Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody made GM with a .40 in Open?

G-ManBart

I think it would just be a matter of A GM trying, A .40 open wouldnt be best for match use and the round count may get you on many stages here and there, but I honestly dont see why it would make any difference on qualifiers, seems almost all qualifiers are either less than what a typical 170mm .40 mag (or even 140mm mag for that matter) can hold or have mandatory reloads.

Now the cool thing would be to do it with an open revolver.

I think it would just be a matter of A GM trying, A .40 open wouldnt be best for match use and the round count may get you on many stages here and there, but I honestly dont see why it would make any difference on qualifiers, seems almost all qualifiers are either less than what a typical 170mm .40 mag (or even 140mm mag for that matter) can hold or have mandatory reloads.

Now the cool thing would be to do it with an open revolver.

Im pretty sure Jerry did it. I dont think he shoots a bottomfeeder in open...

Im pretty sure Jerry did it. I dont think he shoots a bottomfeeder in open...

i think i saw him with a 2011 shooting open 3gun...not sure if he uses it for just uspsa or not.

I think the Vogel making GM with irons and shooting minor(im assuming minor out of his g17) is pretty darn impressive!

as someone else said, i dont think a 40 would burn you too bad if you just shot classifiers to get a GM card, capacity usually isnt an issue on them. now winning a major with one and beating other GMs is worth talking about.

as someone else said, i dont think a 40 would burn you too bad if you just shot classifiers to get a GM card, capacity usually isnt an issue on them. now winning a major with one and beating other GMs is worth talking about.

As someone who shoots a .40 open I would say it's possible. I have had stage finishes over GM's at majors, yes it was a stage that had more than my big stick would hold, therefore a reload and yes they ran their stage's clean. Can I do it all the time? No, but then again I am not a GM nor would a 40 round mag help. To much other stuff in the way, time, money, desire, dedication you know, the things it takes to BE a GM not just MAKE GM. I bet if you gave Max a .40 he could still win. It would be a little tighter but I bet he could do it.

There's a big thread somewhere on .40 open that gets into all the different mag setups,,,, I can get 22+1 in a mag just slightly over the limited gauge, I think the 170's are getting about 25.

Flyin40 is probably asking how many rounds the top Open shooters get in their 38/9mm guns. (Max, KC, JJ, TJ, Chris)

Yep, JJ gets 28 or at least thats what he said in Shooting Usa when he was giving stage breakdown with Phil Strader. I'm pretty sure Max won nationals with a 28rd big stick. I think Brad Balsley gets 28rds. Anyone know what Chris, KC or any other top shooters?? I think Todd uses a 30rd stick.

Anyways my point is I get 27+1. So these guys are getting one more round than me. They can get more but don't see a need for it.

I don't know of anyone making GM in Open with a 40. I don't see me making it in the near future either since I don't really shoot matches anymore and definitely haven't practiced in the last 2 yrs except for a couple times. I talked with Bevin about it and he said the only reason he switched was because of 9mm and the cost of brass. He said if it wasn't for the 9 he would still be shooting 40.

Flyin

Flyin40 is probably asking how many rounds the top Open shooters get in their 38/9mm guns. (Max, KC, JJ, TJ, Chris)

Yep, JJ gets 28 or at least thats what he said in Shooting Usa when he was giving stage breakdown with Phil Strader. I'm pretty sure Max won nationals with a 28rd big stick. I think Brad Balsley gets 28rds. Anyone know what Chris, KC or any other top shooters?? I think Todd uses a 30rd stick.

Anyways my point is I get 27+1. So these guys are getting one more round than me. They can get more but don't see a need for it.

I've got three 30rd mags, and one 31rd mag (and several that are 28 or 29). I had to send the 31rd mag back for some tuning, and they kill springs quickly, but they can be made to work. 30rd mags aren't too hard to come by...I'd be surprised if most, if not all, of the top guys at least have a 30rd big stick. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

From a classifier perspective - there is no real disadvantage in using a 40 vs a 9mm flavor. I made M and was a 0.2% from making GM having only 10 rounds in my magazines while living in Hawaii.

The real disadvantage is going to be differences in how the two calibers times and recoils.....the 40 isn't going to be as quick and/or as flat as the 9mm flavors due to size of the round. But then again, the 40 isn't going to keep in you C-Class if you have Master class skills.

I think the Vogel making GM with irons and shooting minor(im assuming minor out of his g17) is pretty darn impressive!

He didn't shoot minor ..... he was shooting 9mm MAJOR. I was there, and it was sick watching him nail 100%'ers in Open, but with iron sights. :rolleyes: