Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One of the rails in my G34 frame is gone...

boomfab

I was just cleaning my G34 after the RM3G match and I noticed one of the rear receiver rails is gone.

The gun has about 25K through it. Anyone ever see this happen? I almost hate posting it as I drink the Glock koolaid on a daily basis.

I need to call Glock about it tomorrow. Will my new frame have the same serial # or a completely new one?

post-18921-030373800 1282006181_thumb.jp

We had the same thing, not quite as bad as yours, about 6 months ago.

Glock was great about it, asked if we wanted the same serial number or a new one. Not caring, we took the new one, and we had it in about 2 weeks no questions asked. I dont know how long the delay will be for the same serial number.

Had an older 34 that was part of the "frame upgrade" about 6 or so years ago, started with "E". I'm sure the rail (left rear rail) had been gone a bit, but the gun kept on running with zero problems.

I had the same thing happen on one of my G34s. Lost the left rear rail. Noticed it while cleaning my gun before a sanctioned match.

Glock replaced the frame with no issues other than getting a different serial number. Was a PITA given we have to register guns up here in MI. I recommend clearing this up with Glock rather than assuming you'll get the same SN like I did.

Not sure the round count, but likley around 40,000.

I find this thread interesting since many handguns fail much sooner. My own G34 has about 15,000 rounds through it and this thread tells me what to focus on and what I should pay particular attention to. So do you feel this issue is unreasonable with something that has 25,000 or 40,0000 rounds through it?

I called Glock and they are swapping my frame out for free.

It will not and cannot have the same serial number they said.

The only problem is they said it'll take 4-6 weeks....so I'll have to go buy a new gun in the meantime to use.

The only problem is they said it'll take 4-6 weeks....so I'll have to go buy a new gun in the meantime to use.

That's not a problem, that's a great opportunity to buy a back up gun that you have always wanted anyhow. :devil:

I find this thread interesting since many handguns fail much sooner. My own G34 has about 15,000 rounds through it and this thread tells me what to focus on and what I should pay particular attention to. So do you feel this issue is unreasonable with something that has 25,000 or 40,0000 rounds through it?

Not really. Glock stands behind their guns 100%. That keeps me coming back. I've seen many other guns fail much sooner. In general the Glock is built pretty damn well.

Definitely pays to have a backup copy of your main competition blaster.

Makes things like this a little less painful.

My G22 for work did the same thing to me during a qualification, the left rear frame rail broke off. The piece stayed inside the gun and it would continue to shoot, but I had to rack the slide after every shot. This pistol had about 6K through it at the time, but we all know the .40 S&W is a lot harder on the pistols than 9mm is.

I sent it in and they replaced it and a lot of the internal springs for free. It does have a new serial number now and still shoots great. The new serial number starts with the letter "G" followed by 5 numbers.

One bit of advice though, is I would take anything that is not stock off the gun before you send it off, or you probably wont get it back.

Lawdawg

My own G34 just passed the 40k mark. I wore out the stock extractor around 12k and I had one broken trigger spring when I deviated from my "every 5,000 rounds" replacement schedule, and other than that I can honestly say I've never had a part break or wear out. (Knock wood.)

The prefix on mine was "FDS" purchased in 2003 I believe. My department has about 20 that are the same vintage, mine has been the only one to pitch a rail, but it has been shot more than the rest of them too. It's just one of those things that can happen, but doesn't very often.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been through 2 frames with broken rails on a G-35. The first at 28K, the second at 6K. Each was replaced with a new frame, promptly, but with different serial#'s. FYI, I've been told the problem has been fixed by using a rail mod on the new Gen-4's. I suspect this issue will also get better with the addition of the new recoil spring. I've had similar issues with G-23's on the front rail. The fronts get pounded and break off. Again, I think the new spring assembly will help.

Edited by WJL