Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm recipe for standard 124 grain jacketed bullet. Help please.

Pathfinder1

Need some help as a new reloader. I have a Dillon 550b on it's way from the Enos Store, and until it arrives with the Speer book of reloading that I also ordered, does anyone know a proper recipe to load the same as a factory standard 9mm 124 grain jacket bullet. That's basically what I'm going to load for awhile and at least start with. I'm trying to get my mind around it before everything arrives. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Need some help as a new reloader. I have a Dillon 550b on it's way from the Enos Store, and until it arrives with the Speer book of reloading that I also ordered, does anyone know a proper recipe to load the same as a factory standard 9mm 124 grain jacket bullet. That's basically what I'm going to load for awhile and at least start with. I'm trying to get my mind around it before everything arrives. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'd like to think my reloads are better than the factory stuff. Think about 3.9gr of VV N320 set at 1.155 with a 124gr RN Jacketed with a small pistol primer or 4.2gr of TiteGroup same length. This will put you around 1050-1100 fps about the same as factory ammo. N320 is a lot cleaner than factory or TiteGroup.

There are lots of loads of 9 mm here on the forum, just have a look around aka search.

Sometimes it's known what powder factory ammo is loaded with, but it's often something we don't have access to, so don't get too concerned with trying to exactly duplicate their ammo. I'd order/buy a copy of the Loadbooks "One book/One Caliber because it has data from all the major bullet and powder manufacturers in one place...it's inexpensive, and really handy. While I know what Ron meant when he said his ammo was "better" than factory ammo, don't confuse that; none of us can realistically produce ammo that's as reliable and consistent as a major manufacturer, but we can tailor the load to our guns and uses, which makes it "better" for what we're doing.

Have you picked a powder yet? Go to the 9mm subforum and read up on the favorite powder thread and that should help, but I'm with both Ron and Sarge....hard to go wrong with N320...very clean and soft. R,

Don't get too far ahead of yourself. Your first stop needs to be your favorite reading spot where you can study up on reloading. Read some manuals (Lyman 49th is a good starter) and how-to books (the more, the better). Be sure you know the basics before load the first round. A bunch of powders work fine in the 9, but your biggest constraint might be availability in your area. There is a better availability of powders online than there was just a few months ago, but shipping of powders and primers (hazmat fees) is high so it is best to buy in bulk if you go that route. Have fun!

Ive never tried N320, but people seem to like it. I like Titegroup for my JHP loads and I can get it locally for $14/lb. Its not "dirty" but what I would call more of a "soot" or dust. It wipes off easily. I use solo 1000 for my lead and moly loads.

I will agree with G-Man on the One book/One Caliber. I have them in 9mm and .45 and they're great for checking loads and data.

See if anyone close to you or that you shoot with will loan or sell/give you a half pound of powder or a couple powders. Then you can try some out, and buy in BULK when you pick one.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself. Your first stop needs to be your favorite reading spot where you can study up on reloading. Read some manuals (Lyman 49th is a good starter) and how-to books (the more, the better). Be sure you know the basics before load the first round. A bunch of powders work fine in the 9, but your biggest constraint might be availability in your area. There is a better availability of powders online than there was just a few months ago, but shipping of powders and primers (hazmat fees) is high so it is best to buy in bulk if you go that route. Have fun!

Good point about availability. I used Winchester 231 for a while, but have found it nearly impossible to locate any in my vicinity- HP-38, either. I use Power Pistol now. If you want to try it, I know that 6.0 gr. of PP behind a 124/125gr. FMJ is darn accurate. YMMV, of course, especially in shooting! Good luck in your search.

