Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CED chrono in a box

kurtm

Okay I put a CED Chrono into a ply-wood box, gave it over head DC bulbs and put the sky screens under the bulbs. I used 45 watt DC bulbs and I am powering it with a car battery. The problem I am having is it only reads about half the bullets that go over it pistol wise and it doesn't read any rifle ammo.The Chrono works great out of the box but for matches I need to have it in the box for accuracy and consistency, What am I missing, or doing wrong? Thanks for the help. KurtM

Outstanding, thanks for the info. Now does any one know how to get hold of Greg? thanks KurtM

Oh forgot to add 9' from muzzle, just like without the box.

Edited by kurtm

Okay I put a CED Chrono into a ply-wood box, gave it over head DC bulbs and put the sky screens under the bulbs. I used 45 watt DC bulbs and I am powering it with a car battery. The problem I am having is it only reads about half the bullets that go over it pistol wise and it doesn't read any rifle ammo.The Chrono works great out of the box but for matches I need to have it in the box for accuracy and consistency, What am I missing, or doing wrong? Thanks for the help. KurtM

Are you using the IR system? I believe that is the only way to get a "coffin" to work consistently...

jj

Are you using the IR system? I believe that is the only way to get a "coffin" to work consistently...

jj

Agreed. Most who run CED's in a box use the IR setup. Also, typical distance is a minimum of 10' to the screens. Not sure if the 9' you mentioned is to the screens or to the box.

Hey Kurt-I had a similar issue with a original Millenium when I made a box-turns out the plywood was kind of white and the reflection was wiping out the shadow. Maybe a quick dust of flat black on the bottom would be a quick fix. you do not need IR necessarily. Good luck.

I have been having issues with my chrono box. The last box I saw was all black on the inside. I think I am going to give that a try

Edited by AWLAZS

I have built two boxes for CED's. Both for the same user. He uses IR. He used them for a while with out painting things black. They worked just fine the brown wood color. They are nearly as perfect as perfect can be painted black. Get some IR screens.

DSC_3075.jpg

We have since that picture used some cardboard to make the holes on the ends a little smaller. Greg suggested the size of a Coffe Can. Either way a target works fine to make the hole whatever size you want.

DSC_3069.jpg

Edited by 98sr20ve