Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Can I Shoot

Hi everyone! I am a 58 year old guy with a handicap. I use crutches to get around. I would guess that would limit my competition shooting opportunities. What type of matches could I participate in? Any ideas welcome!

Hi everyone! I am a 58 year old guy with a handicap. I use crutches to get around. I would guess that would limit my competition shooting opportunities. What type of matches could I participate in? Any ideas welcome!

Steel challenge (or the various local variations) would be manageable. For the vast majority of stages, you are standing in one spot and shooting 5 plates. There are a handful of stages that require moving from one box to another, but even then, the movement is in a straight line and no more than 15-20 feet.

Yeah the Steel Challenge matches are probably your best bet. We had a family friend who had a handicap I can't recall the exact one, but he was a bit shakey and used crutches to walk. He used to shoot steel matches with us, and would do a quick hand swap/crutch swap when going to weakhand that was cool to watch. He was actually falling, just really slowly, so that he had the gun up in his weakhand, and his right hand in the crutch, (the kind that have a handle and wrist cuffs that are open in the front) before he resumed firing. He would shoot stages in his chair too if he had to reload. We would take turns pushing him around. Sure was alot of fun.

I haven't thought about that guy in 30 years. Got a phone call to make now.

Good luck, have fun, and welcome to the sports.

JZ

i wouldtend to agree w/ the rest ofthe posts, the GSSF matches would be a GREAT place to start, no movement, no draws from holsters etc...a very basic wayto get your feet wet in the competition shooting sports, steel challenge type matches(hey, everyone likes to ring the steel) the big match has only one stage that you move on, and that isnt too terribly far.

dont think of your hadicap as some sort of limitation, you wantto shoot bad enuff, talk tothe local clubs and see how if if they can accomodate you, ifthey are like the folks i shoot with here locally, you will be encouraged to come on out and play

we had a gentleman yrs ago, who was in a wheelchair, had all of his gear strapped/welded to his chair, and we would push him from box to box onthe long field courses, he yelled at me one time cuz i was pushing too slow and he was losing time!!!!! it was a real kick for all of us

+10 on the Steel Challenge matches. No movement, and most local clubs are more than happy to accommodate any physical limitations. I had surgery on my Achilles tendon and heel bone recently and they were more than happy to allow me to shoot sitting in a chair with my weapon at low ready. Talk to your local Match Director about your limitations, I'm sure the folks will bend over backwards to assist you.

Be safe and have fun.

Maybe you can find a club like mine that has several steel matches a month. We have a guy who hobbles to the line with a shooting cart and cane. He usually smokes the competition! :cheers:

• 5 weeks later...

DPC Dallas Pistol Club holds two Steel Matches a month with little or no movement. Real Steel and Metal Mania

you don't have Handgunner any more, But I shot Handgunner =Man on Man and one guy was in a Weel Chair with the holster on the side of the chair. he did good with it.

Actually, a club in Arizona has picked up the name "handgunner" & shot the match last year & have it scheduled for this year!!! It is some of the guys that used to shoot every year in Colorado. Looks like the same setup, pretty much. I'll see if I can find the details & post on here. It is ideal for almost anyone that can shoot a gun safely. There were a couple of guys in wheelchairs at least one year & a couple of others with handicaps of one type or another.

I found a link to the website talking about the "handgunner" match. It is an abbreviated format but still sounds like fun. Here it is: http://www.thunderstrikes.com/gunclub/handgunner_2010.htm

MLM

Edited by mlmiller1

• 2 weeks later...

Tim you have great steel matches that require no movement right in your back yard at the Dallas Pistol Club every 3rd and 4th Sunday of the month. Great people and great shooting.

http://www.dallaspistolclub.com/index.php

Here's a Google map to the range location in Carrollton. Very easy to get to off of I35. MAP

Edited by Steve J

Steel Matches, modified bianchi, and GSSF at a minimum. I remember front sight having an article about a nearly blind shooter using a special method for firing his modified .22 for steel matches. It was really cool. I would imagine that any club would help you out. Heck, you could even shoot USPSA or IDPA; you may not be competitive but if it's just a matter of having a good time, limit your movement on the courses and blast away!

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on the Steel matches. You might also see if there are any bowling pin clubs near you, a fun match and no movement required.

Joe W.

Bowling pin matches are a blast. No movement required. Man on man pin matches are even better.

• 4 weeks later...