Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mixing Same Type of Powder

CZinSC

I know full well that you should not mix differnt powders. My question is, can you mix same exact type of powder? I have a handful of TiteGroup left in the hopper, and a new bottle ready to go. Can I just add the new bottle to the old? Or should I flush the hopper and start new?

Which brings me to the next question, how low can the powder get in the hopper before you have inaccurate throws?

With some powders that vary a lot from lot to lot it might not be a great idea, but with TG I think you're fine. I've done that with many different kinds of powders and never run into a problem.

I haven't done much testing on it, but I don't like the hopper to get much below 1/4 or so. I know the throws are still consistent at that point (checked it a few times), and it keeps me from running the measure dry so I'm less likely to get a squib. R,

I've done a few test throws with a few different types of powder. I didn't notice any appreciable difference between a full hopper and when there was next to nothing in it. I just refill only when the powder gets below the baffle and call it good.

For experimental purposes only, I did try out how low I could go before getting in consistent throws. If I remember correctly it was just the last 10 strokes on my press when I started getting inconsistent drops. This was with a Arredondo small powder measure and the UniqueTek micrometer set to drop 5.6 gn of Universal Clays. So 10 x 5.6 would mean going down to the less than 56 gns. With TiteGroup set for 3.3 gn, I think I was down to the last 5 strokes before getting inconsistent drops. So about 17 gns for Tite group.

Note that I followed the instructions on another thread about polishing the inside of the funnel until it was bright and shiny and then applied car polish and then buffing that to a nice shine. I haven't tried this experiment with an unpolished funnel.

I have seen Titegroup charges change by as much as 0.2 grains from 1 lot to another as in 5.2 grains dropping to 5.0 and it could very well change as much the other way so I would not try to mix two different lots in that manor. Now if both bottles that you have are from the same lot then there isn't any problem with mixing them.

Brian

Edited by Too_Slow

can you mix same exact type of powder?

I go by lot numbers. If the two containers have the same lot #, I just open a fresh container and dump more in. If the new container has a different lot #, I dump the little left in the hopper into the new container, roll it a couple of times to mix, and separate the next batch of reloads into a different batch.

how low can the powder get in the hopper before you have inaccurate throws?

I load on a Dillon 550. Out of curiosity, I ran some Clays down to empty, and had consistent throws until it got to the point of not enough powder to fill the slide.

That being said, I subscribe to the "refill when it's below the baffle" approach.

Edited by Punkin Chunker

I've done a few test throws with a few different types of powder. I didn't notice any appreciable difference between a full hopper and when there was next to nothing in it. I just refill only when the powder gets below the baffle and call it good.

I would empty the hopper into the new can and shake it all up and then use it. I have done this many times and the crono shows no problems.

FWIW

Richard

+1 to both of these responses. If you mix a small amount of the older powder with the newer, even if from different lots and with slightly different performance characteristics, the dilution effect will negate any impact from the older powder.

The exact same powder from different lots, is OK.

I wouldn't do this for all powders. Some powders have a big lot to lot variation. For example, I need an additional 0.8gr of Solo 1000 from a different lot to make the same PF. :surprise: This is definitely an extreme case but it exists. I haven't noticed any variation with TG but YMMV.

Personally, when my 1 lb bottle of AA2 was nearly empty, I just poured the remainder into my new bottle and shook it. Did the same with Unique, Herco, and Silhouette. The most that I am doing is creating a new lot. I just don't see where about 1% or less of a different lot blended into the new lot can make any difference. The new lot, blended or not, will need to tested to determine if it performs any different any way.

The exact same powder from different lots, is OK.

I wouldn't do this for all powders. Some powders have a big lot to lot variation. For example, I need an additional 0.8gr of Solo 1000 from a different lot to make the same PF. :surprise: This is definitely an extreme case but it exists. I haven't noticed any variation with TG but YMMV.

I separate reloaded ammo based on 'production runs', and expendable component lot numbers.

While I have never personally heard of a recall on powder or primers, I figure the lot #'s are there for a reason, and would hate to look at an ammo can full of cartridges and not know which ones had bad powder, and which ones didn't.

And now I might start re-chronoing after starting into a different batch of powder.

