.40 split to second T1 shot at 0.40

3.0 second RWR load, firing first T2 shot at 3.40

.40 split firing second T2 shot at 3.80

Case B: SL Reload after first shot on T2

Time 0.00 is when I shoot the first T1 shot

.70 transition to T2, firing first shot T2 shot at 1.10

2.0 second SL reload, firing second shot at T2 at 3.10

Case B wins by .7 seconds. This matches some practice tests I've done, I can't seem to get the RWR to beat SL except on rare occasion.

Edited by Steve Koski

Nobody else will say it, so I will. You are bound to need a makeup shot before you get to the point to reload. Manage your ammo. :devil: Do a really fast slide lock reload and reengage the target because it is consistently faster.

Gamer!!! hehehe :ph34r::roflol:

The reason no one else will say it is because whenever this topic arises it swiftly turns into conflict and the thread gets closed. "Gamer." "Cheater." Blah, blah, etc., blah. Let's not do that this time. I don't like having to close threads.

So, sticking with the original topic of "slidelock reload on the same target, or tac-load between targets" (we might amend that to RWR instead of tac-load - does anyone still do a tac-load anymore?), we continue on....

SLM,

Yes, I should have said transition.

Fire two at T1, two at T2

Case A: RWR after shooting T1

Time 0.00 is when I shoot the first shot at T1

3.0 second RWR load, firing first T2 shot at 3.40

.40 split firing second T2 shot at 3.80

Case B: SL Reload after first shot on T2

Time 0.00 is when I shoot the first T1 shot

.70 transition to T2, firing first shot T2 shot at 1.10

2.0 second SL reload, firing second shot at T2 at 3.10

Case B wins by .7 seconds. This matches some practice tests I've done, I can't seem to get the RWR to beat SL except on rare occasion.

That comes back to knowing your own limitations... I've got the RWR down to 2.0, so all else being the same, Case A wins, of course, I have the SL reload down to 1.5, so maybe it's a draw... have to give this a try next week during my practice session. (If it's not raining. :-( )

You know, that might make a good COF for a local match... give people a chance to compare themselves to how they do different reloads, maybe even make it a 3 string COF and add the Tac-load in there.

Generally I stick to slide lock reloads in IDPA except when moving behind cover and, of course, before engaging an activator of a dissapearing target if I don't have enough rounds.

However, the Sheriff has brought up something I hadn't considered about the extra time needed to reaquire the target. I will have to test this out.

It really depends on the stage which one I chose. Several factors can go into this decision. Target location, body position, cover location. This is one of the things that I go over in my head when I analyze a stage.

The time to perform a reload INCLUDES the time to acquire or re-acquire the target.

Transition times include the time to move to the next target.

Don't get tricked into thinking there's something that isn't being accounted for.

You know, that might make a good COF for a local match... give people a chance to compare themselves to how they do different reloads, maybe even make it a 3 string COF and add the Tac-load in there.

We had a stage something like that, at a local match. One target, all shots from Box A. First string was engage w/one, perform TR, engage with one. Second string was engage, RWR, engage. Third string was load one; engage, perform SLR, engage with one. So, it was strictly a reloading drill, as opposed to determining if/when a specific reload was an advantage. Of course, draw times and acquisition times figured into it, but the string times were not 2.4 seconds compared to 2.3 seconds compared to 2.2 seconds, but more like seven seconds, six seconds, four seconds; the string times were much longer than most people expected.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread! We're going to have to try one of those two suggested drills at a practice some time. Our club is just restarting a semi-dormant IDPA program, so we have a lot of new to the sport shooters and shooters from other action pistol sports trying it. The RWR is the boogeyman in the closet to a lot of folks. So I'm trying to find examples and cases when it might be a benefit to use it even when it's not called for in the CoF, which I know from experience is a bad thing to require.

I did not intend to cause grief in this thread, but I am a gamer, because it is a game. Most of the people commenting are my friends and I know there is no hurtful intent. :wub:

I will almost always opt for a slide lock reload if given a choice. There are too many steps in a RWR, and this leads to it not being as reliable as a slide lock reload. Also, if you are reloading while moving behind cover, then you are not moving as fast or hitting your mark at the edge of cover as precisely. This can often lead to a COVER call, ask me how I know.

If you are properly using cover, you don't need to move to do your reload, so you are indexed on the target when your reload is complete. If you keep the gun up in front of your face, then you minimize the time needed to reaquire your sight picture.

Most everyone in your division will be doing the same thing, so know your strengths and depend on those strengths.

I hope you find the correct answer for you.

Bill