Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front and Rear Sights

sinnsyk

Front Sights:

We've finished running the magwells (for large and small frame) and grips for all models.

So, we've got our main machine running iFiber front sights again. They have been very popular and this is what I've got on the list to make this time:

iFiber 0.095" x 0.165" (current model)

iFiber 0.105" x 0.165" (current model)

iFiber 0.095" x 0.140" (special low for match and stock with factory rear sights)

iFiber 0.095" x 0.180" (higher for Limited for those who want a taller front sight. Will also work for 1911 very well)

iFiber 0.105" x 0.180" (higher for Limited for those who want a taller front sight. Will also work for 1911 very well)

Black Front 0.090" x 0.180" (traditional matte black front sight for those who doesn't like fiber sights)

Any interest in any wider black front sights or any other widths ? If so, please email me.

Rear Sights:

As some of you know, I will be competing at the IPSC Europeans in Serbia so I am shooting a lot these days and also working on my gun a lot. This has resulted in two things: I absolutely cannot deal with the factory rear sights any more.. so ...

for USPSA Limited and IPSC Production division I will be making a new fixed rear sight to replace the "supersight". In my guns using the iFiber 0.165" I have found that my rear sight is sighted in at about 0.520" tall rear. Not sure if I'll be making several heights, but I will be making the 0.180" and 0.165" fronts so that will be one way to adjust. And if necessary we can make a few different heights. I like my rear notch depth to be 0.120" and currently running a 0.140" wide rear with my 0.095". Yes I know... it's wide, but I like it. I'll make several width and make it so that it's easy to open up wider if you want. Anyways... feedback highly appreciated and maybe we should start a poll. But first let's get a few thoughts going on what you wall want for rear sights.

Secondly, I have some thoughts on making an IPSC Standard rear sight. On my current gun that I'll be using in the Europeans I've cut 0.063" 0.067" off the top (sight was crooked). This allows the sight to be compressed more and ... I can use a base pad that is 0.060" bigger. This means that I will probably have a magazine setup where I can start with 20 + 1 and reload to 19. We are currently making a lot of different base pads specifically for IPSC Standard Division to achieve this. Cha-Lee and I already were able to fit 20 rounds in my mag using his 0.415" diam ammo, his follower and my H-570 basepad with a 0.035" bottom floor. We'll now I'm making pads that will be 0.040", 0.060" and 0.080" bigger. Still in testing, but will be ready and in use at Europeans. Modifying the factory Supersight is possible for anyone who want to achieve this kind of magazine capacity. By the fall/winter I hope to have a competition semi-adjustable IPSC Standard rear sight that'll hold up to abuse, have a nice, clean blade with a notch that is matched to my front sights.

Input and requests please post. If anyone want instructions and be able to have a setup like mine prior to the IPSC Europeans please email me. In about 2 weeks I'll have base pads ready and that'll be the main ticket. Next step is for you to machine your rear sight like I have and you can show up in Serbia with a way-above average competitive setup..

It's all about winning..

Yeah, the rear sights are a pain because they like to move by themselves in transport. :angry2:

Not sure what I am going to do, if anything at this point. I would be interested to see the fixed rear with a blade high enough that it could be filed/machined if necessary to get the right height.

Good luck at A3 this weekend!! Wish I was going. I'll drink a beer in tribute :cheers:

I think all of your suggestions are good. It would be cool to add a checkering to the face of the solid front sight. I really like the solid 0.090 front sight with a .120 x .120 rear notch. I have been shooting this setup for quite a while now and it really works well for me. The only time I feel like it may be a disadvantage is shooting indoors with less than optimal lighting. But I don't do that much indoor shooting in crappy lighting conditions so I just suck it up and blast the best I can in those situations.

The only other thing I can think of would be a FO setup for the solid rear sight.

I like the comment about making it more robust. I was at the Canadian IPSC Nationals and had the elevation screw bust right off on a medium size stage. When the slide cycled back, the sight would pivot and stand up, then as the slide went forward, the sight would come back down. Don't know how, but I didn't get a miss. :surprise: However, I was a little slow as I had to wait for the sight to fall back into place after each shot. :wacko:

What I'm doing in this run of front sights is making even more options possible:

Front Sight Heights:

.140" tall will be good for the factory Match LPA rear sight.

.165" tall looks good with the Limited Supersight with 0.100" - .105" deep rear notch

.180" tall will look good with the planned Fixed Rear sight for Limited.

My production plan is to have a competition grade (also good for carry) fixed rear sight solution for both Limited and Match. For the Match this will mean being able to put a taller front sight on your gun so you can shoot it better. This has been the biggest complaint I have about the Match.

Once we've tackled all that and I'm done with Europeans and US Nationals I'm hoping to build the height adjustable/collapsible rear sight for Limited that will take IPSC Standard Division to a 20 + 1 capacity in combination with my newest base pads. The base pads are almost ready.

Thanks for making a low one for the match. When it is available, I will buy it!!

I second this, just let us know when these are available, would like to give the iFiber another go.

Add me to the list of people looking for a low front sight for the newer Match's.

[Even better would be unshelving that old adjustable sight project you had. :-)]

• 2 weeks later...

Damn I should have waited before switching to the iFiber. The taller/thinner front sight itself is fantastic but the LPA rear sight on the Match doesn't do it justice. I'll have to wait(not long I hope)until you release new/better rear sights for the Match.

I called EAA about the pins walking out on the supersights. Who wants to guess the answer I got from the gunsmith who called me back............they have never heard of such a problem. He suggested I peen the ends of the pin, if that doesn't work then to send it to them and they will look at it.

I was able to find some longer 3mm screws that can be used to raise the Match rear adjustable sight. It's not made for it and won't have the click adjustment, but you could file the screw to length by having it screwed in to the bottom. It's what I'm doing on my Limited / Supersights right now for my IPSC Standard setup. It'll be a temporary fix until I've got the new sights.

I wasn't sure on the screw size and was sure if I took it out of the sight and to a hardware store it would disappear. But I did take the blade out of the sight and replaced the springs with a longer pair that I crafted from a couple of ball point pen springs. This put more pressure on the blade & combined with lock tite on the screw this seems to be working for now. On the EAA CS side of the deal; after I made this modification I called them just to ask what type of screw to look for in the event it worked it's way out again. The gal I talked with said "don't worry I'll send you one", 3 days later I received an entire new rear sight in the mail. Some of the folks at EAA do try to help their customers. Yes it's still the LPA sight but at least now I have spare parts until Henning's sights come out.