Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumbler Needed

dirtypool40

Guys,

as a bunch of you know I am headed "OCONUS" for a couple of years for a job. I am taking my reloading gear with me. I love my "new" 1050, but I am concerned about the other bits, especially the tumbler.

The shooting buddy already down there has had his Large Dillon give up the ghost, and is using a Lymann. I had a small Dillon die and am using a Large one now.

What is your experience? What will hold the most and hold up the longest?

I know this isn't "sexy," but my grandfather cobbled up a damn cool rock tumbler out of a old washing machine motor, belts, pulleys, and some tubes designed for tumbling rocks. He had it set up where he could tumble all kinds of tubes simultaneously. It ran 24/7 for DECADES.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a tumbler that didn't have "Dillon" printed on the front, but if you're really worried that it won't last 3 years, there is Grandpa's Plan B.

I don’t have a Dillon tumbler but the business end of one I do have looks like a pretty simple mechanism, just a motor. Why not order a new replacement motor when buy your tumbler? I’m guessing every other part can be “Mickey Moused” one way or another, in the field.

I just got to ask, with all this stuff your taking how MANY large steamer trunks are you allowed? :P

Ed

I think that the hours run probably matter more than the # of years or rounds.

My small Dillon has run w/o a hitch for about 3500 hours in about 12 hour stints.

I think that running off different voltage might mess up a motor. Doesn't Dillon have European voltage equipment for sale? (Don't know if that would help you where you are headed)

yeah, voltage is a problem. It is 220v, but the surges and "frequency" is different and inconsistent, that's what wears stuff out.

It has been suggested that I get "power conditioners" for the stuff I don't want to fry.

They are "issuing" me furniture, so clothes, gear and reloading stuff are taking up the most of my shipping allowance.