Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Nationals Slots

Shooter Grrl

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow SG,

Good job on the moderation...you even dug up an old post on the subject.  

Here is, according to Jeff Maass, the way we do it in Ohio:

USPSA NATIONALS 2002 SLOTS WAITING LIST OPENS JANUARY 1! In the Ohio Section, there are four ways you can obtain a slot to the USPSA National Championships. The first is by being in the Top 16 at the previous years' match(ed. Nationals). The second is winning one at a USPSA Area Championship. The third  is to be awarded one of the slots earned by one of the USPSA Affiliated Clubs in Ohio. The fourth is to be  on the USPSA waiting list at HQ in Sedro Woolley for one of the other slots that become available when someone cannot use it. USPSA has advised me that any competitor can request to be placed on the waiting list for the 2002 USPSA Nationals slots by sending a letter, FAX, or email (to kim@uspsa.org)  after January 1, 2002. The request must be in writing directed to Kimberley!

Each USPSA Affiliated Club in the Ohio Section determines how it assigns the slot it earns through activity reported to USPSA. More attendance means more slots to assign. We (ed. local club) normally have one slot to Open and one slot to Limited Nationals. For many years, our slots have been awarded to the shooters who express interest, with final selection from the candidates sorted based on the number of IPSC matches they attended in that year at PCSI(ed. local clubin Ohio) and their participation in the work (set up, tear down, prop repairs, etc.) required to make the matches available for all to enjoy. If you want to earn a PCSI slot for the 2002 Nationals, plan to attend all of our monthly matches and help out!  

• 3 years later...

I know how slots to the Natl's are earned, but I'm not sure of if there is a minumum number of shooters required.

If you win your class at an Area match, does that automatically give you a slot? Or is there a certain number that have to be in your div/class in order to get a slot?

I won my div at Area 4 last year, 21 total shooters in my division and there were 4 in my class. Did that get me a slot?

It is overall placement within the divison. Class has nothing to do with it. You need 20 in the divison to qualify. Area matches and select Level III matches.

One slot per division with 20 or more shooters. Sounds like you should get a slot if you won your division (overall) at A4.

Rex

Just give sedro a shout and they can tell you if you have a slot or not. They called me for this past nationals and told me I won a slot at area 4 the year before. They asked if I wanted it and I turned it down. I think that was like in Jan or Feb.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started making slot calls for the 2006 shooting season. PLEASE make sure your phone numbers/email addresses are up-to-date in our database. I'm getting a lot of wrong numbers or that annoying operator lady with the nasally voice telling me, "this number is no longer in service" -- if you've moved recently or changed cell phone providers just drop us an email with your new info. I only try for so long before moving on to the next in line. I don't want to do that if you won the slot and you're interested in attending.

Thanks!

Kim [at] uspsa [dot] org

I've started making slot calls for the 2006 shooting season. I only try for so long before moving on to the next in line.

I don't want to do that if you won the slot and you're interested in attending.

Thanks!

Kim [at] uspsa [dot] org

So what would happen if the person was not sure about using their slot for the yet to be determined SSD nationals (like I've got much of a chance at winning a slot.....only if a bunch of you don't answer your phones!). :)

Edited by SteveZ

Last year I earned a slot by being High "A" at Area 3 in my Division, and 2nd overall. Since I was able to repeat this year at Area 3 I assume that I will once again be offered a slot. I hope that is the case, so I don't have to beat up anyone at our club to get a slot from them.

Well, let's see, I accept flowers, jewelry, cars, guns, and cash...

Okay, okay, I kid. None of that will really work. If you haven't earned a slot, the best thing to do is get on the wait list immediately when it opens May 1st. Mark your calendars, put it in your palm pilots, tattoo it on your foreheads, something. In 2005 we didn't get to everyone on the wait list and we had a line at registration for both matches waiting for no-shows.

Conversely, if you think you won a slot and you're not sure if you can go or not the best thing to do is to accept it. You can always turn the slot back in before the deadline if it turns out you're unable to attend. However, if you turn it down and it turns out later you do want to go, there's no way I can get the slot back for you once I've passed it on to the next person in line. At that point your only recourse is to get on the wait list, pay the higher fee and hope for the best. However, don't accept the slot frivolously. If you really don't think you're going to make the match don't accept it just because you can. It's not fair to those who are waiting behind you in line who do intend to go.

