Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ported Barrels

Big Guy

Anyone else having problems with a ported barrel?

In what respect?

Pat

Apparently (as I was told by a gunsmith), as the barrel heats up, the holes affect the trajectory of the bullet within the barrel causing the bullet to tumble. My first two shots are usually within the point of aim, however, shots 3,4, and 5, are observed to tumble consistently to the low right.

Anyone has had this problem before??

Anyone else having problems with a ported barrel?

In what respect?

Pat

Apparently (as I was told by a gunsmith), as the barrel heats up, the holes affect the trajectory of the bullet within the barrel causing the bullet to tumble. My first two shots are usually within the point of aim, however, shots 3,4, and 5, are observed to tumble consistently to the low right.

Anyone has had this problem before??

I have only used ported barrels with a very good success rate. I know of a colleague of mine that had tumbles with his super. He ended up slugging the barrel and he found that the gunsmith did not do a very good job when they ported the barrel. There were shards of uncleaned metal which was grazing the bullet and this affected the trajectory and made the bullet tumble. They cleaned it out and that sorted out the problem.

5 rounds thru a barrel isnt really going to heat it up to the point where it affect POI??? like bendetto said, too much crimp could cause a bullet to tumble because now the actual bearing surface of the bullet is smallerthan the inside diameter of the bore, it mite be more crimp and less heat effecting your rounds at this point, and i doubt its the ports causeing the problem, lest they were somehow cut wrong and there is jagged edge in the bore that is cutting jackets and causing them to shed

was the barrel EDM cut, or just drilled out??? wire EDM's will leave no burrs on the inside of the bore, drilling sometimes leaves a lil edge

was the barrel EDM cut, or just drilled out??? wire EDM's will leave no burrs on the inside of the bore, drilling sometimes leaves a lil edge

Don't know if the barrel was EDM, but I did shoot my load in similar gun with a different barrel and none of the bullets tumbled.

Also need to add that while shooting the gun for the last two to three months, none of the hits showed evidence of tumbling.

Check you crimp

most tumbling bullet is caused by too much

crimp. Should only be .03 so if . 355 crimp should be . 377-.378 for diameter of bullet.

Measured the bullet and case wall: 0.355 + (0.130)2 = 0.381.

Measured crimp on loaded rounds = 0.381.

If the gun was shooting the rounds before with out tumbling and now they tumble I would look at what was changed. Will a shuman barrels told me that if there are burs left after drilling that they would be removed in just a few rounds.

Does the gun have a bull barrel with screw on comp or cone comp I have heard of cone comps moving when they are fired from gasses getting under the comp and moving it, look careful for signs of copper on the inside of comp.

What brand of barrel is it? What bullet are you using? More information given, gets better answers.

Gun: Dawson Mini-stroker (.38 super)

Barrel: KKM .355 w/ Dawson cone compensator

Twist: 1:16

Bullet : MGs 115 g

Load: 8.3 g of IMR 7625

OAL: 1.224

Crimp: 0.381

Say about 1,500 rnds on new barrel (KKM)

That's the first I've heard of KKM making a .355 barrel in a 16" twist. You might want to double check that. KKM's have been notorious with tumbling bullets. Make sure there is no contact with the bullet and the comp. A different bullet may take care of it too.

Had a KKM 1:32 in my Open gun. Shot MG 115's superbly. I could put 3 rounds into a paster off a bench at 25 yards hot or cold barrel. How many rounds through the comp? You say 1,500 on the barrel but it reads like you reused the comp. If so did you have it line bored to the barrel? That needs to be done.

how about this?? check the baffles ofthe comp and see if there is any lead or jacket material, i still have an old 3 port that was done err wrong(they used acraglass instead of high temp loctite) i melted out some ofthe acraglass and the comp wobbled just a bit and i had bullets smackin the baffles, and i got tumbled bullets at around 15 yrds or so, and like SLM said have it checked to see if its actually lined up??? if it is, maybe open up the baffles 1 or 2 thou....

The KKM .355 barrels are a 32" twist, as far as I know. The bullet that seems to work best is a 125 JHP, I can't remember Zero or Montana Gold.

You are correct.

However, as recommened by KKM, I went down to a 115 g from a 124 g. According to KKM the 1:32 twist work better for lighter bullets.

You are correct.

However, as recommened by KKM, I went down to a 115 g from a 124 g. According to KKM the 1:32 twist work better for lighter bullets.

The 32" twist doesn't work better with lighter bullets. That's all it will work with. If the bullet isn't hitting the comp on the way out, you'll have to try various bullet shapes to find the one the barrel likes.

Whenever I hear of bullets tumbling, the answer to the question "What barrel is in it?" is always KKM.

back in the day, had a friend who shot 115's back when the PF was 175, so his loads were easily in the 185-190 range, he went to the dentist and found out that all of his fillings beneath the surface had been crushed because of the concussion from his racegun's comp