Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Pistons - FN SLP - Has It Happened To You?

jnewell

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we make them out of steel not aluminum, but please refer to my website on the dealer forum

I looked but no joy. Could you provide the specific link to the item?

I do not want to break the rules of this forum, but we do have them, we just have not posted them for sale yet. but we have bins of them. I will get some pictures of them up tonight.

We made them for Bobby Fowler, if you don't know who he is, do a google search, but he was breaking them in practice so we made these for him. so when he gets a Winchester, we just send him one of the steel ones. He can't break those. lol

Edited by Sean Gaines

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I won the lottery:

crackedspring2.jpg

The spring is broken. I picked this SX2 up off Gun Broker a few weeks ago for $450. It won't cycle with 1 1/8 oz, 1200 fps loads. If I bump it up to 1250 fps, or 1300 fps, it'll work. The slugs and buck I've run through it have worked well too. If the gun is hot, the 1200 fps stuff will work.

Just to follow up on this, I received a new piston from Winchester, free of charge, about 10 days after I mailed mine out. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is the picture of the steel piston, I need to do some tests, and shoot thousands of rounds through it, and try to break it, ah hell, I have to go shoot. Oh well I will keep you informed on it. This is the same type of piston that we gave to Bobby Fowler for his Browning shotguns, because he was going through pistons all the time. Now he can't break them. This piston will be made for the FN SLP and Winchester SX3 and some other semi's to be named later, and will not be offered for sale until this test period is over with. But here is a picture of it.

post-6635-048363000 1284656289_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sean Gaines

• 3 months later...

Here is the picture of the steel piston, I need to do some tests, and shoot thousands of rounds through it, and try to break it, ah hell, I have to go shoot. Oh well I will keep you informed on it. This is the same type of piston that we gave to Bobby Fowler for his Browning shotguns, because he was going through pistons all the time. Now he can't break them. This piston will be made for the FN SLP and Winchester SX3 and some other semi's to be named later, and will not be offered for sale until this test period is over with. But here is a picture of it.

Your keeping us in suspense. What is the result? failure?

Your keeping us in suspense. What is the result? failure?

Since this post we have skeletonized the piston down quite a bit, pictures comming soon! and we are real close to introducing to the public. thanks for bringing this thread back up, it won't be long....

• 7 months later...

I know this is dated but if the pistons are breaking, doesn't that mean that the spring broke? If that's the case, what does it matter if the body is made of aluminum or steel if it's not the body that's breaking but the spring?

I know this is dated but if the pistons are breaking, doesn't that mean that the spring broke? If that's the case, what does it matter if the body is made of aluminum or steel if it's not the body that's breaking but the spring?

Would also like to know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just wanted to say Power Factor Shooting is a stand up operation. Called him today with a piston problem on the SLP and he made sure I was point in the right dirrection for the solution. Just wanted to say thanks to Power Factor Shooting and he is good to go if you need anything.

Edited by 1911 S.I.S.sy

I broke a piston spring in my light piston and never shot anything heavy out of it. Maybe 500 rounds of Walmart Federals and 100 Remington Reduced Recoil slugs. FNH replaced it quickly. When I called they knew exactly what I was talking about so it must not be terribly rare.

• 2 weeks later...

Add me to the list with a broken piston spring. Broke in the middle of the long shotgun stage at FB3G this weekend. Fortunetly I had a second piston but ruined the stage. It was the one rated for the heavier shot. I guess I need to find the spring from Brownells and order the piston from Sean @ Power Factor.

Add me to the list with a broken piston spring. Broke in the middle of the long shotgun stage at FB3G this weekend. Fortunetly I had a second piston but ruined the stage. It was the one rated for the heavier shot. I guess I need to find the spring from Brownells and order the piston from Sean @ Power Factor.

So how does the new piston body save the spring from breaking?

The springs and the pistons both break, and usually when you don't want them to.

I see you have the stainless steel pistons on your website. I'm assuming that solves the problem of the broken piston but not the broken spring?

What does a guy need to buy to ensure his spring and piston won't break?

Thanks

ETA, Does someone sell a SS piston that is complete and sealed?

Edited by BillD

• 2 weeks later...

My first post here

I have been shooting the Browning Gold based shotguns(Gold, Silver, Maxus and the SX2/3 series) for numerous years duck hunting in the most abysmal conditions with heavy loads and haven't suffered a broken piston spring yet. I recently bought my second SLP and plan on having the heavy piston sealed just to eliminate the need for swapping out the pistons.

The springs and the pistons both break, and usually when you don't want them to.

I see you have the stainless steel pistons on your website. I'm assuming that solves the problem of the broken piston but not the broken spring?

What does a guy need to buy to ensure his spring and piston won't break?

Thanks

ETA, Does someone sell a SS piston that is complete and sealed?

I just sent in my stock heavy piston with the broken spring to SRM Performance to have it "sealed and repaired". They say it will shoot everything except extremely light skeet loads. Should have it back in a few days and will let all know how it works.

gerritm

E-mailed them and they responded right away. We talked via several e-mails to answer questions that I had on how this worked and what the cost was. They called me the day it arrived with the total including shipping. Very prompt. Maybe try calling them.

gerritm

E-mailed them and they responded right away. We talked via several e-mails to answer questions that I had on how this worked and what the cost was. They called me the day it arrived with the total including shipping. Very prompt. Maybe try calling them.

gerritm

any detriment in the long run running one of these solid pistons? why did the factory not make it that way?