Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different factory ammo for pattern control?

Merlin Orr

I have run an IC choke in my Benelli (3 Gun use only ) since the day I bought it. Occasionally I run into various targets - usually small steel targets - at just the perimeter of the IC chokes effectiveness. My shotgun oracle (Benny) has a Light Modified he very occasionally uses on longer targets and, of course, I now have one too where I can "Be like Benny." But...as I am the epitome of laziness, I want to do it differently - I hate changing chokes

My question is... Are factory loads made/commonly available that will change the pattern of a gun with an improved cylinder to something approximating a pattern from a Light Modified...?

On some very close targets I use spreader loads to get a broader pattern and it seems to work very well. Just wondering if the opposite effect can be achieved with a commonly available shot shell....?

As a further requirement the shell has to be a 1 1/8 x 2 3/4 dram load or equivalent. (I want my Benelli to run 100%)

The answer to an extent is yes, different factory loadings may pattern a little differently from gun to gun, although I am unaware of anything specifically designed to pattern tightly through an IC gun.

The kicker is I can't imagine that the work that will go into testing and finding the loading that will not only run well in your gun but make up the pattern deficiency would be easier than twisting the choke tubes in and out. Buy a nice set of Briley's (or anything with the extended knurling) and changing chokes is a piece of cake. Not to mention you will most likely be quite a few sheckels ahead of the game.

You probably CAN find a choke, LM, M, that will pattern your slugs well and then use different loads to OPEN up the pattern if you want. But tightening up a C or IC, don't think so, at least economically. Those duplex loads are like $1/round now. As many of the MDs in 3 gun seem to be going towards shotgun sniper target presentations, tighter chokes and patterns are looking better all the time...guess I can't call it a scattergun anymore. :surprise:

I have run an IC choke in my Benelli (3 Gun use only ) since the day I bought it. Occasionally I run into various targets - usually small steel targets - at just the perimeter of the IC chokes effectiveness. My shotgun oracle (Benny) has a Light Modified he very occasionally uses on longer targets and, of course, I now have one too where I can "Be like Benny." But...as I am the epitome of laziness, I want to do it differently - I hate changing chokes

My question is... Are factory loads made/commonly available that will change the pattern of a gun with an improved cylinder to something approximating a pattern from a Light Modified...?

On some very close targets I use spreader loads to get a broader pattern and it seems to work very well. Just wondering if the opposite effect can be achieved with a commonly available shot shell....?

As a further requirement the shell has to be a 1 1/8 x 2 3/4 dram load or equivalent. (I want my Benelli to run 100%)

there is a company that makes a diffusion rifled choke which will kill anything inside of 30yds. The concept behind the diffusion rifled choke is for it to open quickly and stay in a consistent twisting pattern with about a 2-3ft diameter for about 30 or so yds than it starts to open up. Instead of a straight IC choke which makes a fan pattern as soon as it leaves the barrel. For tougher plates you probably will have to goto a tighter constriction to concentrate more of the hot zone on the plate. chokes can be your friend, everyone seems to think I will just use an IC and I will be good, that like saying I will use a driver for all shots in golf. Don't get me wrong you can probably use 3 chokes and pretty much accomplish everything you would need to do in 3 gun. but the difusion rifled is an excellent choke to consider.

there is a company that makes a diffusion rifled choke which will kill anything inside of 30yds. The concept behind the diffusion rifled choke is for it to open quickly and stay in a consistent twisting pattern with about a 2-3ft diameter for about 30 or so yds than it starts to open up. Instead of a straight IC choke which makes a fan pattern as soon as it leaves the barrel. For tougher plates you probably will have to goto a tighter constriction to concentrate more of the hot zone on the plate. chokes can be your friend, everyone seems to think I will just use an IC and I will be good, that like saying I will use a driver for all shots in golf. Don't get me wrong you can probably use 3 chokes and pretty much accomplish everything you would need to do in 3 gun. but the difusion rifled is an excellent choke to consider.

This won't work with no shoots that are becoming popular. Buffered shot is supposed to stay tighter, it's normally in heavy loads for waterfowl. This kind of defeats the light loads for fast shooting.

Buying different shot sizes will work but changing chokes is the sure way to do it.

If you want to keep your lazy ways, I have a compromise solution.

Buy a speed choke tube wrench. Very quick, minimal effort.

It will be cheaper and less of a brain drain than carrying 12 different brands & sizes of shot loads to a match.

What happens when you mix things up and end up with 12 #8.5 spreaders and 8 #5 loads and you have 15 long range steel to knock down?

You already have enough to haul around in 3-gun. Minimize & simplify. Buy three chokes, pick a couple of loads, know your patterns.

You should easily gain some choke percentage by switching shells. Since it's hard to find cheap 1 1/8oz. loads that aren't 3 Dr.Eq., I'll say compare those to a Remington STS trap load in 7 1/2 shot. The quality trap load with the hard shot usually throws a tighter pattern, and the slower the better.