Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Tribe

Grandpoobah

Hi:

I would like to make a few comments as to how I approach a new gun.

I have been shooting Briley Semi-Custom guns for over fifteen years in .40 S&W.

I have just had a custom SVI .38 S.C. built - and while waiting for it - I picked up an almost new STI Trubor that was previously owned for two weeks.

I installed an Aftec 9mm/38 S.C. extractor and a EGW 9 mm/.38 S.C. extended ejector as I will shoot .38 Super Comp and it comes as a .38 Super.

In all I have had a total of perhaps ten or twelve STI/SCI guns from Limited to Open and I have never purchased a "reliability package" nor would I recommend one.

A gun should shoot as received - it may take some rounds to break in but a reliability package is like undercoating on a car - it is akin to a scam.

It is as ridiculous as "tuning mags".

The TruBor that I purchased was one of the few that I've seen with a good slide to frame fit and a really nice barrel lock-up.I was pleased to find one and I am impressed with their fit and finish. I can only hope that it is representative of their production in general.

The gun worked 100% - but I have to add that the majority of problems people experience are a) magazine related, B) ammo related, or c)extractor/spring issues, or d) "exotic" parts that are added.

First I suggest only use of SVI mags - they are superior - do not tune them - you may tune your piano but not your mags - they are formed in hydraulic presses and when they leave the factory they are right. If you drop a big stick with 29 rounds in it the lips, similar to the Kinetic effect in a bullet puller , will spread. So you must ensure that the lip spacing is to factory spec. That, and a Grams follower and spring and a Dawson +1 SNL base pad and you are good to go. Naturally check the mag release and verify that the magazines are positioned correctly and they drop when released (empty).

Second I suggest that the ammo must be uniform and made correctly. The O.A.L. (1.225" for .38 Super Comp)must be correct, the crimp must be good, and it is very important that the cases be either case gaged or Case Pro'ed.Do not mix and match .38 Super and .38 Super Comp - shoot one or the other. Good ammo is key to good functioning. You cannot try to adjust a gun if there are too many variables so you must make certain the the basics are covered first.

The third factor is the extractor tension and cut and the ejector adjustment. If the extractor needs re-tensioning it should be done properly or an AFDC fitted to the gun. The ejector adjustment is basically hit or miss starting with an extended EGA ejector of the right caliber. Small changes from a rectangular original shape to a slanted face make large differences so remove very little as this is not a science.

Springs are also important - the TruBor has a 9# spring and with a fairly hot load (from 155 to 170) it should do the job. Problems also arise as a result of super/duper after market hi-tech recoil quides with buffs, extra springs, a bit of magic dust,etc. A standard EGA stainless one piece quid rod is the way to go. If you shoot weak ammo ( 120 power factor steel loads one day and 170 power factor IPSIC loads the next be prepared to switch recoil springs.

An extended firing pin is also a good idea as the STI Trubor comes with a 15# hammer spring and you don't want light hits

In general, when one gets a new gun you change one item at a time - do not jump and add six or seven after market "extra quality" parts. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.When you attempt to correct one area control all other variables so that changes can be noted and you know what has caused the change.

Finally I have to say that a feel for the gun as a piece of machinery, an ability to work with the gun and not get upset when for X thousands it doesn't work flawlessly in your hands when you first try it is very important. They are temperamental and if they think you do not love them they will turn on you - so go easy and fire a few thousand rounds before you make any major changes - many guns need to break in. Once they love you they will work for you!

Grandpoobah

My Open guns run on just plain ole STI Mags with Grams kits and Dawson +1 SNL's, but the SVI mags are even better. I have 3 guns with AFTEC extractors and they just run. Sounds like some solid advice.

I did have some trouble this weekend but then today I found the dead chickens on the back side of the Berm and knew that my rival had put the hex on the guns. I'm brewing up some bat wing soup and this should take care of the hex.

Ron,

can you send me a can of batwing soup?

My STI did turned into a little Diva during one stage today.

It might have just been the big stick but I'd rather play it safe with some magic.

Roman

Other than that, it still runs fine. (knock on wood)

Ron,

can you send me a can of batwing soup?

My STI did turned into a little Diva during one stage today.

It might have just been the big stick but I'd rather play it safe with some magic.

Roman

Other than that, it still runs fine. (knock on wood)

I'm not sure the Batwing soup would help your Diva's curse, might need something a little stronger. Luckily they only sacraficed two chickens so mine was a weak spell.

