Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N310 for .40 Minor

BR

I have some N310 and a bunch of Precision moly .40 185s, and was thinking this combo might make a nice minor load for production. Yes, I know Precision does not recommend 310 with its moly bullets, but I have the stuff and figured it might be worth a try. Will be used in a glock .40, so OAL probably around 1.135 or so.

Please let me know if you ACTUALLY have used N310 for .40 minor. I think somewhere around 3.0 to 3.3 should do the trick, if the accuracy and feel are there. If this is not a great combo, then I will find something else to load with the 310. Thank you.

-br

• 3 years later...

Brilliant observation that the guy hasn't been on here in three years. However, to the poster today that's thinking about loading 40 with N310, it's not a good idea unless you're really interested in blowing your gun up or your hand off.

Brilliant observation that the guy hasn't been on here in three years. However, to the poster today that's thinking about loading 40 with N310, it's not a good idea unless you're really interested in blowing your gun up or your hand off.

DH47, No. Verybad idea. vv310 is very fast. You might use it in 9mm with a 90gn bullet, but mostly it's used in .45. You are literally in danger of blowing your 40SW gun apart.

Thank you for the concern (not meant sarcastically). I understand the risk associated with N310. I will be using it for a minor load, I'm not trying to make major with it.

Edited by darkhelmet47

If I were going to load it for a glock with a short OAL, I would use something else. If I were going to load it long (1.2"+) then I would load up 20 with small pistol primers and look for pressure signs.

Have you checked the VV site for any load data on 310?

There is obviously no problem with using any available powder on the market as long as you come at the situation with safety in mind.

There is a happy medium in the powder charge range that you can have N310 safely operate with no ill effects. Too little powder can cause detonation or multiple flame fronts that will result in an over pressure and BOOM! Too much powder causes a rise to a pressure that will find the weakest point in the system and BOOM!

Somewhere in the middle (low of middle) is where you start with your load development. There are many signs that can tell you what is going on during ignition, yet most of the signs are not perfect by any means. Without a strain gauge and some really fancy equipment you'll never really know your exact pressure or how safe a certain pressure is for your given parts. Most people load a few at a time, test, and inspect the brass and gun for signs of problems. This method seems to work for a lot of people without fail. Look for mashed primers, bulged areas around the base of the brass that is not supported by the chamber (and typically not touched by a sizing die), cracks or wrinkles, etc

Start low, work slow (like BBQ), and keep your head out of your Azz and all will be well. Then when you get something working good Publish it somewhere so we can reference it on internet forums instead of regurgitating the typical "Thats a bad idea, you're gona hurt stuff, no one even says thats a good idea"

Matt @ LoadHouston.com

There is obviously no problem with using any available powder on the market as long as you come at the situation with safety in mind.

There is a happy medium in the powder charge range that you can have N310 safely operate with no ill effects. Too little powder can cause detonation or multiple flame fronts that will result in an over pressure and BOOM! Too much powder causes a rise to a pressure that will find the weakest point in the system and BOOM!

Somewhere in the middle (low of middle) is where you start with your load development. There are many signs that can tell you what is going on during ignition, yet most of the signs are not perfect by any means. Without a strain gauge and some really fancy equipment you'll never really know your exact pressure or how safe a certain pressure is for your given parts. Most people load a few at a time, test, and inspect the brass and gun for signs of problems. This method seems to work for a lot of people without fail. Look for mashed primers, bulged areas around the base of the brass that is not supported by the chamber (and typically not touched by a sizing die), cracks or wrinkles, etc

Start low, work slow (like BBQ), and keep your head out of your Azz and all will be well. Then when you get something working good Publish it somewhere so we can reference it on internet forums instead of regurgitating the typical "Thats a bad idea, you're gona hurt stuff, no one even says thats a good idea"

Matt @ LoadHouston.com

+1.

Matt @ LoadHouston.com

+1.

