Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15 Comp/Brake

SN13

Was looking to get a brake/comp for my AR15. More of an AK guy myself, but I'm hoping to be able to increase my Rifle proficiency by going with my AR15. The problem is, i need a comp.

I was kinda looking at getting the Bushmaster Y-Comp. My barrel is not a heavy barrel, so I'd want a slimmer profile, and the Ycomp seems to fit the bill. Anyone use it before?

Also, other suggestions would be helpful.

~SN

Was looking to get a brake/comp for my AR15. More of an AK guy myself, but I'm hoping to be able to increase my Rifle proficiency by going with my AR15. The problem is, i need a comp.

I was kinda looking at getting the Bushmaster Y-Comp. My barrel is not a heavy barrel, so I'd want a slimmer profile, and the Ycomp seems to fit the bill. Anyone use it before?

~SN

Talked about ad nauseum please use the very fine search function. We have PAGES in info and opinion.

OR.....Pick one, be happy and practice. Comp or no comp ain't the problem. A lack of ammo

is generally at the root of most problems.

Patrick

Did a search. Didn't find much on the Y-Comp. SO i Asked. :)

Very good sir, I retract my direction.

Y-Comp....must not have much if any following. Blaze your own trail!

OR

Benny Hill Rolling Thunder.

SJC Titan

Miculek

JP

SureFire

All work, all have fanboys

OR

Sorry to sound like a broken record (CD?)

Pick one and practice. Really it works.

Good luck on your quest

Patrick

Patrick,

FWIW, if you want it to fit a pencil bbl profile, I thing you would be disappointed with the Miculek Comp, the Rolling Thunder, and the J.P.. I may be mistaken, but I think they are all around .75" where they meet the barrel shoulder and get larger in diameter.

Here's a picture of the Miculek on my RRA heavy mid-length. The bbl is around .73" where the threads start.

IMG_1689.jpg

I have seen the SJC Titan comp on a lightweight bbl and it looked right at home. YMMV It's also one hell of a comp.

I vote for the Titan.

Most pencil barrels I've seen taper back out to .75 at the threads.... having said that, he did not say he had a pencil barrel, just "not a heavy".

The Bushmaster Y-comp works better than a birdcage... barely but ... if you are talking competition, pick one Patrick mentioned above and go shoot. The Miculek is cheapest among those mentioned. I'd also add the Nordic Tactical Comp for $35 to the list.... heck of a comp for its small size and small price, and looks good on a smaller barrel. http://www.cpwsa.com/nordic_components.htm

At the other end of the scale, $120, the SCJ Titan is awesome.

But any of them will work.

like was posted above, for the MOST part, the good comps all do a good job. I picked the SJC after i watched a few dif videos and found a rifle full auto with a SJC and the barrel didnt move and inch. plus i like the looks of it :) time to practice!! :cheers:

0.65" Diameter barrel which widens to 0.70" at the tip just before the crush washer and flash hider.

Compensator is at the very bottom of the page: http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=8

That's the biggest issue, i don't want a brake that doesn't flow into the barrel but i hate Heavy profiles.

Also, what's the max OD on the brake that keeps me in Tactical?

Thanks!

Edited by SN13

There seem to be two SJC .223 Titan Comps. One $90 one $120... IF they are the same besides the material ($120 is Stainless) then i'll get the SJC and be done with it.

Thanks for the help guys. On a side note, the Bushmaster Y-Comp is very similar in design to the SJC Titan. 3-rearward horizontal ports/baffels and some compensating ports on top.

If anyone has any more input, i'd appreciate it.

~SN

The Nordic compensator is relatively small, simple, and effective. It's not going to do as much as some of the big guys, but it's less obnoxious to listen to and the price makes it a great place to start.

SN13,

Yes, the SJC comps are the same except for the material.

The SJC and the Y-comp's are similiar in looks, but they have some significant design changes. If you would like some more information about the SJC comps, you can contact me at your convenience and we can talk about the comp.

Good shooting,

Erik

703-798-2226

Edited by Bear1142

0.65" Diameter barrel which widens to 0.70" at the tip just before the crush washer and flash hider.

