Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

E-Rudy glasses distortion/clarity?

Aglifter

I got my set of genetyks - they're comfortable, and light, but I've looked through two lenses so far, and they both seem to have some distortion - I tried wearing the ones already installed, and they gave me a headache. Should they be as clear as decent sunglasses, or should they just be judged against other wrap-around shooting glasses? (I have some Zeiss shooting glasses which are very clear, but don't offer much protection around the sides of the eyes.)

Anyone can have a manufacturing problem, I'm just trying to see if my set should be exchanged, or if they're all like this? (The distortion's pretty noticeable - if you hold them away from your eyes, and move the lenses around, you can see the image shift, etc.

I have had 3 pairs of Rudy glasses over the years both for shooting and cycling. Just got some Genetyks a couple months ago and have tried on I dont know how many pair...NEVER seen any with any distortion that I could detect.

I just got a pair of Rydons with the inserts and I'm not happy yet, the first thing is it seems like my depth perception is off. I opened my trunk with them on and it seemed like my trunk had lost half its depth the range bang was jumping up at me.

I've only shot one match with them on and I tanked it, but that was operator error and had trouble with the primary and later backup gun, so it wasn't the glasses.

I own 2 pairs of Exceptions with 6 different types of clip ons and in the last 4 years have not seen any distortion in any of these lenses. I use them for shooting, fishing, cycling, running, work and am a stickler for clarity. These have to be my clearest lenses. I've owned Oakleys, Revos, Bolles, etc... so I don't go cheap on the vision dept.

It is strange that you would have distortion. I have a few different sets of glasses and lenses and have never had any problems. Have you had anyone else try looking through them?

Not yet. I will before I send them back, but I'll stick w. the Zeiss ones for now.

Do any of ya'll have the "photo red" or "photo clear" lenses? Those are the two I tried looking through, so far. Are they supposed to be photochromatic? (I tried wearing them around the house, my head started to hurt, so I put them back in the box. I stepped outside briefly w. them, may not have been long enough for them to darken - but started getting a headache again.

Although I have no distortion with rydons, I do get a reflection from the inside of the lens. This doesn't seem to be specific to me, as a friend of mine also gets the same thing. At times I can see part of my eye or eyelashes, and other times just a non-descript reflection. It gets kind of annoying at times. I do not wear them anymore.

Butch

put the photo lenses in the case for awhile then carry them outside in the case into the sun. open the case and let it sit open for about 10 seconds. then pull the lenses out of the case, you'll see a color definition where the sun changes them. hold them up and they'll change fully in about 10 seconds. And no, i have not had any distortion with my Genetyks. when i put mine on, there is actually a slight clarity improvement from vision without glasses.

Are yours prescription or not? 

If they are the prescription direct inserts, if your inter pupil measurement was off, given the severe wrap, you can get some SERIOUSLY eye strain inducing results.  Ditto goes for some of their isnerts, like the exception. 

I'm like -4.25 and -4.75 with astigmatism in my right eye.  I got my exception inserts done properly for the severe wrap, and it wasn't cheap, but from an eye strain and clarity perspective, nothing beats it but not needing glasses. 

Not yet. I will before I send them back, but I'll stick w. the Zeiss ones for now.

Do any of ya'll have the "photo red" or "photo clear" lenses? Those are the two I tried looking through, so far. Are they supposed to be photochromatic? (I tried wearing them around the house, my head started to hurt, so I put them back in the box. I stepped outside briefly w. them, may not have been long enough for them to darken - but started getting a headache again.

I have both the Photochromic Red and Clear and have been using them for 3 years without any distortion in sunny, clear, cloudy and rainy weather. Just used them at a recent regional match without issues. Your prescription may be flawed-this happens from time to time. Or your red/clear lenses could be flawed? I'd see my opthamologist first and have him look at them-your optical centers could be off.