Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chroming a Glock Question

Micah

Now that I finally have my load developed for my G24, I plan on shooting it for the rest of the year and giving my Jager build G17 and G34 a break. I would have never considered it until now since I didn't want to miss out on dryfiring, but I have some time to get them chromed (especially my poor G34 that has undertaken more costume changes than I'm willing to admit).

Any recommendations?

Since the underlying Tenifer is silver, if you really must have a silver slide, why not just have the black oxide bead blasted away, leaving the sliver Tenifer exposed? I've seen this done several times and it actually looks pretty darn good. Probably considerably less expensive than chroming, you could probably have it done locally thus no need to send off the slide, and no possible dimensional or embrittlement problems.

Since the underlying Tenifer is silver, if you really must have a silver slide, why not just have the black oxide bead blasted away, leaving the sliver Tenifer exposed? I've seen this done several times and it actually looks pretty darn good. Probably considerably less expensive than chroming, you could probably have it done locally thus no need to send off the slide, and no possible dimensional or embrittlement problems.

My first inclination is to say "Why?"

But then I like seeing wear on a competitor's or champion's blaster....

If I was gonna do it, I might try Duane's approach first....

Nik, the gun has been worn beyond showing smile lines. With being duacoated blue, then having it removed with chemicals, then polished via polish wheel, there are signs of rusting on the slide now that I'm not playing with it every day.

Since this was my first gun for USPSA, and since I have done so well with it, I think chroming would be a nice way to keep it preserved.

...and if you like wear lines Nik, you should see what I've done to my poor G24 over the course of a month :D

Nik, the gun has been worn beyond showing smile lines. With being duacoated blue, then having it removed with chemicals, then polished via polish wheel, there are signs of rusting on the slide now that I'm not playing with it every day.

Since this was my first gun for USPSA, and since I have done so well with it, I think chroming would be a nice way to keep it preserved.

...and if you like wear lines Nik, you should see what I've done to my poor G24 over the course of a month :D

Yep, sounds like you need something...you are below the tenifer.

Edited by dirty whiteboy