+2! Been using N310 for my 40 S&Ws pistols for ages and never had problems.Once I noticed that the cases were bulged where they were unsupported by the feed ramp and that happened with 220grs jacketed bullets with a load on the "hot" side.If you work your way slowly you will be fine but remember that cases will weaken soon,therefore you'd be better off using N310 either for ammo you'll shoot in matches or for minor loads.I cannot give you my minor "recipes" because they're on a PDF on another PC but I'll do that soon!

HTH

Manu

Played with 310 in 9 and 40. Yes it can be used carefully safely. One of the best metering powders for pistol but I experienced huge fluctuations in velocity and lack of accuracy. These days and unfortunately you use what you find on the shelf and 310 seems to be available at the moment.

Played with 310 in 9 and 40. Yes it can be used carefully safely. One of the best metering powders for pistol but I experienced huge fluctuations in velocity and lack of accuracy. These days and unfortunately you use what you find on the shelf and 310 seems to be available at the moment.

+I tried it for 9mm minor, .40 minor, .45 minor and major.

Velocity swings and lack of accuracy was my experience too, until approaching major with .45.

I've read that the Marines are running 4.5 grains behind a Nosler 185 jhp, for their accuracy load. I must be loading longer than they do because I had to go to 4.9 grains before velocities leveled out, and then, accuracy was outstanding.

• 2 months later...

Personally I love n310 for major, but for minor I thought it sucked. It felt very harsh in my glock 22 behind a 180gr montana gold JHP.

3.2gr n310 1.135 180mtg-720

Would like to try it behind a 175 coated LSWC or 180plated for minor.

Edited by Russellhjoy

What's your major load, if you don't mind me asking? I'm especially interested since you're loading it in a Glock.

Sorry, I should have mentioned the major loads are for a 5in schuemann in an SVI. I would be very careful loading major with n310 in a glock/short chamber. My load is a 175gr sns LSWC with 4.4gr n310 @ 1.215 (IF you load this to fit in a glock it will most likely blow out your mag and ruin your gun). This runs about 970fps or 170PF. You could try to work up a load but I wouldnt recommend it, especially if you're shooting a 4in. Here is some more data you might find useful for working up a load.

---------------------------------------------------------------

180gr Montana Gold JHP & N310

Glock 22 - 3.2gr N310 @ 1.135 = 720fps ---> this load felt like garbage

SVI - 4.6gr N310 @ 1.205 = 967fps ---> feels good but is sensitive to loading method and can tumble. 5.2gr WST @ 1.215 is much better with this bullet.

-------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW, I think n310 loaded short will always feel like garbage compared to loading long. Ive tried loading my favorite glock 22 minor load, plated 180gr Xtreme bullet & 3.6gr WST @1.30, with n310 to the same length & PF and it feels terrible by comparison. Ive tested quite a few powders in my glock trying to find the optimal load and I think WST is the way to go, at least for minor but I'm sure it would be great for major as well. If you have tried WST and think something else feels better, let me know and Id love to compare the two. So far Ive tried N310, N320, Titegroup, WST, E3, Bullseye, Competition, and I dont know why I even bothered but Power Pistol. WST feeling the best for me.

Edited by Russellhjoy

• 4 weeks later...

This question is over 3 years old and the OP hasn't been here since January 2013.

The OP regularly has been here since his OP, but does not post unless he has something relevant to say.

I did try N310 and Precision 185s and shot that combo in a couple matches. Easily made 135 pf in a G35 without any pressure signs. Very soft, ok accuracy, and surprisingly quiet -- just a soft pop, almost on .22 rimfire level. However, I was getting keyholes in the target, and later learned that I either had too much or not enough crimp with the Precisions, I do not remember which after 3 years. Got tired of chasing the mouse-fart dragon and went back to 9mm for production. Much prefer the consistency of N320 with a 124 or 147 bullet, or any 9mm that is already loaded - I don't enjoy reloading. Cheers.

-br