Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1 oz or 1 1/8 oz of shot?

strat81

Now that my SX2 no longer has broken parts, I took it out to the range. It ran everything like a champ, including some Winchester Super X 1oz #7 1/2 1250fps game loads. Recoil was a bit milder, but the gun chucked those hulls out with authority, just as far as the 1 1/8oz loads I had on hand, so I'm not concerned about cycling issues.

For the typical 20 yard falling steel or even Texas stars, is there any drawback to using a 1oz load?

Also, I'm starting to roll my own 12ga - should I look into #6 shot (or even #4) or stick with #7 1/2?

Now that my SX2 no longer has broken parts, I took it out to the range. It ran everything like a champ, including some Winchester Super X 1oz #7 1/2 1250fps game loads. Recoil was a bit milder, but the gun chucked those hulls out with authority, just as far as the 1 1/8oz loads I had on hand, so I'm not concerned about cycling issues.

For the typical 20 yard falling steel or even Texas stars, is there any drawback to using a 1oz load?

Also, I'm starting to roll my own 12ga - should I look into #6 shot (or even #4) or stick with #7 1/2?

Opinons may vary, but I favor the 1 1/8oz load over the 1 oz. With perfect hits, either SHOULD take down most any target at moderate ranges. . . but most of us have less than perfect hits when shooting on the clock. The heavier load gives you more wiggle-room if you're slightly off target or if the target is especially heavy. I shot the LaRue MG match two years ago and they had a TX star with targets sprung so tightly that normal birdshot wouldn't reliably take them down. I ended up shooting #4 duck loads and still had to centerpunch the plates with the shot pattern to knock them off - some used #4 buck to good effect.

On the shot size, some ranges (at least locally around CENTEX) limit the size shot you may fire. Probably no inherent issue with using the larger shot unless you're going to be shooting clays - then you'd want the denser shot pattern and more pellets associated with smaller shot.

I like an ounce and an eight as a general load. But in any event, you always need some pheasant loads and/or buck in your kit, at least for major matches. I, too, shot the TX star at Larue and used #4 buck after watching many a shooter struggle on it (although I think the majority of people's problems was lack of choke).

Shot the 1oz loads myself and have not had a problem with them. I also run some choke though and do not try to run a cylinder. I would pattern some of the shells to see how they pattern in your gun. You are looking for the useable pattern, with good coverage not the fringe. I have found alot of quality 1oz loads patten quite well. I just prefer the lack of recoil they offer as well

I'd say run the 1oz loads to save a little money for practice and 1 1/8 during matches. Personally I load 1 1/8oz of #6 shot for everything and run a modified choke. That allows me to take whatever target I want from nearly any position I choose.

• 1 month later...

"Premium" 1oz loads will perform pretty darn well for the most part. I run a lot of the 1oz Fiocchi premium target loads in matches.

I would prefer to engage a texas star with 6's though...just to be sure.

Cheap 1oz loads will have cheap shot and cheap wads...and will perform poorly, at least in my experience.

My SX2 won't reliably cycle 1 oz Gun Club loads. Anything else w/ 1 1/8 oz and 3 dram (1200 fps) equivalent works like a champ. My club restricts steel to 7 1/2 or smaller, but running a mod choke hasn't been a problem on the plate rack or poppers as long as I carry my end of the log.

I think the right choke has a lot to do with what loads you shoot, but at our local 3-gun I had some problems for the first time with the Texas Star. I think it was a combination of the wrong choke and a couple of sticky springs on the star. I normally shoot my SX3 with a 26" barrel and IM choke with Win Super X heavy target loads with 7 1/2 shot and 1 1/8 loads and have had no problems, but experimented with my Skeet choke. Not a good idea. Left 2 stars. Back to my normal choke.I also picked up a couple of boxes of #6 heavy pheasant loads, just in case.

Remington heavy dove or Win Super X heavy target loads- both with 7 1/2 shot and 1 1/8 loads. IC choke in the gun for everything. IF on that rare occasion you are faced with a really hard to knock down steel or something similar just break out the high brass 6's.......

It is totally irrelevant whether you pick 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz based simply on weight and number of pellets. The only way to really know is to pattern your gun and see which loads keep the largest percentage of pellets in a 30 inch circle at 25- 30 yards with the choke you are going to use. If you use 1 1/8 oz loads and get a bunch of flyers out of the pattern it does not do any good to have the extra pellets. I have seen quite a few guns that patterned better with 1 oz loads than 1 1/8 oz. The most important factor is the Dram Equivilent of Powder (from the black powder days) you need for reliable operation.

For just blasting I generally use a 7/8 or 1 ounce load since it's cheaper to load and my Gold will cycle these light weights. .. when I shoot matches, I usually use something in the 3 1/4 - 1 1/8 range, 4, 6, or 7.5's and change up my choke if there are any problem targets... I also carry a box or two of #4 buck.. just in case.

Edited by sargenv