Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Specter DR 1x4 or 1.5x6 for 3 gun

tinnhound

Just wondering what eveyone's thought and opinions are on the Elcan Specter Dr for use in 3gun matches, mounted on an AR, Also which one to get, the 1x4 or the 1.5x6. Our local matches usually have trap shooting clays or bowling pins placed out to 100 meters. Thanks for your help!

Edited by tinnhound

Have the 1x4. Love it. The 4 power is getting it done for me. The 1x is great. The dot visibility is outstanding. No trouble at Blue Ridge and the distance was out to about 480. The 6x sounds good but could be a bit of trouble since its either all or nothing. I would like to see one. The 1.5 sounds more troubling. The true 1x is great on the close stuff.

I have both. I have used the 1x4 DR since it was released and everything Mark tells you about it is true and then some. If it is 100 or even 150 or under the 1x will do business.

I also now have the 1.5x6 and I was a bit worried about the 1.5. After it was delivered I discovered my fears were unfounded. Because the glass is so good, what you get with the 1.5 is the same clarity as the 1x and the only difference is a smaller field of view.

Like Mark, I have also used a 1x4 at Blue Ridge for the last two years and for the last 3 at Ft Benning. Both matches feature shots out past 400 yards. My 1x4 has done a great job at both matches and I will be using the 1.5x6 at Benning this year.

If cost is a factor, since the 1.5x6 was realeased the 1x4s seem to be a tad cheaper and there are some used ones on the market now where before the release of the newer scope, they were impossible to find used.

Since the reticle comes in both 223 and 308 for both scopes, make sure you order the right one regardess of which power you choose. If you want a demo 1x4, send me an IM as I have one that I will sell.

I think it is an excellent choice. I have been running the 1.5-6. The glass is really nice, and I don't really notice that it is 1.5x instead of 1. I also like the speed with which you can move from 1.5 to 6x. Most times I only use the lowest or the highest magnification, so this throw lever is nice. The only problem I have with this scope is that it is kind of big, but the benefits outweigh this minor problem.

• 2 months later...

I have a couple of 1x4s for sale. They were made on a special run for a black ops group and these came out of the extras. Everything is the same except there are no markings on the scopes so you just have to remember that to turn it on your reticle turn the knob forward 3 clicks or you can solve the marking issue with a touch of nail polish.

If anyone wants one of these, they have never been mounted and priced less than what retailers are asking. PM me for more details.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

This question is going to go off subject a bit, but it seems that Specter DR owners are the ones offering their opinions here.

Just got mine yesterday and am very excited about it. One problem, when I tried to mount it to my POF top rail it was extremely hard to close the ARMS levers all the way, in fact I barely got them to the half way point of full closed.

Anyone have a similar problem? I put some oil on the levers and locking slides/plates to help it along but not much improvement. Should I tap the levers down to the closed position or do I risk damage to the scope? Looks like it would work with a few taps of the hammer, but I don't know. If I did use a hammer I would need to pry the levers open to take the Specter off.

Much invested in this item and don't want to F--k it up.

Thanks....TEEMCH5

I would suggest calling Specter about the problem with the ARMS mounts. You'll get great advise from very knowledgeable shooters here, but in the event something turns south, I'd like to have the name and number of an employee of the manufacturer.

Hello All,

This question is going to go off subject a bit, but it seems that Specter DR owners are the ones offering their opinions here.

Just got mine yesterday and am very excited about it. One problem, when I tried to mount it to my POF top rail it was extremely hard to close the ARMS levers all the way, in fact I barely got them to the half way point of full closed.

Anyone have a similar problem? I put some oil on the levers and locking slides/plates to help it along but not much improvement. Should I tap the levers down to the closed position or do I risk damage to the scope? Looks like it would work with a few taps of the hammer, but I don't know. If I did use a hammer I would need to pry the levers open to take the Specter off.

Much invested in this item and don't want to F--k it up.

Thanks....TEEMCH5

ARMS mounts are bad news and Dick Swan is a complete, well . . . his first name tells it all. They aren't adjustable to conform to your particular rail and the quality of the materials is sub par at best.

The fact that Elcan decided to use a mounting system from ARMS instead of a quality solution like LaRue is why I wouldn't even consider using one of their optics, regardless of the quality of the optic itself.

What is a good retail source for Elcan?

http://www.botachtactical.com/elcanspecterdr.html

One would be wise to do a little research on Botach before ordering from them.

SWFA would be my suggestion. Also look at their samplelist page.

In fairness to Botach they have gotten better in the last year. Not sure if its new management or not. But they have taken efforts to correct their reputation.

Pat

NEVER had an issue with the ARMS mount on a mil spec rail.

There in lies part of the problem. Most manufactures vary from mil spec. Not a big deal if you have a good mounting system like Larue or ADM where you can adjust for the variance. With ARMS its time for aluminum foil and some luck.

Pat

Thanks for the replies to my question.

I spoke to a representative at Elcan and he said pretty much what has been said here by you folks, the ARMS system has very little tolerance when it comes to rails and most rail manufactures use more variance in their rails, so it's a crap shoot.

I got the go ahead to tap the levers down with a hammer, just tap and it closed the levers OK. To release them I needed a pair of pliers, but it worked and even loosened it up a tad. No damage to the mount or my rails and a very tight fit when on.

The guy at Elcan said they even use a fiberglass rod to tighten and release the sights on some of the problem rails, helps with the leverage.

Elcan said if I have any damage to the mount I can send it back for repair.

I'll post anything else that may come up as it comes up.

Thanks....TEEMCH5