Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fourtrax's Range Report

Chris iliff

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this season is starting out as a crap fest.

STI is warranting my slide, but that won't be here until after the 19th they tell me.

Then who knows how long until I get it fitted. GANs did say to call him when I got it so that is promising. If he comes out of retirement and fixes it for me then it will be done in a week or less. I'll be back in the game before July.

I am so bummed as I had great plans this summer. It's hard for me to switch gears. I really get mad thinking about shooting anything but open and I know it's stupid, but it is what it is. I will be working on a shelter for the range and that will be nice.

I must get 2 open guns in the future. This sucks gravel.

Well this season is starting out as a crap fest.

STI is warranting my slide, but that won't be here until after the 19th they tell me.

Then who knows how long until I get it fitted. GANs did say to call him when I got it so that is promising. If he comes out of retirement and fixes it for me then it will be done in a week or less. I'll be back in the game before July.

I am so bummed as I had great plans this summer. It's hard for me to switch gears. I really get mad thinking about shooting anything but open and I know it's stupid, but it is what it is. I will be working on a shelter for the range and that will be nice.

I must get 2 open guns in the future. This sucks gravel.

That's rough dude... Sounds like my last season dealing with the glocks.... I feel your frustration.

-rvb

Piss and moan session.

STI says 19th on slide.

I just talked to my Dad, who is still in Florida,....... my nephew, cousin, and him are all going to shoot a Thursday night uspsa match.. I am really Jonsin' to shoot now. Talking with Dad about shooting and their match really got me wanting to shoot a match.

Right now, I ain't in a good mood. I know it will turn and things will get better, but sucking gravel is what I got right now.

Piss and moan session over.

Edited to add: I appreciate all the offers for rigs and guns. CB45 is gonna loan me one of his Open guns after Area 5 and I'll get back in the swing shortly.

Edited by Chris iliff

The two classifiers that didn't post last month posted. I am officially at 84.58% nationally. Ain't that a kick in the gonads. I have talked to CB45 and he is gonna let me borrow a blaster. With no blaster and the limited shooting I've gotten in this season, I'm sure I'll have some rust to knock off.

I'm a little excited about getting in a routine and reaching my goal of Master for this year. I think it is more than do-able.

When I make it, I will claw my way to the podium and have fun doing it. No different than when I made A. Fun stuff!!!

Sorry to hear about your gun problems. Hope to see you on the range soon!!

Thanks brother, hopefully it will get sorted out soon. CB45 is letting me borrow his backup. It's a Trubore and as soon as I get the timing worked out (shooting the piss out of it) I'll be good to go.

With the wife laid off and the shooting dojo coming, I kinda knew that the actual shooting would take a back seat somewhat this summer to conserve funds. The last thing I expected was a broken blaster!! But, I should know by now that the shooting community is generous and the friends I've made are top notch.

I got CB45's backup blaster, a bone stock Trubore. I have shot about 200 rounds the last couple evenings. It is different. They timing is way off for me. I find I'm looking for the dot and it's not there. It's either clear out of the top or clear out of the bottom of the lense.

First night was just some paper reload plate type stuff. I noticed I was just not in tune with it. Tonight was four targets spaced out to 17 yards. I really had to let vision take over to shoot and grip more firm (I know, this should be the norm). I guess I got use to a more tuned custom gun and it took me awhile to figure out that I was having a timing issue with this bone stock Trubore. I think I got this sorted out tonight, but I'm going to hit it again tomorrow and possibly Saturday.

CB45 is one heck of a good friend and I just wanted everyone to know how blessed I am to have a friend like this. Seems to be the norm among true shooters, as I've had so many offers from different folks to use their rigs or guns. I appreciate all those offers, even for the revolvers, ........some guys are truly funny, but my heart is Open and probably will be for a long time!!!!!!

Shot again tonight, still working on the timing, but how far down the rabbit hole do I want to go? Does timing follow vision or does vision dictate timing? Which, after thousands of rounds on the same platform means, maybe your mind starts looking for the pic you have seen a thousand times, before it's actually there? This could explain why I was like........hmmm, damn dot is off the lense, Hmmmmmm, why ain't the dot centered, I'm ready to pull the trigger again.......... After some thinking I believe we must consider that our bodies probably adjusted to the timing we established with the previous gun. On some level anyway.

STILL, It still all comes down to VISION. So I decided to SEE and let the weird feeling of "timing" sort itself out. Tonight, after a couple rounds, I let my SEEING dictate everything and the Trubore started feeling pretty good. Tons better than last night. I didn't have any real speed increases, but I did show more consistency across the same drill that I worked last night.

