Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3.6 TG and 147's in 9mm

WildWest N AZ

Checking my Hodgdon book out for some start loads for my G17? I started with 3.2 grains to see how i like that? Has anyone gotton close to what hodgdon state's max charge is 3.6, and if so how did the load handle ect? Not looking for major or anything. Just wondering cause 4 tenths more of a charge would have me at max loading and im not one who likes to chance over presure loads....

Thanks everyone! Just was wondering how it preformed on the higher side of loading? I just starting playen around with my 9 loads. Ive had pretty good results with 3.2 TG 1.120 oal +/- a tenth of grain with Berry's 147's so far, accuracy seems good out of my G17. I know Hodgdon's stated max load is not on line of blowing things up, but they have put that data like that for safety reasons ect Im guessing?

Keep in mind you are stating reloading data without OALs. I would imagine the book specs is for a shorter OAL than you are loading and that will affect the chamber pressures reached. Also, TG throws extremely accurately. It isn't a fluffly flake powder and doesn't waiver at all after the powder throw is set. It meters extremely well and consistant. So the chances of the throw waivering too close to an overcharge is pretty low with TG in comparison to some other powders. I regularly say that TG is probably the best powder for pistol shooting on the market for jacketed bullets. It's really hard to go wrong with it short of the regular open division calibers.

Keep in mind you are stating reloading data without OALs. I would imagine the book specs is for a shorter OAL than you are loading and that will affect the chamber pressures reached. Also, TG throws extremely accurately. It isn't a fluffly flake powder and doesn't waiver at all after the powder throw is set. It meters extremely well and consistant. So the chances of the throw waivering too close to an overcharge is pretty low with TG in comparison to some other powders. I regularly say that TG is probably the best powder for pistol shooting on the market for jacketed bullets. It's really hard to go wrong with it short of the regular open division calibers.

I did forget to add that in Hodgdon has its max load with 147's with OAL @ 1.100

Update: so after 300 rounds of 3.2 tg, 147's berrys, and 1.120 oal run through my 17 I feel that its plenty accurate, no jams, and feels great to shoot. The only issue that I did run into was with that powder charge not haven enough steam to knock down beat up ol'steel poppers @ 35 yds. So I think that I will give 3.4-3.5 grains of TG a try to see if that eliminates that problem?

Update: so after 300 rounds of 3.2 tg, 147's berrys, and 1.120 oal run through my 17 I feel that its plenty accurate, no jams, and feels great to shoot. The only issue that I did run into was with that powder charge not haven enough steam to knock down beat up ol'steel poppers @ 35 yds. So I think that I will give 3.4-3.5 grains of TG a try to see if that eliminates that problem?

Run them through a chrono, best way to tell anything, and unless you know what those poppers were set at, failure to knock them down may not be reflective of anything. Your load is probably giving you a lower PF than you think.

3.5 TG, 147's at 1.158 in a 17 give me a 133 or so PF. Your PF may be much lower than that.

Run them through a chrono, best way to tell anything, and unless you know what those poppers were set at, failure to knock them down may not be reflective of anything. Your load is probably giving you a lower PF than you think.

3.5 TG, 147's at 1.158 in a 17 give me a 133 or so PF. Your PF may be much lower than that.

I will give the chrono a run to see what PF is? Seems from what ive read around in old posts is that the load Im playing with currently is a good one to start with? Although so many variables being different from climate ect ect that load maybe better there than here or other way around for someone else? Also I had no other problems knocking down any other poppers that evening, so maybe that one was not calibrated correctly? More testing for sure...