Compensator is at the very bottom of the page: http://www.bushmaste...ducts.asp?cat=8

That's the biggest issue, i don't want a brake that doesn't flow into the barrel but i hate Heavy profiles.

Also, what's the max OD on the brake that keeps me in Tactical?

Thanks!

You can call PRI-Precision Reflex Inc- they are helpful on the phone. Their MSTN QC is excellent PRI MSTN compensator. It is real loud, but works really well. Comes in black or silver.The ports go straight to the side and don't angle back to shower you with pixie dust like some others. It has great style points. Looks good on a tapered barrel. Pat's article is the starting point to research comps-I think somebody linked to it. I don't think he covered the PRI yet. The search function in the forum can be hard to figure out-go out to Google, put in your search terms and then cherry pick the results from stuff that is only in the Brian Enos forums. Don't use the Bushmaster-it's only mildly entertaining.

The Nordic compensator is relatively small, simple, and effective. It's not going to do as much as some of the big guys, but it's less obnoxious to listen to and the price makes it a great place to start.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22829785/AR15-Compensators-pt-2

Is a fantastic read. Thank you.

One thing else I noticed. SJC Lund and TTI Eliminator .... very similar to the Bushmaster Ycomp.

I'm not a Bushmaster fan, but... If the Ycomp does 99% of what the SJC/TTI do at 50% the cost... we'll see. thanks for the input guys!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22829785/AR15-Compensators-pt-2

If the Ycomp does 99% of what the SJC/TTI do at 50% the cost... we'll see. thanks for the input guys!

I have shot a gun with a Ycomp, and one with most of the others listed above.... the Ycomp is not even close in performance. Off the top of my head, subjectively, maybe 60%of the SJC. Look similar - maybe. Performance - no. I'd spend the money on the Miculek or Nordic before I tried the Ycomp...... but thats just me.

You asked for advice here on comps.... up to you to disregard it if you want.

Let us know how the BM Ycomp works out for you.

I just looked it up for Tactical or Limited in USPSA 3 gun, the max length a brake can be is 3"...... the Ycomp is 3.25" long.... so if you are shooting USPSA 3-gun, the Ycomp would not be legal in those Divisions. It would be legal in Open. Now, the "mini Ycomp" would be legal in Tac or Lim, its only 2 5/16" long.

http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=8

Edited by sfinney

I beg to differ...

I have three rifles, one with Rolling Thunder, one with SJC and one with Y-comp. I compete with the Y-comp, it is my favorite, SJC is second. The Y-comp is on a middy, the SJC and Rolling Thunder are on a rifle gas system.

Just my opinion...

Edited to add - My Y-comp is exact same length as the SJC, just measured.

Edited by Shay1911

The irony of this.... I sold Shay his Y-comp.... I had no AR at the time.

After selling it to him, he said something like "I like it better than some of the more expensive comps out there" which is what got me thinking about it as a possibility....

Edited by SN13

I was just thinking I had not seen any discussions on comps in this forum, so I was going to search for one and ask the question myself. Then what happens, I open up the rifle forum and here is this thread at the top of the list. Thanks for the great discussion you guys.

Only one comp is tuned for the specific length of your barrel and it is the SAW Custom. No web site and no ads but just a lot of very happy users. You can pay much more for others or you can call Henry Avant at 478-986-4156 and tell him the length of your barrel.

I used a Y-comp for a while and I love it. I've tried several but the Y-comp has consistently outperformed them (for me). Unfortunately, when my suppressor came, it had to come off. it's still sitting in my parts bin though. I figure I'll use it sooner or later on another build.

• 1 month later...

I shot my first rifle match this weekend with a SJC Titan on my heavy barrel AR. This is just a local match and most of the shooting is done with a row of shooters and targets at 50, 100, or 200 yds.

The first round was done with everyone in a row and was a series of standing, kneeling, prone shots at 200 yds. People around me started inching away from the compensator blast. Afterwards a couple guys on either side of me came over and asked what the hell I was shooting that was so loud.

The last round of the day was fairly short range shooting on the move one person at a time. After I shot that, a bunch of people came over and asked what the hell I was shooting and how did it work and where could they get one.

:devil: