Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Much Money?

I know it's not proper to ask someone how much they make, so without being specific, I'm just curious roughly what a professional shooter makes (ie Burkett, TGO, Jarrett, etc.), seems all of these guys at least do professional training, and Burkett has a website, as does our host. So sounds like you can't make much money just shooting, I'm just curious, do these guys make a comfortable living by doing all these shooting related activities? What would happen if you could only make money by winning matches?

I think that many of the big guys shoot big matches as advertising for their real businesses (training or products) and to satisfy their sponsors which cover their travel and equipment expenses. I really don't think that many do better than survive on their shooting.

Leo

Yeah, we've done the math before.. Assume there are 15 "money matches" each year (there aren't), Assume they each pay the winner $2000 each (they don't), Assume the sponsor picks up the travel, entry fees, food, hotel and ammo (they don't), assume you win each and every one of them (you won't), you'd end up making $30,000 for the year.

As with any of the non-mainstream sports, if you can't sell yourself to the sponsors, you won't be around for very long. Even if you have your own school, you need to win matchers to help promote it, and you will almost certainly need sponsor support to shoot the number of matches needed to promote yourself properly. Hell, if it was easy we would all do it.

To the best of my knowledge, Leatham and Jarrett are employed by Springfield and Para, respectively. I assume that this salary is the lion's share of their income. Since their position is mostly one of marketing, how much does a company of that size pay their marketing staff? Trust me, it's nothing like Tiger Woods' or Michael Schumacher's income...

--Detlef

IIRC, it was a big deal many years ago (back when sponsors fell out of trees onto unsuspecting B-shooters) when Springfield signed TGO to a "1 Million dollar contract".. of course that was over 10 years. Which, depending on how you account for it could be anywhere from ~$50K/year to ~$100K/year.

Not bad cash, but there is only one TGO.

All those pro shooters are rolling in dough, with vacation houses in Aspen and the Virgin Islands, and French maids complete with little white aprons. I spend too much time wishing I was good enough to go pro to think otherwise. Let's lock this thread before my illusions are destroyed.

They make most of their money teaching classes all around the u.s. all year. They live out of a suitcase most of the time. Todd say's he teaches about 40 classes a year @ 395.00 a student for about 15-20 people a weekend.

Wow! That's actually very good money. At the low end of your range, that comes out to $237k/year!

Even if it was $237K/yr (I doubt that it's even half that), I wouldn't take the job. There's nothing I really enjoyed about living on the road. That money will never buy back the time lost with family and friends - and it doesn't buy you a new relationship to replace the one you lost because you were gone all the time.