If my thinking is correct, timing and vision are closely linked. I think switching out platforms every once in awhile will help your VISION and SHOT CALLING because it forces you to pay attention and focus. Not rely on some timing that you've built into your subconscious after thousands of rounds on a single platform.

Does this mean I'm gonna switch out of Open?

I think too much.....

Tonight was great!!!!

Edited by Chris iliff

Couple Steps forward, one step back. Practice was...... Nothing felt right, I was rushing, didn't SEE all that well and generally had a tuff time of it.

On a positive note, smoked some draws at 7 yards right at 1 sec. I know that's not stellar, but for no more practice than I've had with all my gun problems, I'll take it.

My hearing is so bad that I can't hear the beep with the timer on my belt. I've taken to sitting it on a barrel next to me. I can hear it this way most of the time, but not perfect, plus this method kinda makes it hard to get settled before the beep. I'm pretty sure I give up a tick or two compared to an RO holding it next to my head. Over all I'm getting tuned in and feel like I could shoot Chads Trubore as good as my own in a couple more sessions.

Loaded up a couple hundred rounds.

STI told me the 19th on my new slide, still haven't seen it. I'll call them tomorrow.

Edited by Chris iliff

DRYFIRED tonight!!!

T/D is getting better, I'm right at 1 sec and can go lower yet, fairly easy. Also did some eye snapping work across three targets and was grooving it. I decided DRYFIRE tonight because it allowed me to focus a little more on hearing the beep (I don't plug) and get off right at the start of the B, in beep, if ya know what I'm talkin about.

Also, I did something amazing tonight. I cleaned a gun!!! Truly remarkable what's inside a Trubore, hmmmmmmm go figure!!! It's the least I could do for Chad since it is his gun and I'm borrowing it. Anyway, it's been cleaned and oiled (Mobil 1), plus I polished a little on the Cmore mount where the brass is dinging it on the way out. Hopefully this will help alleviate the 2 jams I've experienced in about 400 rounds. This gun has been a work in progress to get running 100% and I knew this going in. I think Chad has gotten most of the bugs worked out. I need to put it through a match or 2 hiccup free. Nothing would please me more than to help Chad iron out all the kinks.

Loaded another 200 rounds tonight.

Emailed STI today, then re read their first email reply telling me the 19th. I was stunned when i realized they were telling me 07/19, not 06/19. I still got more than 3 weeks, yikes!!!!

Oh, and WOW, Front Sight looks great, kudos to headquarters!!!!

Edited by Chris iliff

Clean guns don't run!

-rvb

I have such a hard time convincing shooters, but it's true I tell ya!! True!!!

I thnk its become a real superstition with me. I cant bring myself to carry or compete with a gun that's just been cleaned anymore, I cant trust it! I swear every unexplained malfunction I've ever seen (ie not caused by a bad/broken part) has been within the first 50-100 rounds after cleaning! They don't need cleaned, just oiled! :)

-rvb

EIS training yesterday.

Went great, wet and muddy, but great. It's great to have a GM over and pick his brains. I didn't shoot as much as I normally would because I was not a paying student. Mr. Keen covered the basics quickly and we all shot some groups and happy to say I had pretty decent groups at 15 or so yards clustered around a paster fairly tight.

Next up a simple movement drill and everything was covered. Gun up, entry, exits, markers, it was a good "mirror" type stage/drill that we could run two different ways, so all movement was covered. It was interesting with the mud and sloppy conditions to say the least. I ran it once each way and nothing stellar, but I didn't push. I had some fairly crappy shoes on and didn't want to end up on my keester.

Biggest improvement here came from the newest competitor Jerry. His times dropped dramatically and his hits got better.

This was the meat of the class, considerable time was spent covering this and all aspects associated. This is USPSA nuts and bolts and what I've come to really like about EIS training with Keen. It almost too much info, but Chris explains everything that goes on in his head from "Make Ready" to "ULASC". Just good stuff. Stuff some of us take years to sort out, EIS sorts out and explains in one class.

Next we did some transition work on some fairly wide spaced target at 7yards and worked on T/D and eye snapping. I didn't run this much, as I was not a paying student, and again, everyone showed improvement. For fun and extra refinement, we added 8" plates about a yard back between the targets. This for me was fun. Completely changed the drill up and demonstrated different trigger presses required for different targets.

Last we set up a common barricade and Mr. Keen went over all the aspects of shooting from a barricade. Body position, foot position, different hand positions that might be required. It was all good info and I learned a few things.

