting to drop it in. He loses no time reaching to hit the ejector because it is done as the gun is moving down, which you have to do anyway.

You weakhand reloading guys might want to play with this a little.

Good shootin,

Paul

I believe when Jerry did his 3 sec, 6 shot - reload - 6 shot record, his reload time was 1.35 sec. Don't know if this is his fastest ever, but it's pretty damn fast! BTW, he had a slight bobble on that reload too.

The other part of his speed comes from this: He ejects the clip as the gun is vertically moving down towards his belt, by the time the gun is rotated up to accept the new clip, he is already holding the new clip above the cylinder waiting to drop it in. He loses no time reaching to hit the ejector because it is done as the gun is moving down, which you have to do anyway.

I like that one too. It saves lots of time.

BTW, should we move this to our own pretty little revolver forum? Moderator?

Mover480, 1.35s for a revolver reload is AWESOME!

Congratulations Spook

When you say you use the "high ready position", what are you referring to?

I know the low ready, but what is the other?

On your reloads are you bringing the gun down to about belt level or are you loading it high?

Viggen, the high ready is a position in which you have the gun fairly close to your body (pointing forward and up at about 45 deg), and have a visual of the front sight on the target (so the front sight is already on target or very close).

As you push the gun to the target, the front sight stays on the target and the rear sight appears.

Basically the FS moves in a straight line towards the target and the RS raises to FS height to provide a nice Sight Picture.

I'm not loading very low or high. Somewhere just above belt level.

Skywalker, I'm still envious, because I HAVE to reload 3 times as many as you do :(;)

• 1 year later...
Just came back from the range. I hit a friggin' 1.58 second reload today (with the trusty old S&W 625 six shooter) :D

It kinda made me happy, so I thought I'd better share it (or.....brag a little :P;) )

BTW, I use the "keep-the-gun-in-the-strong-hand" method. I've found that practicing the high ready in dry fire extensively really improves the shot to shot time in a reload. I got to the point where I thought I couldn't go any faster (had the new moonclip in before the old one hit the ground). So I had to focus on other stuff. Flexmoney's thread about the perfect reload made me realize that the part after the new ammo is in, is often overlooked. So I started to work on that.....and I guess it works.

My splits still suck, though :(:P:D

That is an amazing quick time and you have probably bettered it by now.

Yesterday I did some dry fire reloads.

Starting with gun on target, at the beep start reload, I was just scraping through at 2.5 seconds

So I am putting that down here for a baseline and hoping to improve on it considerable.

al

Al, if you hit 2.5s starting to reload at the beep, that is pretty dang good, because it includes your reaction time.

One of my fav. reload drills was 6 reloads in X seconds starting from high ready. Try to get as consistent as you can.

If you want some brag-runs, use a close target. If you want to win matches, use small targets and focus on the process of pulling the trigger/follow through more. In the end, it's all about the hits :)

Good going!

PS, read this post again in a year and you will be amazed at the improvement you made.

Edited by spook

Spook,

Great reload, I'm still practicing to stay below 3 seconds. Damn I'm slow. I also use the thumb as opposed to the palm most of the time. I also use the heel of my weak hand as I roll it to assume the hand position for shooting. Hell I'm gonna do some more speedloading practice now.

Wait a minute, you're gonna practice?!?!? That's like cheating you know! You're just supposed to show up on match day like the rest of us working stiffs and SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!

I guess that's one benefit of living a mile South of Ankle Scratch Oklahoma, you can just step out the back door and pop a few practice rounds off. Just be sure to shoo the cows off the range first. :rolleyes:

I guess that's one benefit of living a mile South of Ankle Scratch Oklahoma, you can just step out the back door and pop a few practice rounds off. Just be sure to shoo the cows off the range first. :rolleyes:

...I guess, my neighbour wouldn´t be very amused, if I´m going to try this... :o

...I guess, my neighbour wouldn´t be very amused, if I´m going to try this... :o

I hear that.

My dream is to go buy me a place just outside the city limits where I can do what I want. I kinda like the Clark compound near Minden......