Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm being abused by a Revo shooter

leam

Someone who calls himself my friend, knowing I've had problems with my 1911, offered me a deal on an M-28. Isn't there something in the rule book about tempting the weak minded? If not, there should be! With friends like this, who needs bankers?

The deal is good; I get everything race ready except for belt and talent. Cost is affordable, which is a critical issue for me right now. "Right now" being the past two years and the next three or four; until all non-mortgage debt is gone. So the idea of going to a new division with cheaper bullets is rather appealing.

I think the only downer is that as a lefty I have to overcome designs for the lesser majority. Did see some threads and a YouTube video that made it look doable. Given that after two years off and on of USPSA I'm still in the low 30's percentage wise, maybe functioning hardware will make a difference. Not much, given the lack of talent included in the deal, but it's a start.

Leam

Another lefty here that shoots revo.

Watch Matt Griffin reload on YouTube a few times.

Figure out what works for you (including thumb outside the frame or through the frame method)

Dry-run the reload sequence a 100 times or so and you will have it down.

Rest of it is trigger control and strategy.

The FORCE easily controls the weak mind. Use the Force and the reloads will come together.

Model 28 is a great gun. A little large but it will last you forever. Now you need to reload .38s. My favorite load is 3.8 - 4.0 grains of Solo 1000 with a 158 grain bullet seated into the canulure. In my guns it will print to 1 - 1.5 inch groups when tested from a bench with my dot sight.

Good luck. Hope to see you at an ICORE match.

Dry-run the reload sequence a 100 times or so and you will have it down.

You sure you're not missing a few zeros? :surprise:

To get good ... absolutely missing a few zeros.

To shoot the first match, while more is better, 100 good reps should enable the shooter to come to the match with the ability to safely execute reloads at a reasonable speed.

The FORCE easily controls the weak mind. Use the Force and the reloads will come together.

Model 28 is a great gun. A little large but it will last you forever. Now you need to reload .38s. My favorite load is 3.8 - 4.0 grains of Solo 1000 with a 158 grain bullet seated into the canulure. In my guns it will print to 1 - 1.5 inch groups when tested from a bench with my dot sight.

Good luck. Hope to see you at an ICORE match.

No ICORE closer than ~4 hours. I've got a couple pounds of Bullseye but need to figure out the right bullet. In 1911 I've been shooting a 172 PF so it might be nice for a while so get down to the 130's or so. My first goal is to safely shoot a match and get 100% of the non-moving points. After that we'll see.

Thanks!

Leam

Someone who calls himself my friend, knowing I've had problems with my 1911, offered me a deal on an M-28. Isn't there something in the rule book about tempting the weak minded? If not, there should be! With friends like this, who needs bankers?

The deal is good; I get everything race ready except for belt and talent. Cost is affordable, which is a critical issue for me right now. "Right now" being the past two years and the next three or four; until all non-mortgage debt is gone. So the idea of going to a new division with cheaper bullets is rather appealing.

I think the only downer is that as a lefty I have to overcome designs for the lesser majority. Did see some threads and a YouTube video that made it look doable. Given that after two years off and on of USPSA I'm still in the low 30's percentage wise, maybe functioning hardware will make a difference. Not much, given the lack of talent included in the deal, but it's a start.

Leam

Man, we need to get this myth worked out of the general consciousness. Lemme ask you, which movement is more complicated, holding a gun with the cylinder open, or grabbing a speedloader, getting it into the cylinder, releasing the speedloader, and closing the cylinder?

Now which do you want to do with your smart hand, and which with your weak hand? I don't shoot speedloader guns (yet) so why don't you work out a great lefty method for us, save us the hand leather down the road? If your game allows, get a larger cylinder release, that's really the only mod that helps a very slight disadvantage we have, the extra .05 to get the thumb over to the release. After that, well . . .

;-)

Matt

Man, we need to get this myth worked out of the general consciousness. Lemme ask you, which movement is more complicated, holding a gun with the cylinder open, or grabbing a speedloader, getting it into the cylinder, releasing the speedloader, and closing the cylinder?

