Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP2 Info

Alan Adamson

Starting point for 125 gr Zero with SP2 would be around 8.7 or so I would suspect. I normally get around a 170 PF with 9.2 or 9.3. This again with a 125 gr Zero JHP at 1.155 OAL. 9mm major of course.

Edited by cpty1

FWIW you can almost directly swap SP2 charge weights for 3n38 charge weights. Charge volume of course is much smaller with the Vectan.

Yup. I've found that you need about ~.2 more of 3n38 for about the same PF.

How much would 10lbs be?

I use autocomp to practice and its cheap.

I do have 10lbs of sp2 for my 38s EG Tanfoglio its flat on my V12.

I save it for Major matches. I would definitely be interested

but depends on price?

Edited by shooterbenedetto

Ok, if you use google Chrome as your browser, it will give you an option of translating this inline. There is reload data, contact info, powder info, etc.

http://www.nobelspor...t/fr/metal.html

Alan

ps. Bobby, if you get carried away and figure out how to get it in the US... I want some too! :)

There should be a few posts on SP2 on the forum.

I racall (when I used it) that their load data was off for me.

ALgator - who got Bobby started on this quest useds 125gr Zero JHP 9.6gr of SP2, Wolf SPP, and a 1.11OAL in a 9mm case. According to Bobby it was shooting 176pf out of Susan's sorty Open Gun, and was softer than his 40SW, which is already pretty soft.

Mark K.

ALgator - who got Bobby started on this quest useds 125gr Zero JHP 9.6gr of SP2, Wolf SPP, and a 1.11OAL in a 9mm case. According to Bobby it was shooting 176pf out of Susan's sorty Open Gun, and was softer than his 40SW, which is already pretty soft.

Mark K.

When we were doing our chrono test, Joe gave me 5 rounds of it to shoot through the chrono in Susan's Open gun. I fired the first round into a target on my left and the gun just sat there. I thought wow, that was nice. I couldn't help myself so I Max Michel'd the other 4 rounds into the 2 targets dbl tapping each target. Snake eyes into the A zone of a pair of turtle targets. I turned around and told Joe there was no way they'd make Major PF, that I doubted they were much above the Minor limit. It actually shot as soft or softer than her 9mm load with N320. So he gave me 5 more rounds that I shot through the chrono and you can imagine the surprise on my face when the 5 shot average was 176.2PF. Had it just been 1 chrono, I'd have bet you the gun it was malfunctioning. But all 3 machines agreed and it was there. It does the same PF in Joe's 5" gun with poppel holes. I have been searching relentlessly for some of the powder since then. The results of that research are in the thread linked by Flex in my dealer forum.

I was fortunate enough to score some of this powder by one of the absolute most kindest gentleman I have ever dealt with which led me to making another friend slap across the country. I began this quest to provide my wife with the best possible powder for her Open gun. I do not shoot Open, and don't plan to, but I might have commented that Saturday that loads like that made me want to. :devil: Either way, I am now deeply indebted to a gentleman that will continue to make my wife believe I AM Superman!

Hey Bobby SP2 is what Grauffel uses. Dont know if you knew that.

anyways, got his pet load, and gun set up on my V12 that has 12 holes!

shoots flat and my favorite gun. I'm definitely in for

some more of this. Got only 10lbs and want to use it for major matches ONLY.

Let me know how much and I'll definitely get it.

• 4 months later...

With MG 124JHP my first chrono session revealed that 9.0 grains produced a 170.7 PF out of my Bedell 9 open blaster. At 1.170 COL it appears to be a slightly compressed load.

Boz that would be probably right... I used Chris Pattys recipe on some trial rounds where I borrowed some SP2... 9.2 at 1.175 went 174-175PF in a 5" no holes gun... I was figuring 9.0 would do it and you basically confirmed it.

How'd they shoot compared to your regular load...

Alan

I found some SP2 at my local gun shop that had been sitting on the shelf for who knows how long. Out of my 5in 9 Major 8.8 gr with a 124gr MG CMJ at 1.170 was averaging around 1380 FPS. I think my barrel might be a little faster than most as most of my loads need less powder than others I've seen. My normal load is 7.0 gr of Autocomp. The SP2 has less dot rise, and kicks straight back a little more.

With MG 124JHP my first chrono session revealed that 9.0 grains produced a 170.7 PF out of my Bedell 9 open blaster. At 1.170 COL it appears to be a slightly compressed load.

Boz that would be probably right... I used Chris Pattys recipe on some trial rounds where I borrowed some SP2... 9.2 at 1.175 went 174-175PF in a 5" no holes gun... I was figuring 9.0 would do it and you basically confirmed it.

How'd they shoot compared to your regular load...

Alan

I only did some quick chrono work to see where I was. I've loaded a batch, maybe I'll run some Sunday and ley you know.