All in all another great training day with EIS and head instructor GM Chris Keen. If anyone in wants some great one on one with a great GM and lives close to Peru, IN., 46970, PM me and I can help set it up with Chris Keen. Otherwise, just PM Chris Keen, here on the forums, you won't regret it.

Edited by Chris iliff

Shot a little today and did some DRYFIRE tonight. I am so blessed to have Chad as a friend and his Trubore Open gun. I was thinking today that a simple Trubore makes a damn nice back up gun.

Not much ado with my livefire practice today. Didn't groove on anything and kinda felt out of it, hence the DRYFIRE tonight. DRYFIRE started to feel good after 10 min. I did not pull the trigger. With this Trubore, my hand is not always deactivating the grip safety and the trigger is a short curved, whereas my gun is a long flat. It's these minor differences between it and my Gans thats gonna take a little more time to groove. Im good with that. I plan to shoot Friday and Saturday and Then Sunday go to my first match in awhile at SCGC. It's been so long since I shot a match, geez.

Shot with Dan and Chad at ACC today for a little practice. It was a great session. Worked on Hard stuff like 17 yard partials and 6 inch plates at 15 or so yards. Did a Bill drill to start the day and dropped 2 at 2.2sec, definitely not my best. Then got to watch Chad go to 1.88 completely cold with 1or 2 just out of the A zone. Damn kid, I'm seriously thinking about un friending him, lol. But heck, I'm shooting his gun!!!

Did some movement drills and they wore me out! We changed it up frequently, but kept it difficult with partials at 17 yards and 6" plates at 12-15 yards. Frankly, I am out of "stage type" practice, what with not shooting a match since May. I finally started to feel good towards the end, turning in my best runs of the day on the last couple little drills.

I liked what we did, I understand now how Chad has gone from a U to a very high B in a year and a half. No doubt that he will either make A next update, or SKIP to Master. He structures his practices to be very difficult and changes them up frequently so as not to confuse gains made through repetition, vs actual gains.

At some point in the not so distant future, Chad is going to be the best in Indiana. I have no doubt about this. In fact I heard him say it is a goal. Right now, I just don't know of anyone who is this dedicated and is practicing like Chad is practicing. I smile because I feel privileged to have helped and witnessed his progression. Unless the kid gets tied down with a wife and family, I imagine within another year or two he will be a major obstacle for Open shooters everywhere.

Plus, he has what I like to call the secret ingredient,................................YOUTH!!

Finally found Stoeger's podcasts. Very good stuff, Mr. Stoeger does not goof around, gets right into the questions and gives great informative answers. I really like them and will be listening to them moving forward.

Did not shoot today, thought I was going to go, but it didn't work out. Maybe I will shoot next weekend at Warsaw, that would be nice.

Ben has me thinking, so this week I'm going to find out some shooting and movement things. How far and what types of targets basically.

Actually, I have been thinking this since we touched on it in EIS training with Chris Keen. Got to know YOU, first and foremost.

Edited by Chris iliff

Couple pics of my range after a huge storm went through.

0DCD6A0C-CC50-4EDC-B6D3-63E157AD987E-617

This next one is my plate machine. It was sitting next to a huge tree that fell over.

6A0D24E5-E319-45BC-B70E-D20D90C731BF-617

Here is a pic from a distance.

D275B452-1916-42D0-A900-62DA6A26BA16-617

Here are my two youngest next to the fallen tree.

9659896F-7146-4552-ACA9-1930AA2607CF-617

Soooo, this just sucks. In first pic you can see the plate machine and fallen tree in the background. I'm gonna have to get a huge chainsaw to cut that sucker up.

Edited by Chris iliff

HEY!!!!!! Now you have a nice, wide open range, and you didn't have pay anybody to take that sucker down for you! Even tore out the stump, roots, and all!!!! LOL

AWESOME!!!!! :cheers:

Well, just goes to prove that GM's are a positive lot!!!!!!! Lol.

It was a tree I planned in removing, so there you go.

Did a little range work today. Awesome that the root ball settled back in place...... pretty much anyway.

8806CE0A-2A8A-4498-9CE4-64E1E7A2627E-733

I rolled most of them to the back of the range, I'm guessing they weigh about 250-300 pounds or more each!!

D15BDAF8-68A8-4591-A753-B96604070749-733

I imagine it will settle more, but right now it's about a foot and a half high.

Couple more pics.....poor plate machine

C78C5CC1-04D0-447D-9B19-E4E1E95C8E1A-733

Another nice shot.....

D275B452-1916-42D0-A900-62DA6A26BA16-617

Edited by Chris iliff