Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shooting CZ85

PBA2

Curious if anyone is shooting CZ85 for IDPA? How's it working out for you? what holster is working best for you? and any load info specific to this pistol would be great. thanks

Good Morning,

I shoot a CZ85B in ESP. I love the way the gun fits in my hands.

I have had some jamming problems and searched this forum to learn if I was not the only one. There were three suggestions that came up frequently.

1) Stone the bottom of the breech face. When the top cartridge in the magazine slides up, the bottom edge of the breech face is riding along the cartridge at the top of the magazine. The edge of the breech face is sharp enough to dig into the brass case and pull it along out of the magazine. You need only take the sharp edge off.

2) Change the recoil spring. I bought a Wolff spring pack and started with the lightest recoil spring, which seemed to work so I did not try the remaining springs.

3) Change the extractor spring to a Wolff extra heavy spring. I bought the extractor spring but I have not put it in as I have not had extraction problems.

I have a Blade Tech holster.

My load is a 124gr plated round nose bullet and around 3.2 grains of Clays.

Have fun!

Man I thought I made a good choice. I was trying to decide between the CZ85 and the Shadow and just concluded that using the CZ 85 for IDPA made more sense than trying to lose weight on the Shadow. However by the response of people using the CZ 85 was I wrong?

I am using a CZ75B for SSP at the moment and have not had any problems with it. I put a new hammer spring for a lighter DA pull, polished and worked the internal parts, installed a long firing pin so I could use the Wolf primers I have (need to check those now), changed the sights to taste as well as the grips. All of that has yielded a pretty good reliable SSP gun. All those items were done by choice, the gun ran with no problems stock.

• 3 weeks later...

Something to keep in mind is that there are two CZ 85's. The 85 Combat, and 85B. The B is just an ambi version of the 75B, while the Combat features no fp block, overtravel adjustment, and adjustable rear.

I shot a 75B for a while, and sold the gun chasing "greener pastures". I wish I had it back. I'll probably buy another and get back to that platform at some point. I would prefer the "B", as the adjustable sights on the combat look like an afterthought, and don't appear to be very robust.

I shot the 85 Combat for a while in both ESP and SSP and did OK with it. The CZ 75/85 fits my hand like a glove but I prefer the ones with the upswept beavertail grip like with the 75B SA. I used a Blade-Tech holster and Atlanta Arms 124gr subsonic 9mm ammo. I like CZs and have owned 5. My next will be another Single Action version. Right now, I'm not shooting any bottom feeders and have since switched to strictly SSR.

Edited by Samuel Adams

I'm curious Samuel Adams. In SSP you have to start hammer down? and ESP you can start cocked and locked?

Yes.

That is the way the Divisions are set up.

I have shot a good deal of SSP, some ESP, and a little USPSA Production with a CZ75 "pre-B". It has shop-made sights, trigger work, and the magazine brake flattened. Seems like a more straightforward approach than the song and dance required to get a Shadow or similar to make weight for SSP so you can shoot a long dust cover in ESP.

I'm curious Samuel Adams. In SSP you have to start hammer down? and ESP you can start cocked and locked?

That's correct. I had to manually lower the hammer for SSP. I shot this way at this year's Florida IDPA match. None of the SOs had any issue with it.

Did you ever feel like manually lowering the hammer without the de-cocker was a "risk" at all of accidental discharge? I'm just afraid to be DQ'd with one slip of the hammer. Just curious about your experience since you've done it. thanks

That's correct. I had to manually lower the hammer for SSP. I shot this way at this year's Florida IDPA match. None of the SOs had any issue with it.

Did you ever feel like manually lowering the hammer without the de-cocker was a "risk" at all of accidental discharge? I'm just afraid to be DQ'd with one slip of the hammer. Just curious about your experience since you've done it. thanks

I never had an issue with it. I practiced lowering the hammer and made sure my head wasn't in a very dark place when I did it at the range. The muzzle was always pointed in a safe direction.

I never had an AD or even a close call when shooting my CZ75 in SSP, Production, or practice.

HOWEVER, it is a "pre-B" with a great long, sharply serrated spur hammer.

I know there are shooters using the present burr hammer guns but think it will call for an extra measure of care in decocking.

Did either of you guys ever have a R.O. let you draw the pistol from "half-cock" position? I don't know if that meets "Big Match" rule requirements or not but it seems alot safer than taking the hammer clear to the firing pin.

I use the thumb roll method to lower the hammer and with care is pretty much fool proof. You just have to pay attention while doing it. I prety much have decided to use my CZ85 and Shadow for ESP and stick to my M&P for SSP as I prefer having to deal with one style of trigger pull. I have sene to many DQ's using just the thmb on top of the hammer method or using the fingers to pinch the side of the hammer to lower the hammer. I have yet to see a DQ when the shooter used the thmub roll method.

You must start in SSP with the hammer fully down on the DA/SA guns like the 75B and 85 Combat/Shadow. Decocker models can be started in the decocked position.

Take Care

Bob

I think I'm just going to stick with my G34 for SSP and use the CZ 85 for ESP. Just seems like sooner or later (and probably sooner for me) I would lose the hammer and get a DQ and I can't imagine a scenario where that kind of "chance" would be worth it. Maybe I'm over thinking the possibility.

• 4 years later...

I think I'm just going to stick with my G34 for SSP and use the CZ 85 for ESP. Just seems like sooner or later (and probably sooner for me) I would lose the hammer and get a DQ and I can't imagine a scenario where that kind of "chance" would be worth it. Maybe I'm over thinking the possibility.

Im shooting a glock 34 and really looking at the CZ85. I am having the same thoughts about lowering the hammer you are.

Those of us who carry guns every day with the hammer down on a loaded round aren't stressed about lowering the hammer manually. I've been doing it for more than 15 years and it's second nature.

Just practice a bit in dry fire and don't be careless - you'll eventually realise there's nothing to worry about

I shot a CZ 85B for a number of years. Accurate and reliable. The LPA rear sight/FO front on mine was just fine. The factory trigger is better than the 85 and there is an overtravel stop. I never felt the need to have trigger work done on the gun, which I still have and shoot in matches occasionally.

BTW... the polymer finish is bullet proof. After several years in a Blade Tec Kydex holster there isn't a mark on it.