Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

factory ammo for MP pro

stewj

I have been shooting 3 gun for about a year and have been wondering if changing ammo would help my times. I do not reload and have only been shooting 115gr factory ammo. Are there any recommendations for factory ammo?

First year of USPSA All I would shoot was WWB out of my XD. Believe me when I say it, Ammo choice isn't gonna improve your times as much as you would think, then good old dry firing will.

Edited by DocMedic

I assume you're looking for a light load. Here are mfg ballistics info:

Brand Bullet Weigh Velocity Power

UMC L9MM1 FMJ 115 1135 130525

UMC L9MM3 FMJ 115 1145 131675

CCI Blazer BrassFMJ 115 1145 131675

PMC Bronze FMJ 115 1157 133055

Federal AE9DP FMJ 115 1180 135700

Winchester FMJ 115 1190 136850

You can also check out Atlanta Arms and Ammumition for their information. They have a 147 gr minor which is really soft. Runs fine in my 9c and in the 9L had to go to a 15# recoil spring. Competatively priced with factory ammo.

Edited by 70116

I had outstanding accuracy with Atlanta Arms 147gr JHP (Team Glock load) in my Pro, but it was a little bit light, and I got a couple of FTEs with it. I swapped a lighter recoil spring and steel guide rod and the problem went away. It's much softer than normal WWB. In the end I worked up a similar load, to a slightly higher PF, no FTEs with the heavier spring and the load feels marginally softer. R,

Thanks Krag, I had not thought of that. G-Man, what spring did you use with the team glock load?

I tried the 13lb spring first, then went to the 11lb and it seemed to be okay. With my handloads, it's been 100% so far with the 13lb spring. I'm trying a Storm Lake barrel now (not much difference), so it might even be 100% with the 13lb spring and the AA&A ammo...just really haven't tried that combo yet.

11? :surprise:

My gun barely wants to close with a 13#. I went back to stock.

+1

With a 13# in my Pro, if I shook it too hard, it would come out of battery. I didn't think it was worth taking the chance of blowing it up, in my hand.

11? :surprise:

My gun barely wants to close with a 13#. I went back to stock.

+1

With a 13# in my Pro, if I shook it too hard, it would come out of battery. I didn't think it was worth taking the chance of blowing it up, in my hand.

+2

I tried a #13 in my full size M&P and had "light strikes" on my primers, or so I thought during the match. When I inspected it later I found that it wasn't completely in battery and I'm glad they didn't fire. I'll stick to the factory or maybe a #15 but no #13 anymore.

Keep in mind that just because a spring says "13lb" on the package, that doesn't mean that's what it really is. 11lbs was too light for my taste, and I only used it to get the gun to run with the AA&A and factory barrel. The Storm Lake barrel I put in seems better (no FTEs with lighter loads) and I'm using the 13lb spring...and it closes pretty solidly. Get a spring tester and try different springs from the same brand and marked weight and they'll all be different :surprise:

. Get a spring tester and try different springs from the same brand and marked weight and they'll all be different :surprise:

i saw some spring testers on amazon for about a grand, looks like one of those DIY kind of things

Edited by Field

. Get a spring tester and try different springs from the same brand and marked weight and they'll all be different :surprise:

i saw some spring testers on amazon for about a grand, looks like one of those DIY kind of things

Yeah, I made one out of hardware from Lowes and a fishing scale for only a couple of bucks. It's sort of like this one:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3920&view=findpost&p=31147

If somebody made a 9# Glock spring I'd run it. I run the Apex comp striker spring, shortened 4 coils (to match the length of the stock spring). No light strikes. It's not like running a MEGA light glock striker spring. I have one of those too and dropped it in just for giggles. WAY lighter than what I'm running now. I'll save the light strikes for the Glock shooters....LOL.

With the lighter striker spring the slide has more preload keeping it closed. It never had a problem before, but I was on a quest for light trigger pull weight and more slide tension was an added benefit.

oh I thought factory was 15...what is it? 17?

According to Wolff it's a #16.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/SMITH%20%26%20WESSON/M%26P%20SERIES%20-%209mm,%20.40S%26W,%20.357%20SIG/cID1/mID58/dID262

The #13 I bought was from Brownells. it was an ISMI.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=4347/k=/t=S/Products/S_W_M_P_Springs

G-Man,

I liked the spring tester. Maybe during the cold winter nights ahead I may play with that project. Thanks!

I'm sorry for high jacking the thread.

Please let's get back to the ammo for the OP.

Edited by LikesToShoot

In reading the response about the light springs and the slide not fully seating. Is it possible for a gun to fire when it is not in battery?

I'm sorry for going off topic, again.

But to answer this question, I had eight "light strikes" during this match. Which means the primers, CCI, had dimples but didn't ignite. Further inspection showed that the slide wasn't fully LOCKED in battery but the striker hit on the primer fully closed the slide but didn't set the primer off. Had it been a Federal primer it may have had a different result.

IMHO, Yes, The striker can release when not fully locked in battery.