Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Docter style sight on the slide

OPENB

Buddy had a Burris Fastfire mount that fit in a Bomar dovetail he had no use for. I mounted it up on my open gun, and put on a Docter clone I got off a vendor on AR15.com. Lasted all of 30 rounds, lens cracked and the diode came unglued inside the sight, dot went off the screen. Do any of these micro sized sights stay together? The Fastfire seems to be the most economical of them from a name brand. Docter and Trijicon are a bit high for my taste, and Insight is crazy. Heard Jpoint is iffy, just the Optima rebadged. I really liked the low mount of the sight, but if it isn't reliable, I'll stick with Cmore. Everyone's experience with any of these sights is great. Will be mounted on an open STI 5" with Bedell comp, major 9mm.

I tried an optima for a while, did the whole Arredondo double battery package for better brighter dot, it was ok, but as we all know, you have to pullthe whole thing off to change batteries, and then go an re-zero...what a PITA....tho i liked it for what it was, and it held up ok, the battery pack/change was a pain and i swapped out for my C-more

I have 2 open pistols with slide mounted Optima/ Fire Point/ J Point.

• The first one was done by SHPD (built around 1997-98) where the Optima weaver mount was trimmed down and screwed in to the slide retaining the location points between the mount and optic to aid in not losing zero when changing batteries. I have changed batteries numerous times and never lost Zero. This Is Optima that was a replacement under warranty when the first lens became loose in the body, no issues in 125,000 rounds since on this optic.

• The second one has the Arredondo double battery package that Arredondo milled the slide for this has location points machined in to the slide. I have changed batteries numerous times and never lost Zero on this set up either. This Is Fire Point picked up on close out, no issues in 125,000 rounds on this optic. The electronics are becoming tired; the dot is not as bright as it uses to be even with a double battery. I will be trying the Delta point as a replacement soon.

On both guns I have no issues with retaining zero and only re-zero when making a change to my load.

I tried a Pride Fowler and it did not last, the battery door screws striped themselves under recoil in less than 1,000 rounds.

Out.

2011BLDR

Edited by 2011BLDR

Bob, I have run the same Optima on my open gun slide since 2005 with no problems. The lens is somewhat marked up and the dot is more of a star, but it keeps zero if the screws are tight. The downside is you have to remove the sight to change the battery, but it kept zero the last time I changed it. My new gun will have a Cmore STS on a frame mount, but not because of problems with the slide mounted Optima.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Bob, you said the magic word ....... you tried a CLONE of a Doctor. Was probably made in China or Taiwan or something. You should know from talking about scopes on rifles ..... you get what you pay for when it comes to optics.

I shot a J-Point on an open Glock for awhile, never had any problems. I also know the Doctor is a good, reliable sight. But look into the C-More STS sight. They are very rugged, but the most exciting thing about them is the ability to change the battery without disturbing the alignment or zero of the dot. Very nice sight, and very well made.

I know, specially in optics you get what you paid for. Larry had problems with a Docter, and I keep reading about the FastFire not holding up. The Trijicon RMR has caught my eye; it seems like it would hold up well. But my Cmore keeps doing what it is supposed to do, just have to check zero often. My original idea was to have a limited top end built for my open gun for tac optic 3 gun, so I could just swap slide assemblies to switch divisions and not have to unscrew a Cmore, then re-zero it when I put it back on. I should have bought the used Eagle 9mm on the classified couple weeks ago.