Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4osw recoil

My recipe for low recoil is heavy bullets and fast powder. For 40 minor loads I use 180 gr bullets with AA#2. When it begins to warm up I switch to N320 or Solo 1000. For 40 Major loads I use either Solo 1000 or N320 with 180 gr bullets. If you want a really soft shooting 40 Major load and aren't adverse to shooting lead, try the 220 gr bullets from S and S Casting and Clays.

Heavy bullets and fast powder (like Titegroup, N320, Solo 100, etc). Unique is slower and will give you more recoil while probably being dirty. I don't know the last time my Limited gun was cleaned...N320 with jacketed bullets means it gets only a slight grey coating of film in hundreds or thousands of rounds. R,

I just switched from heavier to lighter bullets.

Heavier bullets gave me more of a "push". More comfortable to shoot but it took longer to get back on track for second shot.

Lighter bullets now give a more snappy recoil, but the sights come back on target more quickly.

What your mama didn't tell you about recoil. There are a number of things you need to be aware of that affect recoil.

1. weight of the gun a nice heavy gun absorbs recoil.

2. Recoil spring, called that because? Ok Einstien said it an equal and opsite reaction but to slow down the slide comes the recoil spring. Heavier spring slows it down more, the trade off is a little more flip during the first part of slide movement.

3. Powder - An explsion directed in one direction causes recoil. So if you can use less powder for your purpose then you can get less of an explosion. This is why heavier bullets are better and faster powder because you use a lot less of it.

Putting it all together. A good faster powder like N320 and I like it a lot and a nice heavy but easy to push bullet. If you have an STI/SVI or similar then I would recommend either BayouBullets (180gr may not go 100,000 rounds between cleaning) or Precision 185gr Moly. With jacketed bullet 5.0 gr of N320 to make 170pf with a BayouBullet 180 or Precision it will take 4.5gr of N320 to make the same pf. Once you achieve the load you like then its a matter of tuning the system to the load a little by trying different recoil springs between 11 and 14# and figuring out which one works best for you.

If you are stuck on jacketed then a 200gr Zero with 4.3gr of TiteGroup.

I'm OCD I clean all my guns before every match, which includes tightening the grip screws and C-More screws etc. In my open gun I clean the barrel by shooting bullets thru it. My limited gun with Bayou Bullets same thing, with Precision bullets I use a little JB Bore paste.

Here is one for G-man, I ran out of SlideGlide, and out of Ultimate Gun Grease, so I just used a little of Richard Petty's favorite thing STP Oil Treatment. That be some slick stuff, will have to see what happens in the match.

Ok Einstien said it an equal and opsite reaction but to slow down the slide comes the recoil spring.

Newton's Third Law, not Einstein.

Everything else, I totally agree with.

:cheers:

My attorney advised me not to shoot reloads in my CCW. He said he did a case where a home owner used reloads and the Victim's family's lawyer argued that he intentionally loaded these to kill the poor guy that was doing home invasions and rapeing 80 year old women etc, you kow your typical career bad guy, packing a desert eagle. He did manage to win the case but just having to deal with the reloads added about $20,000 worth of attorney time and billing to the case.

For 40 brass I recommend the Redding GRX it works very well and it is in-expensive. Its a cure for buldged brass where a U-die just helps a little.

For personal defense use factory ammo. If the recoil of the 40SW bothers you, then practice until it doesn't or switch to a 9mm (or 45 depending on which part of the recoil bothers you). It isn't worth dicking around with reloads if your life or freedom are on the line.

for me, its 180's or 200's from bear creek, over some WST, seems to be the softest felt recoil of any ofthe powders(had a OCD friend of mine w/ waaay too much time on his hands buy a lb. of everything and load forthe .40, came back tothe original loading...WST) mind you its in a fairly heavy 2011 platform YMMV...