Chuck

Wow. Thanks for the all the info. Some of the terminology and product names are beyond my "knucklehead beginner’s level" at this point though. Sorry. Best to explain to me for now as if you were talking to your grandmother. After taking this all into consideration I went on line to order the primers, powder and bullets. I ended up at Midway because they had everything in one place, and I really need to keep ALL of these aspects simple until I get rolling a bit. I had trouble finding certain products/brands in one place so I ended up with what amounts and brand names I could afford and find. That ended up being 500 jacket Rainier 115gr bullets (I’ve been shooting 115 factory so I figured better to stick with that to start), plus 1Lb of Hodges TiteGroup, and 1000 Federal Primers. Because I wasn't ordering large quantities the extra charges were brutal...hazmat, handling, shipping etc. So after my "OH SHIT moment" I found a gun store about 20 miles north of me, called, and they said they could give me the same for all, for $167.00 which was about $35 at least cheaper than if I got that small quantity at Midway. Anyway, that's what I'm going to use for my first "training batch" because it easy to acquire for now, and it's good enough to also get me using the machine… unless you guys think there's something wrong that won't work right with this first batch. My thinking is these loads just need to go safely "Bang" for this first 500.That’s all I need them to do for now. So if these first trial components will work, what would be the loading recipe and specs you guys would use if you had to use this collection of components? Thanks, Love Grandma . PS I have the Speer book coming from Brian with the 550 and I'm going to order the "One Book/ One Caliber for 9mm" tonight...and eat your vegetables

I also load with the 550 and just finished a load with the exact products you bought. 4.2 TiteGroup @ 1.140 for a G34.

Also as mentioned search the 9mm reloading section and type in " pet 9mm load" plenty of info. good luck

If you can get some other bullet, I'd recommend it to start....Rainer and Berry's are plated (copper washed, not jacketed). They can be made to work in some guns, but they can be really picky about crimp settings and how much you flare the case mouth to seat the bullet. It's not like they'll hurt anything, but you might get bullets that tumble. Almost any 115-125gr FMJ would be a better alternative for starting out. R,

i cooked up a new load for some

124g MG JHPs

4.2g TG

1.105 OAL

New XDm9

4.5 inch barrel / 1:10 twist

chrono'd from 10 shots:

FPS

Hi: 1151

Lo: 1103

Avg:1130

groups as good as you would need it to at 25yds

Edited by Field

The MG 124 grain JHP's are very accurate. I use them with minor loads for my XD-9 and Spartan 1911. I also use them with my major Open loads through my Brazos SX. I tend to use these and the 125 grain Zero's. Both are very accurate and the quality is extremely consistent.

For either bullet in 9mm minor I use 3.8 grains of Hogdon's Clays. I also use this powder for my .45 ACP loads so it simplifies my inventory needs.

Good recommendations. I load 4.2 N320 @1.13 with a Montana Gold 124 FMJ. Gets 135 PF which is a little hotter than low cost factory stuff. Still a very mild load though.

how are those montana gold 124's ? they pretty accurate ?

The MG bullet is a fine product.

That ended up being 500 jacket Rainier 115gr bullets (I’ve been shooting 115 factory so I figured better to stick with that to start), plus 1Lb of Hodges TiteGroup, and 1000 Federal Primers. for all, for $167.00

Anyway, that's what I'm going to use for my first "training batch" because it easy to acquire for now, and it's good enough to also get me using the machine… unless you guys think there's something wrong

Sounds like a good start, but some ideas for "batch #2", and even batch #1.

1. don't load all 500 Rainiers at once - try a dozen or two, and make sure

they feed and fire properly without too much primer flattening, and

are reasonably accurate.

2. triple check your powder charge - actually set it for your desired load

and then throw about five or so and dump them back into the hopper, and

then throw ten loads into the pan and weigh all ten (and divide by ten)

to get your actual powder charge

3. Same with the OAL - triple check that you are really where you want to

be - a high primer will make it seem longer than it is - and OAL will

change a little bit after you load a few - calipers can go wrong, or

easy to read 1.114 as 1.14, and there's a big difference.

4. Buy larger quantities at a time - get 8 lbs powder (you've selected a

good powder - you won't go wrong with it); buy a case of MG bullets -

go back to your idea of the heavier bullets (124's are "better" than

115's (and 147's are even better than 124"s). You got some very good

primers - buy 5,000 of them next time = you'll save a lot of money.

Good luck.

Thanks Jack.

Ok...well here's what I finally actually ended up with, and are now in possesion of for when my 550 gets here from Brians Store this week. Taking all this posts generous help into consideration and what was actually available to me, I ordered 1000 Montana Gold 124gr FMJ bullets last night, and picked up the 1000 Federal primers with 1lb. of w231. Total cost was $161 and I see now how buying in bulk would really make a difference. I'll do that once I get the new loader going with a good recipe for these components. Specific recipes for what I now actually have are welcomed. I have two loading books coming too. Thank you all so much for your time in helping me with this.:)