Edited by Punkin Chunker

I need an additional 0.8gr of Solo 1000 from a different lot to make the same PF

Holy smokes! I think I would change powders completely if they were that inconsistent. I have been using the same 9mm minor load for six and a half years and they chronograph pretty much the same from many different powder lots. The weather will make them speed up and slow down though.

I need an additional 0.8gr of Solo 1000 from a different lot to make the same PF

Holy smokes! I think I would change powders completely if they were that inconsistent. I have been using the same 9mm minor load for six and a half years and they chronograph pretty much the same from many different powder lots. The weather will make them speed up and slow down though.

I am switching to a different powder for that exact reason. I had to go from 7.2gr of Longshot to 7.9gr to make MAJOR (CAUTION: THIS IS MAJOR FROM AN OPEN GUN), after I bought 8lbs from a different lot. So there can be differences from lot to lot indeed. Cannot comment on TG specifically, though. If you take the old powder out, put the new powder in and chrono a few handful, you'll know for sure whether the two loads are comparable. Perhaps I am overly cautious.

Which brings me to the next question, how low can the powder get in the hopper before you have inaccurate throws?

I tried this too... for my press and my loads.. the last shell that got a complete charge.. was good. I did it just to check if it mattered.

For rifle, I fill it up every 200 primers. In practice I don't allow it to get past the top of baffle.

The only powder I've used (once, out of curiosity) until the hopper emptied was Viht N320, which was literally good to the last drop. That powder, though, is known for its remarkably good flow characteristics. It's also very consistent from one lot to the next ballistics wise (I don't remember more than a tenth of a grain difference to get the same velocity for any lot I've used, assuming the exact same other components).

If you run such a powder for loads like mine (typically 10 points over the minor PF threshold for Production) then dumping a new lot over the old still in the hopper is OK; the velocity may be off a bit from what the prior lot provided, but it will be both safe and in the range. BUT I can't say that for any powder other than N320. It's also going to require a close eye on the hopper to make sure you don't run dry and/or miss the last partial drop - that's squibville.

Safety aside, if you want to know PRECISELY what your load ballistics are, you have to retest each lot and not mix or blend them during a loading session. If such precision isn't your cup of tea, and your established load doesn't ride the hairy edge of pressure or PF threshold, and you are constantly vigilant for empty or partially charged cases as the powder runs out, and you trust your powder not to vary much from lot to lot, then it's up to you.

In my experience, going lot-lot with TG has never been a problem however I wouldn't do the same with Solo. Heard too many cases of big swings in charge as listed above (but not personally experienced it).

• 2 weeks later...

In 40 plus years of reloading, with all kinds of powders (rifle, pistol, shotgun....too many to list) and a number of different measures (Lyman, RCBS, Lee, Dillon, MEC) I've always just gone right to the next can of that same powder when the hopper got low, and I've never detected any difference.

NB: As was mentioned at the outset regarding blending or mixing different powders: although commercial ammo manufacturers ALWAYS blend powders, we reloaders should NEVER blend powders!

In 40 plus years of reloading, with all kinds of powders (rifle, pistol, shotgun....too many to list) and a number of different measures (Lyman, RCBS, Lee, Dillon, MEC) I've always just gone right to the next can of that same powder when the hopper got low, and I've never detected any difference.

You've never seen lot variation? :surprise:

You've never seen lot variation? :surprise:

Nope...but then I don't watch for it, which may account for never being able to detect it. I suppose if I still used a chrono I'd be able to see it with that, but it got under water a few years back and I've never replaced it.

Most of my shooting isn't in the "mission critical" category where any lot variation I've ever heard of could make a difference. (Well, powder variation, anyway.....then there's primer lot variation, which is a whole other story I won't go into here.) What I guess I'm saying is that if I'm shooting a 100 yard DCM match with my .30-06 reloads, no variation of Varget from lot to lot is going to make that Garand print a detectably different group.....particularly with my skills.

Now I'm perfectly aware that there are circumstances where I should be more careful. If I get a call from a friend of mine inviting me on a prairie dog hunt, I'm going to load all those .223 out of the same nice 8# jug. But no one can tell me that a powder lot difference is going to make a bit of difference in my most recent shooting, .45 ACP at targets from 2-25 yards with a 200 gr. plated & 5.0 of TG. It just doesn't matter.