Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier Reshoots and other Cherry Picking

Steve J

I would support a rule change that only allowed only one attempt that is always sent in.

Why?

What would it help?

It might help bring some integrity to the classification system.

My feelings are that you should shoot each stage of the match only once(unless there was a valid reason for a reshoot) and the score you earn on the classifier gets sent in regardless of how good or bad it is. Besides, the score you earn on your first attempt at a stage is the game you brought that day, nothing more nothing less. Shooting a classifier multiple times and sending in the best score can lead to an artificially high classification, or possibly even set the HHF for the stage artificially high.

Sure. And having a row of tanked classifiers go in, can depress someone's score --- and that becomes a problem when the competitor is accused of sandbagging....

USPSA's goal for the classification system is that shooters should turn in a performance that represents a realistic approximation of their current skill level. If a shooter truly blows the classifier, giving 'em another crack at the problem (for classification only) isn't a big problem in my book. Multiple reshoots until we get a score we like are....

Much like anything else in life, the trick lies in finding the balance....

There is a device in place to protect from tanked classifiers....

No scores that calculate to less than 2 percent are used. Also, to prevent unusually

low scores from affecting your classification percentage, scores that are more

than 5 percent below your classification bracket (e.g. a score of 34.99% for a Cclass

competitor) are not used for classification purposes.

While in theory a policy allowing reshoots to "turn in a performance that represents a realistic approximation of their current skill level" sounds good, in reality the system is being abused ( some of the posts here make that apparent).

While in theory a policy allowing reshoots to "turn in a performance that represents a realistic approximation of their current skill level" sounds good, in reality the system is being abused ( some of the posts here make that apparent).

You see that as a reason to change the system -- affecting everyone.....

I see it as an opportunity to educate those folks who are letting it happen....

Looking at the results from the majors doesn't bear out the"abuse." It looks to me like most everyone is falling in where the should from their class. If there is an abused side to it, it would seem more on the low side and not the high.

JT

Edited by JThompson

• 2 weeks later...

Clearly some of you have not dealt with EZWinScore ... Not sending an individual's results in is not an option under the program.

No I haven't, but I have heard that offer made at a classifier match. Curious. Thanks.

Again, the system picks the single highest HF out of all the runs for a competitor in his division on a classifier stage and puts THAT one into the upload file. The only control the stats officer has is to not enter the scoresheet with the highest HF. If that happens to be the competitor's run for match score, then you don't even have that choice, as that one HAS to go into the system.

It evidently can be done. Special classifier match - for those classifiers the competitors didn't want sent in 0.0HF was entered instead of the competitor's actual HF. The overall HF percentage for the match was obviously skewed and didn't reflect the actual match results, but the match only consisted of the classifiers, and the results weren't posted to USPSA.

You're going to have to show me that match file.

I'm not quite sure how to do that and ensure anonymity for the shooters and club.

If they can't trust Bill they might as well not shoot anywhere....

JT

Edited by JThompson

You couldn't and wouldn't want to do this for classes D-M, but for GM I've sometimes thought that a requirement of that highest class should be, in addition to the requisite number of classifier runs, placing 95% or higher overall in your division at a Lvl2 or higher match. Probably unreasonable, but I've thought of it now and again.

Oooh, I like this idea.

Interesting stuff. Of course their is no fixing it in my view. It is no longer a gauge of skill level against that of others. Over the last several years I treat it like an arcade game. I pay my money and try to beat my last score. Like I said, I pay my money which is great for "the cause" plus the advantage of working toward a better match score the next time it comes around.

Ultimately, we still get smoked by shooters of "lesser class". No sense stressing over something that crashed into the side of a hill twenty years ago. My 1.7 cents.

I have had shooters who scored poorly on a classifier, then reshoot it poorly and refuse to pay for the second run (yes, unsportsmanlike behavior). This happened a couple of times which lead to a no-reshoot policy. Shoot it once, take what you get.

Come on, really? roflol.gif That's why they have to pay in advance... :lol:

Grandbagging really isn't worth all the worry, you guys. The only person the grandbagger is hurting is themselves. ph34r.gif Sandbagging, on the other hand... That's the abuse side of the classification system I'd be more concerned about..... In the end, who cares if the guy reshoots a classified 75 times, and finally hooks up on a GM level run. Sure, he holds a GM card, but routinely gets beaten by B class shooters at local matches. You should laugh at that pathetic person and move on, not get your panties in a wad over it cheers.gif

I have had shooters who scored poorly on a classifier, then reshoot it poorly and refuse to pay for the second run (yes, unsportsmanlike behavior). This happened a couple of times which lead to a no-reshoot policy. Shoot it once, take what you get.

Grandbagging really isn't worth all the worry, you guys. The only person the grandbagger is hurting is themselves. ph34r.gif Sandbagging, on the other hand... That's the abuse side of the classification system I'd be more concerned about..... In the end, who cares if the guy reshoots a classified 75 times, and finally hooks up on a GM level run. Sure, he holds a GM card, but routinely gets beaten by B class shooters at local matches. You should laugh at that pathetic person and move on, not get your panties in a wad over it cheers.gif

Can I get a Amen!

In the end, who cares if the guy reshoots a classified 75 times, and finally hooks up on a GM level run. Sure, he holds a GM card, but routinely gets beaten by B class shooters at local matches. You should laugh at that pathetic person and move on, not get your panties in a wad over it cheers.gif

+1

Can I get a Amen!

Amen!

Can I get a Amen!

Amen...