Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TIGHT TIGHT BUDGET BUILDING

dskinsler83

Ok guys so this is for me and the rest of my fellow super tight tight budget guns for IDPA and USPSA. Ok so this is my question try not to laugh to hard :roflol: but is it practical to use the same bottom end for diff guns for diff classes in IPDA and USPSA? like my glock 34 for SSP and Prodution and the changing the top end for use in like maybe USPSA Open division. Or maybe a 2011 bottom end with commander top end in 9mm for IDPA SSP or ESP then maybe having a top end for limited or open for USPSA??? DOES ANYONE ELSE DO THIS OR THOUGHT OF DOING THIS??? The way I see it is it will kinda save some money and all that pesky FFL transfering to use the same frame but diff top ends for diff things. come on guys and gals lets do some talking and chatting about this. lol you all know you wanna lol

You already posted in the thread below that has one of my two top end IDPA/USPSA 2011’s in it so it’s possible. SVI also makes a removable breech face so you can use the same frame and slide for 9mm and 45 for ESP and CDP and 40 for Limited.

Both of the above cost less than separate pistols but still not what I would consider “budget” much less tight tight budget. If you want to shoot multiple classes without breaking the bank a stock Glock (might even go .40 for more possibilities in USPSA) could get you in several divisions in both sports.

yeah i know the 2011 eleven frames are expensive i have looked into glock but i can shoot a 1911 framed gun so much better... i didnt know u still were using the same frame and swapping out my bad i guess i shouldve read a lil more but thanks for the post

i can see the point there and yes the 2011 frames are high so i am thinking glock right now...but still wanna stick with 9mm so maybe a 34 for ssp and production and a complete open upper from a 17 slide for open in uspsa is that feasable????

i can see the point there and yes the 2011 frames are high so i am thinking glock right now...but still wanna stick with 9mm so maybe a 34 for ssp and production and a complete open upper from a 17 slide for open in uspsa is that feasable????

sure, except unless you keep the factory trigger bar in the gun you're going to be swapping that between open and production too, taking magwell off, etc etc

that had been my thought except the trigger bar....i have the trigger in my 34 done up really nice that breaks crisp at 3 1/4 lbs and i figure maybe just shoot ssp with it the build just a top end for open and shoot .355 super/9mm major with it including adding the magwell and use of a ss guide rod and spring set up to run the gun

Tight, tight budget, eh? That's like saying you can only afford a Kia, but want a Ferrari. Pick a division and shoot it. Save up for the gun you want, so what if it takes a year, you'll be really good with the gun you shot for the year. Or, just suck it up and spend the money.

but in the same aspect i have found a 2011 frame but would have to have a ramp cut made to accept the barrel id want for 375

and maybe i was a lil forward saying tight tight budget maybe just a reasonable budget lol i dont wanna go over board here lol

What is over board? Under $1000 is not very likely.

I dont know what skill set and or tools you have but building a 1911/2011 pistol is not like assembling an AR15. There are a number of special tools that are specific for the job and you will need at least a milling machine.

Also the first slide you fit to the frame is pretty straight forward but the second is a PITA because you dont want to mess up the fit of the first one. I am not sure what a real gunsmith would charge but as long as it took me you could have just picked up another frame. It was more of a learning experience for me.

The first thing I would suggest is get a Brownells catalog and pick out every part of your dream pistol and add up the prices (they also have a section on average costs for certain smithing procedures). You might just find it cheaper to buy a completed pistol.

Edited by jmorris

you know i really never thought of the fitting of the second slide possibly messing up the first. so i may do a 2011 as i can piece by piece but do glock for the rest for its plug and play shooting just about. as far as the machines no i am scewed there but i do have a good gunsmith shop i use for things i need do. the guys there have done alot of work for me but like you it will also be a learning experience as i love to tinker and work on guns.

Switch caliber/switch slide guns are problematic. Bear in mind that once you shoot the gun with one slide/barrel enough for the parts to take a set on the frame so everything works really well together and the gun shoots with nice accuracy....the other top end parts aren't going to mate with that frame very well at all. Just a bad idea overall, in my opinion. Sorry. :(

Personally if funds were tight (and when aren't they?) I would buy an appropriate gun for one division and shoot the snot out of it in that division while slowly saving up for another gun to shoot in another division. You can only shoot one gun at a time, and your Glock 34 is a great gun for SSP and Production, so you'll be able to shoot every IDPA and USPSA match that you can with a very competitive gun. In the meantime you can tuck money away for a (separate) Limited or Open blaster.

I'm assuming that you'r relatively new to the sport (forgive me if that's an incorrect assumption). It's tempting to want to jump around the divisions, but sticking with one gun for the first while will help you get your fundamentals down without having to worry about getting used to a different gun every week.

Whenever you're trying to make one gun work in more than one division it usually comes with at least some compromise.

Is there anyone foolish enough to do such a thing, well sure I confess. I have a 2011 (started life as a briley Open Gun). Its been transformed, but didn't get to see Megan Fox. 6 top ends none of them IDPA legal.

38 Super Full Size Open

9 Major Full Size (shares slide with 38 Super fs) Open

9 Major Shorty 4.25" Open

40 S&W Limited (SV Slide)

9 mm Limited (shares sv slied)

22 LR STI Conversion

It can come in handy, Sunday I was shooting along and it went to single shot, and I had to take the gun into the left hand and knock it open. The Barrel Link pin broke. I finished the stage which had a window at the end you had to hold open with one hand and shoot one handed, it took a while. 1 stage to go the Classifier and I just put another barrel in got the right ammo from the car and finished the match.

But to answer you question fully, no it wasn't cheap. Is it practicle well I'd be better off if I had just one gun and shot it all the time. :blink:

Glock 35:

IDPA: (downloaded ammo) SSP no magwell, ESP with magwell

USPSA: Production no magwell, Limited & Limted-10 with magwell

1911 45ACP

IDPA: CDP or ESP (downloaded ammo, slight disadvantage in ammo capacity)

USPSA: SS or Limited-10 (with 10 rnd mags)

---------------

These are the two options that come to mind that give a lot of flexability with minimal changes.

If you shoot 1911's better, then look at an M&P. The triggers are (and can be made even) better than Glocks and they are just plain more comfortable (IMO).

Cheap too! $50 Rebate if you buy before October. You can be one for the cost of a 2011 frame. SSP, ESP, Production, Limited 10.

I've tried the Limited/Open switch top too. Didn't last long before I bought another frame and had two pistols anyway.

Just get out there and shoot!