Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Shell Plate & Casefeed Plunger Timing

Could someone please help me with a problem I am having with my Super 1050 when I start reloading I have a problem with the casefeed plunger not feeding the cases into the shellplate at the right time and this causes a jam up and this is on new brass as well as used brass is there some way to fix this problem.

I don't run the press at a fast rate just slow and steady but the problem still happens on a very regular basis and my press is less than 3 weeks old,and this has been happening from day one.

I would be most greatful for any tips and advice on how to fix this problem.

Is the shellplate clean and properly lubed and tightened?

Does the shellplate index properly without brass? As in does it come to rest in the proper position,or does it rely on the toolheads indexing pins to cam it into final position?

Are you allowing the toolhead to race up, or is your speed relatively constant?

Is the casefeeder shuttle the right size, or are you possibly using the large for a medium or small case?

I am reloading 9mm rounds and as far as I know the right casefeed plunger is installed as I ordered the press setup in 9mm from Dillon.

If I tighten the shellplate to tightly the indexing ball bearing jams in the hole and the shellplate does not index correctly, I have stripped/greased and cleaned the press a dozen times and still end up with same result.

In response to Canuck's 223 response the toolhead does sort of realign the shellplate a little but nothing major as the toolhead has a bit of movement in in which I thought was normal I do not let the lever fly up or race the machine just slow and steady.

Just how tight should the shell plate be? should you need a little effort to move the shellpate or should it be a one thumb with no effort type push?

Edited by Taipan

I have this happen very occasionally in 9mm.

In terms of the shellplate itself, I tighten the shellplate ring all the way down and then slowly loosen it back up until I can't feel any resistance to it turning. That's usually between an 1/8th to 1/4 of a turn counterclockwise.

There should be just the slightest amount of up and down on the shellplate when you press down on it with your finger.

The only other thing is to make sure that you don't have any powder stuck in the shellplate where the brass slots into it. If you do, take a brush and get it out of there.

AL503 describes the process of checking shellplate tension perfectly. While it needs to be as tight as possible, it can't be at the cost of impaired function.

The shellplate should be indexed properly before the toolhead index pins hit thier holes, but a little movement of the shellplate as they enter is normal. However, it is possible to have the toolhead torqued a bit askue, resulting in the indexing pins hitting the edge of the hole constantly. Just run the toolhead all the way down, loosen the nut, and retighten after centering it.

I also assume that the indexing ball has been checked and it isn't sticking?

Since our origional suggestions have not helped, how does the shellplate look. There should be a slight bevel at the opening to each slot. I seem to recall hearing about one slightly defective batch with an insufficient bevel. (??? Anyone???)

The actual "timing" is controlled by the casefeed cam which is located on the toolhead. If it is attempting to feed the cases into the shell plate too soon that means the lobe of the cam is coming into contact with the plunger roller too soon. If the timing is actually wrong it should be happening pretty much all the time. If it isn't you could have something loose that is moving.

Hello: Check the plunger system out. The spring may be hanging up because of crap in the tunnel. Also check to see if the roller and bolt are moving well and the bolt is tight. Lastly check that the black plate on top of the plunger is not too tight and the plunger moves freely. Oh ya make sure the wedge cam bolt is tight. Spend some time with the machine and you will learn lots of littel tricks to make it better :cheers: Thanks,Eric

Thanks to all your replies I will give these suggestions a try and see how I go at the moment this must be the most stripped and cleaned Super 1050 in Australia <_<

I just would like to have it up and running like other members of this forum say theirs run like but at the moment it seems a long way off :(

Is there any way to stop that indexing ball from sticking down that hole it sits in when it sticks I normally have to get an allen key or something to push it out of its hole after stripping down the shellplate etc.. and yes I have cleaned that hole out a 100 times with a cotton bud or rag and still have it happen

If the detent ball is sticking down, I would replace the spring. Sounds like it is fatigued and not popping the ball up properly. The only time I have problems with it sticking down is when I have a lot of powder gunked up in it.

Do one thing at a time....You will figure it out!

DougC

Is there any way to stop that indexing ball from sticking down that hole it sits in when it sticks I normally have to get an allen key or something to push it out of its hole after stripping down the shellplate etc.. and yes I have cleaned that hole out a 100 times with a cotton bud or rag and still have it happen

Is it possible that there is a burr around the top of the hole that is keeping the ball from popping out as it should???

ST

:)

Is it possible that there is a burr around the top of the hole that is keeping the ball from popping out as it should???

That is possible but I did not want to start hacking in to the machine and doing damage to that indexing hole and make matters worse than they are now.

When I free up the indexing ball it seems great for awhile and then you can see that it is not as high as when I first started after cleaning it at times this could be after only 50 or so rounds.

At the moment the press seems to have the better of me :( but I don't want to give up just yet I also have a 650 that at the moment beats the 1050 hands down

I polished/smoothed out the shellplate notches for the case.

Just a very slight radius and knocking off the sharp edges to allow the cases to feed in easier. It worked out so well, I did it to all my other 1050 shellplates.

If the detent ball is sticking down, I would replace the spring. Sounds like it is fatigued and not popping the ball up properly. The only time I have problems with it sticking down is when I have a lot of powder gunked up in it.

Do one thing at a time....You will figure it out!

DougC

Also make sure there is not a burr at the top edge of the hole. Maybe run a round stone are the edge to be sure.

be

I would like to thank :bow: the forum members who offered their suggestions on how to fix some of the problems I was having I now have run 1500 rounds through my press and have not had one problem to date.

Now all I have to do is make sure I don't forget about that 650 that has had no work for the last few days.