Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dentists that are pushy about x-rays

Middle Man

My wife and I have repeatedly informed our dentist (over several years) we're not interested in having any x-rays done, yet he and his staff persists in attempted to up-sell us on x-rays. Look, I know x-rays are a fabulous profit center for your practice, but we're just not interested in unnecessary radiation to la cabeza. The tipping point was today when (having not even looked at the chart) he again attempted to up-sell my pregnant wife on x-rays.

They will/do show things that the human eys can not see.

I allow them to be taken once a year-for my own safety of

seeing anything before it hits-at least thats my thoughts.

On the other hand- and I have someone in the business its

good money for them.But you know this any way.

However in your wifes condition- he is an A$$- GET another

one-soon! :D

I went to a dentist several years ago. She told me that I had cavities in two different molars - one on the lower right side and one on the lower left. They could only fix one cavity at a time. For the first one, it took over an hour to fill the cavity and it hurt like hell.

I got scared and didn't go back to have the second one filled. Two years later I go to another dentist - I guy I know personally. Guess what - I had no cavity in the second molar :surprise: The first dentist was full of sh*t and drumming up business :angry2:

I call the office of the first dentist to give them a piece of my mind. The receptionist tells me that she moved on and she doesn't know where she is . . .

Edited by chp5

I hear you. I had the same dentist for 25 years and then just before he retired (without telling me) he partnered up with a younger dentist. The new dentist did my last two 6 month checkups and she wanted to redo all my old fillings. I told her no, that I was fine and that because I don't have dental insurance I didn't want to spend the money. Well a couple weeks after the apoinment the office is calling to set an appointment to have the filing redone. I tell them the same thing I told her but after the next check up she does the same thing. My old dentist just took care of what was wrong, the new person seems bent on "revenure enhancement" with lots of cool wiz-bang stuff they can do to your teeth.

I'm looking for a new dentist.

Finding a good dentist is like finding a good doctor/lawyer/accountant/and/or any other professional. While they're all supposed to meet a minimum standard of service/professionalism, getting a good one is not as common as we'd like, and they're worth hanging onto once discovered.

That, of course, goes not only for professional skill, but ethics.

I'm the same way. I get x-rays every 3 or 4 years, despite having to argue with the every 6 months. They really like the argument "insurance will pay for it." I want my treatment based on what is medically necessary, not what you can get paid for.