Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Progressive press and pocket cleaning

I've been reloading for about 2 months now using a Lee anniversary single stage press. It's working fine, but I'm starting to think about upgrading to a progressive. I'm wondering when/if you clean the shell pockets in the progressive press process?

Thanks,

Mike

Well you are using a Lee press if you have the Lee book it says dirty brass shoots just as good as clean brass. Now I do clean my brass but on pistol I don't clean primer pockets. On rifle I do clean them because the are lubed for sizing, then to get the lube out I put them back in the tumbler. When they come out I ream and clean the primer pockets.

for pistol?? for what we do on this competition(action pistol) the A zones are pretty generous, so I say load an go for pistol, for somthing like long range or varmint hunting??? yeah I will clean out the primer pockets, as forthe clean Vs. dirty brass out shooting one another??? i think its more for inspection purposes and certainly easier on the dies, I got one lousy piece of i dont know what in a .45 die once and it was trashed, put a mark on every case after that...so for me??? clean brass all the time

If it's a thing you feel good doing, just buy extra brass and pre-process the cases in the off season. Size and deprime them, then re-tumble them in fine walnut media.

"Off season?" What is this "off season" of which you speak? Does it have something to do with weather?

I live in northern New England, and I shoot close to 1,000 rounds a month, year 'round . . .

;)

If it's a thing you feel good doing, just buy extra brass and pre-process the cases in the off season. Size and deprime them, then re-tumble them in fine walnut media.

"Off season?" What is this "off season" of which you speak? Does it have something to do with weather?

I live in northern New England, and I shoot close to 1,000 rounds a month, year 'round . . .

;)

Come to northern Minnesota in January and see how many rounds you get off a month.

• 2 months later...

Pistol Brass: Tumble each (in quantity) before loading every time. Clean primer pockets = NEVER.

Rifle Brass: Tumble each (lower quantity) before loading every time. Clean primer pockets = every time.

I would clean with walnut media and polish with corncob and let em ride! Cleaning primer pocket on a progressive! What's that? Lol...

Why polish? Polishing the brass is not gonna make it shoot any better. Clean with walnut (takes about 2 hours, somewhat dull finish) or clean with corncob (takes about 4 hours, brass looks new....on the outside). Either way, it's good to go. I like the walnut because of the smaller granules...doesn't seen to get stuck in the flash hole as bad, and it last longer than corncob (not that corncob doesn't last, I used the same 10lbs for almost 3 years!)

I would clean with walnut media and polish with corncob and let em ride! Cleaning primer pocket on a progressive! What's that? Lol...

Why polish? Polishing the brass is not gonna make it shoot any better. Clean with walnut (takes about 2 hours, somewhat dull finish) or clean with corncob (takes about 4 hours, brass looks new....on the outside). Either way, it's good to go. I like the walnut because of the smaller granules...doesn't seen to get stuck in the flash hole as bad, and it last longer than corncob (not that corncob doesn't last, I used the same 10lbs for almost 3 years!)

Cause my cousins girlfriend works at pet mart and I don't won't it to go to waist! + I like my brass to look pertty! Lol...

Cause my cousins girlfriend works at pet mart and I don't won't it to go to waist! + I like my brass to look pertty! Lol...

Pretty brass is like a pimped out Desert Eagle...looks good, but totally worthless for performance. ;)

the ONLY reason you may want to consider primer pocket cleaning on pistol brass is for Bullseye competition. for our game...total waste of time.

As others have said, for the rifle game, uniforming and cleaning is a must.

this thread make me thinking.... i load pistol brass and i occasionaly get some primer pockets clogged with hard deposits sitting in....and noticed these were making a crunchy noise when seating a new primer lolol.

Might be just left over media or dust from the tumbler. Try a media separator (squirrel like)cage!

this thread make me thinking.... i load pistol brass and i occasionaly get some primer pockets clogged with hard deposits sitting in....and noticed these were making a crunchy noise when seating a new primer lolol.

Might be just left over media or dust from the tumbler. Try a media separator (squirrel like)cage!

I think Marki nailed it. A tip for you noobs...If your press starts pulling the primer back into the primer pocket after you de-prime, take your de-primer pin and sharpen it to a point instead of the rounded end. This will keep it from "grabbing" onto the primer and re-seating the spent primer.