If you think you won a slot, but you're not sure, feel free to drop me a line telling me your circumstances and I'll be happy to look it up for you. Though I've started the calls, I've got 8 areas with 5 divisions in each, not to mention the extra tournaments to get to so it might be awhile before I get to you.

Hope this helps!

Kim

Well, let's see, I accept flowers, jewelry, cars, guns, and cash...

Okay, okay, I kid. None of that will really work. If you haven't earned a slot, the best thing to do is get on the wait list immediately when it opens May 1st. Mark your calendars, put it in your palm pilots, tattoo it on your foreheads, something. In 2005 we didn't get to everyone on the wait list and we had a line at registration for both matches waiting for no-shows.

Conversely, if you think you won a slot and you're not sure if you can go or not the best thing to do is to accept it. You can always turn the slot back in before the deadline if it turns out you're unable to attend. However, if you turn it down and it turns out later you do want to go, there's no way I can get the slot back for you once I've passed it on to the next person in line. At that point your only recourse is to get on the wait list, pay the higher fee and hope for the best. However, don't accept the slot frivolously. If you really don't think you're going to make the match don't accept it just because you can. It's not fair to those who are waiting behind you in line who do intend to go.

If you think you won a slot, but you're not sure, feel free to drop me a line telling me your circumstances and I'll be happy to look it up for you. Though I've started the calls, I've got 8 areas with 5 divisions in each, not to mention the extra tournaments to get to so it might be awhile before I get to you.

Hope this helps!

Kim

Well, Kim, guns it is and Ive got plenty. :lol:

Kim just called today to offer me a slot at Nationals (Limited).

I have been before, but only because my local club had a slot available.

This is the first year I actually earned one.

This is great....Made my day. :D

Tls

Edited by tlshores

OK, lemme get this straight:

You EARN a slot at the 2006 nationals by having done well in the 2005 Nationals, or an Area or Section championship, or other major match in 2005, yes?

Your club gets some slots based on activity in 2005, which it can distribute at it's own discression?

You can put yourself on the wait list, and hope you get a slot?

Thanks for the help,

DogmaDog

Almost, but not quite. 2006 Slots are awarded to:

Returning champions from 2005 Nationals

Champions from 2005 (8) Area Championships

Champions from the first (8) qualifying (other) 2005 Tournament (now officially called Level II) championships

Also, sanctioned matches do not qualify. Nor do club matches. And not every Tournament (Or Level II) match qualifies. It must be a level II, it must be one of the first 8 of the year to apply for tournament status, and it must meet all the requirements and be awarded that status before it qualifies for slot distribution.

In addition, each section also earns slots depending on how much activity said section had the previous year. Say clubs in section X hosted a ton of matches in 2005, while clubs in section Z hosted only one. Accordingly, section X would be awarded more slots than section Z. I can't say exactly how many, for then I would have to kill you. Okay, not really. The real reason I can't say exactly how many is because it involves complex calculations with dynamic numbers. These numbers are dynamic because it depends on how many total slots are available, what the match capacity is going to be, how many matches we'll have, etc. These sections will be sent however many slots they have earned and they must then distribute them to the clubs within their section. However, they don't just distribute them at their discretion. Sections have (or very well should have) bylaws that govern the distribution of these slots to their clubs. Clubs within the sections should, in turn, have bylaws governing distribution of these slots to the individuals within their clubs.

More in-depth information about how these slots are awarded is available here: USPSA Nationals Slot Policy (pdf). This document includes info about how the slots are distributed to returning nationals champs, area champs, and tournament champions. It was written based on the first Factory/Race Gun Nationals, but it's a universal policy regardless of what the nats venue turns out to be. A couple more notes: the policy also looks at participation for all levels of distribution, across the board. In order for a category or class to be recognized, there must be five or more in the category or class. Five juniors, five ladies, five seniors, five 'As', five 'Ds' etc. If there's not five or more, then I won't award a slot for that class or category. At any level. For divisions, there's a different breakdown of participation levels, detailed in the policy. Also, to win an area championship class win slot, you must be from the area in which the competition was held. In other words, if you won high A at area 4, you must be from area 4 in order to be eligible to for the slot. This does not apply to category wins or high overall wins from area championships, only class wins.

And, finally, as was pointed out several times if you have not earned a slot in 2005 please don't hesitate to get thyself to the waitlist when it opens on May 1st. It's a last resort, but it's a good one. It's $20 to sign up on the wait list, but we take that $20 off your entry fee if you get a slot. If you aren't offered a slot we'll refund it to you.

Hope that helps!

Kim

Edited by Kimberley