Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Laser Sights

Lee Watne

Lasers have two problems-- the eye-safe ones are too dim, and they're harder to see the further away the target is, which is pretty much the opposite of what you want.

But, if you've got one, or can round up a small laser pointer, tape it to your pistol for a dry-fire session and see where that dot goes on draws and reloads..

Guys, lasers can be more help than you think. You can use them as some have already said and some other ways as well. Lasers are a great tool when used sparingly. And what I mean by that is, don't use it so much that you get used to looking past your sights. You can use a laser to see the path the gun take from the holster, path that your gun takes during recoil (is it consistent?), trigger control, transitions and a few others. If you have a chance to use one on an indoor range or shoot house, watch how far the sights (laser) track above the target between shots. I think you might be surprised. I was! It just kind of proves the point that what you may see might not be what you should be seeing.

JLJ

I love lasers , on other peoples guns.

You can see every little quiver and twitch in such great detail.

Not much use for multiple targets of varying distance with a far away backstop.

Travis F.

hi lee,

the only lasers that are any good are laser max and crimson trace. i use the crimson trace on my pocket pistol, s&w model 37. since there are no sights at all on this pistol and if there were they would be useless on a 1.5 inch barrel. the laser is really no good during the day, but at knight the laser is helpful. other than this type application lasers are not very effective.

lynn

I use a laser on my AR-15 16" barreled rifle. In dim light I could engage targets up to 200 meters no problem and can use it as a range finder when I'm looking through my 4x scope with the relation of the dot on the vertical reticle. Tactical use it's a bust since you are broadcasting u have your weapon trained on the target and the target may take cover, while it might intimidate some poser criminal. I find the laser useful when running and engaging open targets in dim light. Try it if it works for you then keep it on your weapon. I will piggyback what's been said here, lasers aren't practical in IPSC. josh

I have an idea for using a pair of lasers at the same height as the bore for use in CQB to confirm holdover at close ranges. One on each side of the barrel, and your shot will hit right between them. Holdover is not a worry and having a pair (or at least two beams, either split or separate emitters) eliminates any windage discrepancies.

It could work nicely.