Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Laser or .22 conversion kit for better accuracy training?

seeds76

Do you think a laser will produce more input as to what a shooter needs to work on with accuracy specifically trigger control? For example, with a laser you can see exactly what is occurring right before you press the trigger.

Or

Do you think a .22 conversion kit is a better investment for accuracy training? Example: shooting more rounds for cheap produces more quality technique training and muscle memory?

I'm trying to figure out which one will help me more with accuracy/trigger control issues.

Not sure if you're shooting iron sights or a red dot, but if you're shooting iron sights I'd say stick with the .22. Using a laser will force you to look at the laser dot on the target, when your eyes really should be focused on the sights (especially the front sight) for precision shooting.

I only shoot iron sights, but I would guess that if you're using a red dot and a laser, you'll see two dots on target - one from the scope and one from the laser - which might be a bit confusing.

For dry firing, I really like using my laser. I got a cheap laser off amazon and I use it to help with trigger control. I'll dry fire and make sure i keep my sights/laser on my target with the least amount of movement. I also use my laser for practicing target acquisition, I'll switch between targets getting use to putting my sights on center mass with out needing much aim.

Definitely the .22 conversion. The .22 will simulate real shooting and trigger control much better than a laser will IMO. I have a .22 conversion for my production gun (glock) and it has already paid for itself many times over in the $$$ I've saved in ammo. I don't use it for practicing recoil control, but for practicing SHO, WHO, draw, transitions and general accuracy at speed its terrific. When I dry fire at home I prefer to focus most on my sights.

CAZ

Like the man said, if you are using an Open gun, the laser might work. But if you are using iron sights definitely no. Even with an open gun you might find some interesting learning patterns. I always remember Seeklander talking about training scars and how long you have to practice to get rid of them.

With a .22 conversion you are not going to be adjusting from one dry fire mode to a different live fire mode.

The Tactical Solutions upper can be modified to shoot both iron and C-more by just changing out the upper rail. You can get mags for both single stack and wide body. You might have to adjust the ejector a bit although I have heard that are being shipped with it modified. I can use my TS on my SS, Limited and convert my Limited to Open.

The .22 will allow you to work on your technique without dealing with recoil. And the volume of practice rounds really lets you dial in your technique.

Mine fits my Bladetech holster. The upper rail sometimes causes issues with other holsters.

.22 conversion all the way. Personally, I don't even see one thing that you could do with the laser that you can't do better with the conversion. I wish I would have got my .22 Marvel conversion (I actually built up a full time .22 racegun) years earlier. Right now I'm consistently doing 550rnds a week in .22. That's 20 bucks at Wally world. I just did 270 or so rounds of practice tonight, never could afford to do that with 9mm. Oh, and when I switch to my racegun I have experienced no adjustment period so to speak, several rounds and I'm good to go.

22 conversion for sure.

Especially for iron sights, the trick in learning to shoot accurately lies in learning to combine what your trigger finger does with what your eyes see (the sights). I wouldn't think a laser would help at all with that.

be

depending on the guns front sight,i 'll still tell new shooters to do the old bullseye test of putting a dime on the front sight and practice breaking the trigger till the dime stops falling off...cheaper then a laser..i also use 3 different 22's..

• 4 weeks later...

I was all set to jump in on the side of the .22 conversions....but it looks like everyone already made my point, and in most cases better than I would have.

Lasers are great.....for the people who are trying to make money by selling them.

FY42385

Edited by konkapot

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think a laser will produce more input as to what a shooter needs to work on with accuracy specifically trigger control? For example, with a laser you can see exactly what is occurring right before you press the trigger.

Or

Do you think a .22 conversion kit is a better investment for accuracy training? Example: shooting more rounds for cheap produces more quality technique training and muscle memory?

I'm trying to figure out which one will help me more with accuracy/trigger control issues.

Well,

This newbie was told to use a gun that emits a lazer when the trigger is pulled on the target.

Fun tool, It even works in the sunlight.

Freaks out the neighbors in the evening as I target the trees above on the hill side...fun stuff.

I would prefer a 22lr but that would not go over well..

the tool is called a Sirt gun it also has a mag that releases like my glock for that sort of practice and it also takes my glock 35 mags...kinda fun.

Alan

22lr, lots of guys going with that, me too, Walmart Fed ammo packs are where it's at. You can get lots of trigger time with cheap 22 ammo.

Good call on the Wally World.

I also shoot lots of 22lr however it is out of a rifle...

Might need to find a barrel conversion for my g35.

While your there p/u some Federal s/g shells....12 ga on the cheap!

To my surprise they have it in the Wally World in Brea California.

Regards Alan

Edited by Alanlib

22 conversion for sure.

Especially for iron sights, the trick in learning to shoot accurately lies in learning to combine what your trigger finger does with what your eyes see (the sights). I wouldn't think a laser would help at all with that.

be

There is one thing that a laser can be handy for, but it's not something done with frequency. It can show someone that their wobble zone is nowhere near as large on the target, as it appears when looking through the sights. We have folks aim at a 25yd target and note how much the sights seem to move. Then, we put a laser on the gun and have them put the dot on the same target, and note how little it moves. That teaches them that in reality, they're holding the gun so that it's easily aligned with the center box of the target (about 1/4 the size of an A-zone); it just doesn't look that way when looking through the sights.

Other than that...I can't see any utility in using a laser to train for what we do. R,

22 conversion for sure.

be

There is one thing that a laser can be handy for, but it's not something done with frequency. It can show someone that their wobble zone is nowhere near as large on the target, as it appears when looking through the sights. We have folks aim at a 25yd target and note how much the sights seem to move. Then, we put a laser on the gun and have them put the dot on the same target, and note how little it moves. That teaches them that in reality, they're holding the gun so that it's easily aligned with the center box of the target (about 1/4 the size of an A-zone); it just doesn't look that way when looking through the sights.

Other than that...I can't see any utility in using a laser to train for what we do. R,

The LAser is kinda handy for a instructor to show a dry fire exercise while running and gunning on the target. It helped me visualize where he was aiming and how quick he was going from target to target in relation to gun handling on and thru the stages it was helpful for this newbie to get a clear visual picture of the way he wanted it done.

Nothing beats actually shooting live fire though.

Alan

The funnest thing I've seen about lasers was a couple of guys shooting bowling pins at an indoor range. The dots were everywhere, and the pins were hard to pick up. The pins were at 25 feet, and the backstop at 75 so you eyes were adjusting to different ranges every sec..

I've never had one on a pistol to see if I could get any training potential out of it.

That makes total sense.

be