The point of the post was you can buy an STI and its a pretty good gun and you can go out to the match and shoot it after you break it in. If you make changes make them one at a time. Most problems are either ammo or mags, or extractor and the AFTEC pretty well cures that. I can agree with that.

A lot of mag issues could be eliminated by using some common sense, if you drop it, at least unload it and it won't hurt to clean it either.

The performance pack may not be necessary, but I am confident that everyone will want a little trigger work done.

The point of the post was you can buy an STI and its a pretty good gun and you can go out to the match and shoot it after you break it in.

How many new, totally stock STIs have you bought? The one I did needed work, and that's quite common. Unfortunate, but common. R,

The point of the post was you can buy an STI and its a pretty good gun and you can go out to the match and shoot it after you break it in.

How many new, totally stock STIs have you bought? The one I did needed work, and that's quite common. Unfortunate, but common. R,

Absolutely Zero. I kind of drifted the thread with the Dead Chickens but in a attempt to get it back on track I just repeated what I got out of the original post. Fact is the poster bought his used. STI builds a good gun, but not all of them are created eqaul some run some don't, I've even seen the enhancement pack not run, this is hear say, since they were not mine, I just observed this with other shooters in the clubs I shoot with. I do have 5 of the S_I variety, all bought used and abused.

I, too, have an STI. It has never given me any problems. I can say it's stock, but I don't know, as I bought it used, and the previous owner said he only put 500 rounds through it, and never mentioned any work done to it. It's an older TruBor Competitor. Coco, I think you said you had one of these? Mine does have the TruBor 1 piece barrel, not the screw on comp.

I, too, have an STI. It has never given me any problems. I can say it's stock, but I don't know, as I bought it used, and the previous owner said he only put 500 rounds through it, and never mentioned any work done to it. It's an older TruBor Competitor. Coco, I think you said you had one of these? Mine does have the TruBor 1 piece barrel, not the screw on comp.

Grumpy, I had the twin to yours bought it with about 500 rounds, and sold it to my smith for a handsome profit without ever shooting it. He shot a couple matches with it, ran fine, then he took the mill to it, knocked the slide weight down to 8 oz and poppel holed it.

My #1 gun is a Competitor with the screw on comp, and its been made-over with a Bedell Ti comp and the fat whacked off the slide.

I also bought a HPF Dawson Edge with < 100 rounds fired, got it for a song. This gun ran fine, but the trigger wasn't up to my lack of shooting ability so I got a second trigger job done, and its awesome.

Grumpy, I had the twin to yours bought it with about 500 rounds, and sold it to my smith for a handsome profit without ever shooting it. He shot a couple matches with it, ran fine, then he took the mill to it, knocked the slide weight down to 8 oz and poppel holed it.

My #1 gun is a Competitor with the screw on comp, and its been made-over with a Bedell Ti comp and the fat whacked off the slide.

I also bought a HPF Dawson Edge with < 100 rounds fired, got it for a song. This gun ran fine, but the trigger wasn't up to my lack of shooting ability so I got a second trigger job done, and its awesome.

So, maybe it's the newer STI's that are having the issues?

Unless things have changed, the Dawson Supertuned packaged doesn't include an actual trigger job. They'll tweak the sear spring a little, and probably check/set the overtravel, but that's about it. My Supertuned Edge had a reasonable trigger, but after about a year I put a set of the Extreme Engineering parts in it and it's much better...not as good as the trigger on my custom guns, but it's okay. I only say that so nobody out there expects a trigger job when they order the Dawson package. R,

Hmmm....Interesting post. I have owned many open and limited guns over the years and I agree with everything you have said except....

1) No Magazine Tuning. I also use SV tubes exclusively but I always tune them myself and they almost always need it.

2) Reliability packages never are needed on stock STI or SV guns. All of the ones I have owned have needed some type of work for optimum reliability.

Thats it. Everything else I agree with :)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a new STI Steelmaster in early March.My first STI and i guess you could say it's factory stock.The only thing i did to it was an Aftec.So far i have put 7000 rounds through it and i am really happy with it.Yes i have had a few stove pipes and a few odd jams,but i would blame that on my handloads more than the gun.So far i cant complain at all.Note:This is my first open pistol so i am no expert, but so far so good.

I just bought a brand spankin new sti trubor hc and ,knock on wood, haven't had a single problem with it. tho i would like some more mags. is anyone selling some of the svi's???

Watch the classifieds here and check SSI. Sometimes they have them.

BTW, I'm just a tiny bit outside Warren.