Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fred Craig .22 micro mag?

barrysuperhawk

On page 8 of the Sept/Oct Front-sight magazine, there is an advertisement for "Fred Craig's all new... .22 micro mag?" and it looks cool, but when I google this or try to pull up the website, I get bupkis. The website supposedly is www.atomitronx.com,

but when you try to go there you get a total pop-up infested, "this domain for sale" mess. Does anyone know anything about the Gunsmith, the caliber or the gun?

I was thinking the same thing on it looked an awfull lot like a .224 Boz...which I had heard had been made by Barsto???? in a hicap CQB version, but wasnt going to be availble to the rank an file john Q. public because of the round's penetrating potential, being a 10mm junkie, I was/am preparedto pull some eyeteeth for the thing if its now available hehehe

and the Craig name??? very well known in the USPSA circles back in the day, as I recall he was the one who was welding up 2 caspian mags to make a big stick for the caspians back in the mid 90's???

Edited by calishootr

It sounds smaller than the Boz becuase they say you can get a 9mm conversion, 9mm case necked down? I have a frame that needs something on top, this would be cool if they are going to sell parts and dies

the more i stare at the picture, the more i think it might be the FN 5.7 round, which would work better in that platform, from reading more into the Boz round, it seems that it has a very high initial pressure spike that killed the glocks and colt delta elite's it was put into, thus the project was suspended, seems the round might be more suitable in a blowback configuration, but is shelved for the time being, and I fear, as the .40 did to the 10mm, the 5.7FN round will eclipse the Boz round....I still think I would shell out some bucks for a custom TC barrel, now to find a reamer and set of dies.....

• 2 weeks later...

I called them - the number's valid - said they had some problems w. the website - personally, I'd love it if they marketed a gun which came closer to 223 ballistics - I think they said it was 40 gr. @ 2050 fps, which doesn't seem all that great - certainly not worth the aggravation of a custom cartridge.

I still think I would shell out some bucks for a custom TC barrel, now to find a reamer and set of dies.....

I don't know if Mike at OTT is taking on new work at the moment, be he could get you there without the reamer. (EDM chambers)

My only .22 Wildcat B)

Longsnapperweb.jpg

Edited by cas

• 4 weeks later...

I seen the add an was interested, but when you think about it, it's pretty much a nice .22 magnum.

Cas

Great looking revolver, what kind of velocity are you getting out of the 22 Snapper? I am waiting for a 218 Mashburn Bee conversion from Gary Reeder.

the more i stare at the picture, the more i think it might be the FN 5.7 round, which would work better in that platform, from reading more into the Boz round, it seems that it has a very high initial pressure spike that killed the glocks and colt delta elite's it was put into, thus the project was suspended, seems the round might be more suitable in a blowback configuration, but is shelved for the time being, and I fear, as the .40 did to the 10mm, the 5.7FN round will eclipse the Boz round....I still think I would shell out some bucks for a custom TC barrel, now to find a reamer and set of dies.....

calishootr

5.7 FN has a Max Overall Length of 1.594 in.so it would not fit in a standard 1911. Should work in a Coonan or Grizzly but that is a pretty rare pistol to be experimenting on.