Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there an alternative for Hornady OneShot

TMC

I was wondering if there is some household product that will work the same, something I can get a Wal-Mart or OSH and not have to mail order. Has anybody tried household or auto spray waxes? OneShot is a wax right?

I just started using a few caps of Armor-All liquid car wax as a polish. Haven't loaded any so no critique yet. Our member "Aircooled6racer" has been using a similar product for a good while. May want to shoot him a PM. Wouldn't use it for anything but pistol cases though.

For a year I used Ace Hardware brand pure silicone spray. It works almost as good as one shot. I started using one shot after experimenting with a U die. The silicone was not quite cutting it with the u die and one shot was better.

I use the silicone and one shot the same way. I spray a light film on the inside of a one gallon ziploc freezer bag then dump a few hundred 9mm cases in and shake and knead the bag for about 10-15 seconds.

Never experienced any ill effects from using silicone in 10k rounds loaded.

Lanolin. I tried it and did not like it. Too greasy feeling for me and not as good a lube as silicone.

Check your local gunshops. I found one that carries one shot. :cheers:

Lanolin, done properly, works better than One Shot and leaves zero film or grease. Most folks try it and use about 100% too much, then 50% too much. Pure, unscented lanolin can be purchased at most any drug store (may have to ask the pharmacist) and a dab 1/3 to 1/2 the size of a pencil eraser will do a couple hundred cases. Put 2-400 cases in a box, work that little dab of lanolin all over your hands (it softens from the heat of your skin) and then simply run your hands through the cases grabbing handfuls of cases at a time....just sort of sift and scoop (no need to touch every case). After that, load 'em up and you'll see what a difference it makes without having to clean the loaded rounds. A side benefit is the skin on your hands will benefit as well! R,

I'm not sure how the OneShot is made up, but I make my own copy of Dillon's case lube and it works great. Go to the drugstore and get two 16oz bottles of 90% Isopropyl Alcohol ($2). Then go to Whole Foods and get a 4oz bottle of pure liquid lanolin($9). Mix the 32oz of alcohol with the 4oz of lanolin and shake. I put my mix back in my original Dillon bottle and use it just like I used the Dillon stuff. Make sure you give the bottle a little shake before you use it. For about $12 you will have 36oz of case lube and it will probably last me about 5 years.

If you can find 100% Isopropyl Alcohol the lanolin will dissolve completely and you won't need to shake the bottle before use. I believe your Pharmacist should be able to order you 100% Isopropyl Alcohol. G-Man is right that you can get the Pharmacist to order your lanolin as well. Last time I checked 32oz of lanolin from drugstore was about $20.

Liquid lanolin I get from Whole Foods is the same as in this link.

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Health-Liquid-Lanolin-Emollient/dp/B0014AWF0S

Lanolin, done properly, works better than One Shot and leaves zero film or grease. Most folks try it and use about 100% too much, then 50% too much. Pure, unscented lanolin can be purchased at most any drug store (may have to ask the pharmacist) and a dab 1/3 to 1/2 the size of a pencil eraser will do a couple hundred cases. Put 2-400 cases in a box, work that little dab of lanolin all over your hands (it softens from the heat of your skin) and then simply run your hands through the cases grabbing handfuls of cases at a time....just sort of sift and scoop (no need to touch every case). After that, load 'em up and you'll see what a difference it makes without having to clean the loaded rounds. A side benefit is the skin on your hands will benefit as well! R,

Hmmm...good stuff Bart. I thought the only way to use lanolin was the mixing, stirring, melting, and spraying mess Ive seen described elsewhere.

Definitely worth the try.

Hmmm...good stuff Bart. I thought the only way to use lanolin was the mixing, stirring, melting, and spraying mess Ive seen described elsewhere.

I was told to mix with rubbing alcohol, a capful or two in a 12 oz bottle ??

I was told to mix with rubbing alcohol, a capful or two in a 12 oz bottle ??

I've never done it that way, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work. I think the first two tries I used too much, but got it sorted out by the third. I think I stole the general idea from an older Layne Simpson article...can't recall exactly, but it works like a champ. R,

Get your cases REALLY clean and throw the lube away. Straight-walled cases just don't benefit enough, and though 9mm does, it's not worth bothering.

Just my $.02

I dunno. I've cleaned and polished 9mm brass until it looks factory shiny/clean or better and in my opinion lube is a big benefit especially if you use the EGW/Lee "U" die. It's not impossible with good Redding titanium carbide dies but it sure makes the press run easier, at least with a progressive. If you are using a single stage it might not make quite the difference but I use a Hornady and two step my resizing with the Redding titanium die then the "U" die and there's a big difference in how much easier lubed cases make the press to operate. One Shot might not be the cheapest stuff in the world but it's sure worth it to me for the ease of use and how it makes the press easier to operate.

Thanks for the info, I'll try the lanolin or just order a case of OneShot.

I was really hoping somebody would say, "sure use xx brand xxxxx, you can get a 16.oz can for 1.99 anywhere and is just as good". Sort of like using Mobile 1 at $4.99 a quart for gun oil rather than Wizbang lube at $7.99 for a 2 ounce tube.

Get your cases REALLY clean and throw the lube away. Straight-walled cases just don't benefit enough, and though 9mm does, it's not worth bothering.

Just my $.02

I dunno. I've cleaned and polished 9mm brass until it looks factory shiny/clean or better and in my opinion lube is a big benefit especially if you use the EGW/Lee "U" die. It's not impossible with good Redding titanium carbide dies but it sure makes the press run easier, at least with a progressive. If you are using a single stage it might not make quite the difference but I use a Hornady and two step my resizing with the Redding titanium die then the "U" die and there's a big difference in how much easier lubed cases make the press to operate. One Shot might not be the cheapest stuff in the world but it's sure worth it to me for the ease of use and how it makes the press easier to operate.

Oh it makes a difference in 9mm, because it's tapered rather than straight-walled. But IMHO it's not worth the effort and the possible loss of neck tension. I proved (to myself, anyway) that One Shot inside the neck can reduce effective neck tension dramatically, which is the main reason I've sworn it off forever.

Also the U die always makes a press more difficult to operate, lube or no, because not only does it increase sizing effort, it makes it harder to pull the case off the expander.

I was really hoping somebody would say, "sure use xx brand xxxxx, you can get a 16.oz can for 1.99 anywhere and is just as good". Sort of like using Mobile 1 at $4.99 a quart for gun oil rather than Wizbang lube at $7.99 for a 2 ounce tube.

See post #4. The can is three times the size of one shot and costs around 5 bucks.

See post #4. The can is three times the size of one shot and costs around 5 bucks.

Thanks Sarge, I guess I ran right over the part were it worked with a standard die.