Now which do you want to do with your smart hand, and which with your weak hand? I don't shoot speedloader guns (yet) so why don't you work out a great lefty method for us, save us the hand leather down the road? If your game allows, get a larger cylinder release, that's really the only mod that helps a very slight disadvantage we have, the extra .05 to get the thumb over to the release.

;-)

Matt

Matt,

My main issue is the hand off from God Blessed Naturally Superior Side to the right hand. Just more actions with the lesser side involved. On the other other hand, I've yet to start working with the revolver. So it may come more naturally to me than I expect. Or it may be a totally difficult endeavor. :)

Leam

Hmm...I just watched a YouTube video of Jerry M doing 12 in 4.45. He also switches the gun to his off hand. Guess I need to go back to tossing the hackey sack back and forth to get what little coordination I can.

Matt, I like your close up video, it really breaks it down. The only issue so far is that I still have to wait a week or so for the revolver! Ugh!

Leam

Edited by leam

Bladetech DOH with minor modification to cut away the front of the holster so you clear the gun a little faster is what I am using for 5.5" 625.

What wrong-brained holster came with the gun?

Not sure what's coming with the gun. However, Blade-Tech doesn't have a specific DOH for the 38/357 series, do they? Options for the 625 though.

Leam

Any holster for a 625 should work just fine for a 28 (my Ready Tactical 625 holster holds my 28 nicely) and I assume the reverse is true. Let me amend that statement by saying I have no experience with full competition rigs and a holster designed for a 625 might not work for a 28 - I'm refering to standard kydex belt holsters from Comp Tac, Blade Tech, Ready Tactical and D&D.In fact getting a holster for a 625 will allow you to be ready when the 625 bug bites and it will! Another consideration is how many games you want to use the holster for. A DOH holster is not legal for IDPA if you want to play that game, whereas an IDPA legal holster is legal in USPSA and ICORE.

Edited by Brewski

James has a 625 he'd sell me if I had any money. However, as the 625 has been Carmonized and to be honest, James doesn't go half-way when he gets something, I'm not at the point of buying that yet. Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind! More than once, actually. Even worse, James would let me take it and make payments, if I asked. I need to get off this subject! :P

Right now the Revolver is just for USPSA. There's no ICORE nearby, far as I know. Haven't gotten back into IDPA yet and not sure what I'd shoot in it anyway. Right now I like the Revolver in USPSA just 'cause I know it's a sport and fun.

Leam

Don't let Leam fool you into crying for him. The package I put together for him is pretty exhaustive.

1) S&W Highway Patrolman in .357 Mag with a 6" barrel, bobbed hammer, and action job.

2) Safariland Cup Challenge holster and 11 speedloader holders

3) 7 HKS, 18 Dade Machine Co., and 2 Fastfire speedloaders

4) Dies, Assorted bullets, some 357 Mag, Long Colt and Short Colt brass and a 5 gallon bucket of 38 Spl brass

Basically everything he needs to shoot except a belt.

And a copy of Jerry's Advanced Ultimate Revolver if I can find it.

Edited by JFlowers

Don't let Leam fool you into crying for him. The package I put together for him is pretty exhaustive.

1) S&W Highway Patrolman in .357 Mag with a 6" barrel, bobbed hammer, and action job.

2) Safariland Cup Challenge holster and 11 speedloader holders

3) 7 HKS, 18 Dade Machine Co., and 2 Fastfire speedloaders

4) Dies, Assorted bullets, some 357 Mag, Long Colt and Short Colt brass and a 5 gallon bucket of 38 Spl brass

5) 250 rounds of 38 Spcl loaded to make USPSA Major. The same ammo I shot the SC Sectional with.

Basically everything he needs to shoot except a belt.

And a copy of Jerry's Advanced Ultimate Revolver if I can find it.

The Dades should serve him well and may be the fastest of the group and get him in a competitve mode. later rdd

• 2 weeks later...

Spent some time with the revolver. Not bad at all. Well, the revolver isn't bad; I'm the same marginally adequate shooter. I do need to get some loading practice in before the Nov Tallahassee match.

Leam