Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoilmaster

Ricardo

Hello to you all. I have been browsing this site for approx 6 months and you guys are awesome with the amount of info and knowledge you share.

I have recently purchased an STI IPSC model in 38 super and it came with the light recoilmaster. The gun would not function with it so I contacted my distributer and he sent me a heavy recoilmaster.

The gun works fine now but i have read how people experiment with different recoil springs to get the gun working the way they like.

If i wanted to do this and go to a conventional guide rod system ,do i use the reverse plug that comes with the recoilmaster?

I have been shooting handguns for a few years but this is the first I have owned, so any advise you give me will be much appreciated regards Rick

There are plenty of people who like recoilmasters. I don't, the recoil impulse feels like I'm holding a serpent. I am surprised the gun wouldn't run with a light RCM though. It's been a while so I don't remember if the reverse plug is the same. If you decide to go conventional make sure the rear of the guide rod does not contact the frame in any way. A little dremeling will be required if it does. Again there are varied opinions on recoil springs with 8-9 lbs being the most common in an open gun, 12-12.5 in a Limited gun. If the gun will not run with a light RCM you may have to start a little on the high side.

I personally prefer not using a recoil master. I shot one for a while in a HPF Edge but didn't like the feel of it. It's reputation for breaking didn't help either. In my case I was able to use the same reverse plug. There are 3 basic type of recoil rod Aluminum, Steel, and Tungsten. That is light to heavy you can use this to change the balance and weight of the gun. If you receive the Front Sight this months article was on Recoil Springs.

I tend to use a heavier recoil spring than the average shooter in my 38 Super Open gun I run a 10# in my 9 mm Major Shorty a 11#. Shooting major loads in a compensated gun the rate range is from 8# to 12#. Every time I make a modification to the gun or change my load I will go thru re selecting the recoil spring. I try them till one of them puts a smile on my face, when it feels good it is the right one for me. Some get more scientific about it running drills and keeping track of the times, but for me it is what feels good. I find that if I am very comfortable with the gun I shoot a lot better.

+1. I have two of Bob's SX Open blasters and both have Recoilmasters. I've been happy with both of them and Bob has sound reasons for using them.

I was talking with another big name gunsmith we all know. He puts RM's in his guns as standard practice. I said I'm not a fan of them and he said "Oh, I don't run them in MY gun". Funny <_<

I have tried many different setups in my STI Eagle 9mm setup for IDPA. I actually like the recoilmaster. It did however require some fitting. If you go to a standard guide rod setup, I found that the aluminum shock buffs from dawson work great when running light springs.

+1. I have two of Bob's SX Open blasters and both have Recoilmasters. I've been happy with both of them and Bob has sound reasons for using them.

I was talking with another big name gunsmith we all know. He puts RM's in his guns as standard practice. I said I'm not a fan of them and he said "Oh, I don't run them in MY gun". Funny <_<

FWIW, one of my guns was Bob's personal shooter up until last month. Like the older SX, it too has a Recoilmaster.

i used to have recoilmaster on my S_I 40S&W, i dont know why the previous owner put a light set-up recoil master, i changed the main spring- (on the recoil master) to a heavier spring, about 12lbs but later changed to 11lbs and now works fine. at first i was hesitant to change the set-up since it came that way, but regular recoil spring will fit fine.

I switched out the heavy RM in my Brazos Edge with a stainless EGW guiderod and a conventional recoil spring; I like the feel a lot better now. The guiderod plug that came with the gun works fine with the new guiderod.

Edited by SIG shooter

The general rule of thumb is light in open guns and heavy in limited guns. You can switch them up like you did but seems a little odd, I wonder what Bob goes by. Anyway, you can use the plug from the RM but not the other way around. It states in their instructions to not use a different plug other than the one that came with the RM. I think it has something to do with the cracking but not sure on that. I got most of this from a rep at STI (except the cracking part, he wouldn't comment on that).

^^+1

for the recoil master reverse plug, i had no choice but to use that on a tungsten rod i got from the classifieds. it worked fine. never cracked. around 1k rounds and it does still look like the way it was. i replaced it now with EGW reverse plug.

i liked my tungsten guide rod now. better felt recoil. its subjective. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a homemade recoil system. Originally I just used a Commonolli frame saver tungsten guide rod on a Para-Ordnance .45. A friend of mine has a RM and we came to the conclusion that it is just a two spring system. I use an uncut 12# Commander spring and a cut 20# Gov't spring as the secondary spring. I used an uncut gov't lenghth spring to make sure the two springs come out to the same length a standard recoil spring. A spacer is used in between the two and creates the dual spring setup on my guide rod. Pull back the slide, unlocks easily, slows down the slide before reaching full battery.

Pro's of this system:

Uses existing guide rod. Tunable by changing springs to suit the load. Easy to replace springs. No custom take down tool needed just a bent paper clip that I've always used before I used this two spring set up. Most of all, didn't have to invest $90 for a RM.

If you want to see how it shoots, check the video in my signature below. I am using 230gr. lead bullets loaded to major. Some of my friends think I'm shooting a 9mm or .40.

The hole in the recoil master is a little larger, I would suggest you purchase a new guide rod and plug at the same time you purchase the springs.

Brazos has a good selection and I would pick several different weights to see what feels best to you.

My guide rods are drilled, captured with a bent paper clip so you can take the spring guide system out as a unit . You can do the same with the Recoil Master and the plastic tool. Would make it easier when tuning the gun to you.

Might pick up a 17lb mainspring when placing your order.