Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newer LNL's

Has anybody seen the black divots, inconsistent paint, poor fit and sloppy machining that I have seen reported in other forums? I have a hard time believing that Hornady would let poor quality out the door for long. Does anyone know where the LnL AP is manufactured? From what I've read, I want one in addition to a Dillon RL550b. I just don't want to spend a lot of time trying to correct defects that QC passed to meet their numbers. I know Hornady has great customer service, and I own some of their equipment, but it is all over 15 years old.

Thanks for the help,

Jim

Has anybody seen the black divots, inconsistent paint, poor fit and sloppy machining that I have seen reported in other forums?

Actually, very much the opposite. These "reports" sound not just a little fishy to me.

Has anybody seen the black divots, inconsistent paint, poor fit and sloppy machining that I have seen reported in other forums?

Actually, very much the opposite. These "reports" sound not just a little fishy to me.

Yeah, I was reading the posts in a few other forums that complained about these issues. The name was different on each post, but the writing style sure looked the same. All of my Hornady equipment is well made, top notch stuff. Thanks for the reply. I wish people wouldn't try to put good American companies out of business. It was probably someone looking for a free press. <_<

I have had mine for a while, so can't speak to current issue presses. However I have been retrofitting it with all the new bits like the ez-ject and powder through expander powder drop. They have all been fine. The machining was good, and my version of the ez-ject upgrade had some minor changes from version 1 to deal with the retention spring binding. 

Hornady may have decent design, but I can say based on issues folks have had in the past, that if they get a bad batch of some part, they seem to stupidly stick with it until they are gone. Sure, you'll get a good one eventually, but you might get three of the defective batch before that due to them working their way through the bad parts. 

At least that was the way it was with the cracking drive hubs. 

I have had mine for a while, so can't speak to current issue presses. However I have been retrofitting it with all the new bits like the ez-ject and powder through expander powder drop. They have all been fine. The machining was good, and my version of the ez-ject upgrade had some minor changes from version 1 to deal with the retention spring binding. 

Hornady may have decent design, but I can say based on issues folks have had in the past, that if they get a bad batch of some part, they seem to stupidly stick with it until they are gone. Sure, you'll get a good one eventually, but you might get three of the defective batch before that due to them working their way through the bad parts. 

I hope They have this fixed. I know they have always been very good at making their customers happy. They do make good stuff!

I have a friend that has had nothing but good luck with the LnL AP. He has been reloading for over 20 years. I just spoke to him tonight. He's happy with his. He also has a Dillon RL550b. He's had it for most of his reloading career. He loves both, Dillon, and Hornady. If it works for you, use it and enjoy it!

Jim

I suppose you can make anything work for you, given time to tweek it. You make the most of what you get. I believe Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Lee, or Forster, all make quality products. You just have to choose what works for you. :sight:

I hope They have this fixed.  I know they have always been very good at making their customers happy.  They do make good stuff!

Yes, they fixed it. 

I suspect that getting replacements just took time, and they sent out the defective ones repeatedly to affected users under the theory that at least you could be reloading for a little while before it broke again. However it would have been best to explain it that way if it was the case. 

I got my LNL in 08 its about 50-60k rounds ahead of my XL650. I've broken two things on it since new and it was by applying the universal rule that if brute force is not working you are just not using enough.

You can get an XL650 or a LNL they are both equal in value and ability. I've got both and do more on the LNL than the Dillon.

You shouldn't have trouble finding a good home for the 550 when you get the LNL.

I have two old Hornady Progressive presses. I've seen the new LnL, and think it's the best! I've been waiting for one of mine to break down to justify the new Lnl - but they just keep ticking along. Looks like a new press will have to be the third press!!

I wonder about anyone dumping on Hornady - they have been the absolute best to me for decades! Don't hesitate because of some questionable post.

Hornady rocks!!!

I just won a LnL at Area 3 and have it setup for .40. I have loaded 3-400 rounds through it but so far I say it is on par with a 650 without a doubt. Very well machined and the primer system is far easier to deal with than the 650.

Lee

Edited by lneel

I got my LnL in Feb. this year, and only loaded about 3000 rounds in 9mm and .40S&W so far. No major issues but I second the 'surface rust on the powder drop' problem. Also, one of the powder drop linkages came apart - that's where a linkage arm has a pressure-fit pin in it - but I noticed it right away so no squibs. I just pushed the pin back in with my channel locks, and haven't had an issue since.

I have no experience with Dillon so I can't really compare the two. AFAIK though, the 650 has all the 'shuttle' components required if you decide to install a case feeder. The LnL does not. I could build a case collator myself but don't think I could handle the shuttle part.

I prime with Lee Auto Prime so LnL's priming is something else I cannot comment on. I just didn't like powder spillage resulting from an occasional missed primer, and felt that using Auto Prime wasn't that much more time-consuming.

• 1 month later...

Never seen any flaws in any L-N-L I have seen. Then again, I'm not a perfectionist and would only be concerned about casting flaws if it affected alignment and strength, and the strength of all the presses is way more than needed.

My L-N-L paint (powder coating?) has survived various degreaser sprays and other liquids and shows no bubbling or other flaws.

meant to add, the only problem I have is that sometimes I dont get enough travel on the primer seating part that pushes it into place. However, there are plenty of online fixes recommending the addition of a washer underneath it attached to the press frame