Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ICORE Retro division

Rather-B-Huntin

What gun and barrel length are you guys using in Retro??

Which holster and speedloaders?

686's with 4 to 6 inch barrels...some use old PPC guns. Some sort of cup style race holster or kydex...Safari land comp 3's. This is what the good retro shooters use at my local match.

Pretty much 686 as Forrest said, if you get the 4", you can also use it in IDPA, go with the 6" if you want to shoot USPSA as well, although the 4" will still work well for all 3 games, comp 3's in the triple holders seems to be the ticket

RatherB. I am not shooting retro yet but after the IRC, I have an old 686 with the hammer nose. Safariland Comp III's cut down, maybe an old jet loader lieing around here cut down also. For the Holders I am using the Fasloads by Jeff Weimholt out of Arkansas. Aand for the holster I am using the Hogue. later rdd

ETA Oh yea it is a 6 inch 686. :ph34r:

Edited by Bubber

Carmonized 4" 686. I recently swapped the JM grips for some checkered Hogues.

SW686003.jpg

I also use:

BladeTech kydex holster

Jet Loaders

ReadyTac speedloader holders

Here's a vid of a dry reload drill with this setup:

When in a more serious mode I use a 6" Mod 19 in Safariland Cup Holster(sometimes I use DOH BT) with Comp III's.

But in the spirit of things RETRO, I use my 1954 S$W Mod 15 4" with original small service grips with Tyler Grip adapter. Holstered in leather El Paso Pancake holster. Only thing that corrupts this old school rig is the comp III's . Gotta love the comp III's.

For a real challenge why not just use a Model 10 snubbie like that crazy good guy did on YouTube? Yeah he's on this forum but I can't remember his handle. That gun would be legal for all games and pretty quick to transition too I suppose.

Carmonized 4" 686. I recently swapped the JM grips for some checkered Hogues.

SW686003.jpg

I also use:

BladeTech kydex holster

Jet Loaders

ReadyTac speedloader holders

Here's a vid of a dry reload drill with this setup:

I have a use for the JM grips if you no longer want them, bring them tomorrow to the match

For a real challenge why not just use a Model 10 snubbie like that crazy good guy did on YouTube? Yeah he's on this forum but I can't remember his handle. That gun would be legal for all games and pretty quick to transition too I suppose.

Done it...great fun.

Dave

How do you "cut down" Comp III's?? I've not heard of doing this. Can someone provide me a picture or detailed description?

I picked up a nice six inch 686 dash nothing today @ LGD for a good price today. Just need to get Comp III's and holders now.

Edited by Rather-B-Huntin

While it isn't quite as retro as a 2" Model 10, I enjoy using my S&W 686, 6" barrel, with a Safariland 002 holster. Safariland Comp III loaders in a HKS triple leather holder, and a Uncle Mike's nylon belt to hold it up.

I have used my S&W Model 10, 4" barrel, with my IDPA legal holster/speedloader holders a few times too.

Retro division is a lot of fun, IMHO.

How do you "cut down" Comp III's?? I've not heard of doing this. Can someone provide me a picture or detailed description?

I picked up a nice six inch 686 dash nothing today @ LGD for a good price today. Just need to get Comp III's and holders now.

Rather B. Go to the FAQ section of the Revo Forum and Round gun shooter has it under Comp III Mods. I'll try to attach a pic. No guarantees though. later rdd

post-309-12738906793_thumb.jpg

What purpose does cutting the Comp III's down serve?

I believe that it allows greater clearance to the frame combined with less plastic checking the speed of the case rim as it is rocketed forward upon release making for a more reliable reload. I also found those stupid prongs can get hung up on the cylinder. That was my first chop...the second was when I realized that those long stabilizing holes were slowing the cases down and in some cases pulling them back out as the loader fell away. Super revo shooters feel free to chime in here...I'm a relative newbie to Retro or SSR. I very much enjoy my 625, but am learning that a model 10 snubbie has its cool points too.

What purpose does cutting the Comp III's down serve?

I believe that it allows greater clearance to the frame combined with less plastic checking the speed of the case rim as it is rocketed forward upon release making for a more reliable reload. I also found those stupid prongs can get hung up on the cylinder. That was my first chop...the second was when I realized that those long stabilizing holes were slowing the cases down and in some cases pulling them back out as the loader fell away. Super revo shooters feel free to chime in here...I'm a relative newbie to Retro or SSR. I very much enjoy my 625, but am learning that a model 10 snubbie has its cool points too.

F.H. covered the basics. One other item is that it will allow the loader to work effectively without having to be perfectly aligned and when you go to close the cylinder the loader can be swept away with the closing (Rolling) motion. later rdd