Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting In with Shooting USA

I was watching Sighting In on the Outdoor Channel today. The program dealt with introducing new shooters thru the CMP Program. They had an instructor that said he had been teaching for 30 years. The next segment switched to the range where the shooters were shooting at the 200 yard line. They were shooting an assortment of AR 15s, Garands and a few bolt guns may have been 03s. This was live fire as evidenced by the recoil and brass ejecting from the weapons. The majority of the shooters had NO eye protection and a few lacked hearing protection as well.

I don't know what good it will do if any but I sent an email to Shooting USA bringing this to thier attention. Who ever the instructor was certainly needs to be reprimanded about both problems. I cannot imagine the damage a ruptured case in an AR 15 would do to the shooters unprotected eyes. Doesn't anybody have common sense anymore? These are the people we are trusting to further our shooting sports. Unbelievable!!!!

On Illinoiscarry.com there was a post about a bunch of the guys meeting at the range (kids included). There were several of them shooting with no eye protection, including the kids. I let them have it. I'm not too popular over there.

• 1 month later...

I don't know how they do it. I've had a plug work loose w/my AR and had to re-position the plug before I could take another step.

I had a HP rifle coach tell me when I was a kid, if you didn't want to wear hearing pro... "That ringing sound is your hearing dying. Enjoy that tone 'cause once it stops, you'll never hear it again...."

I don't know how they do it. I've had a plug work loose w/my AR and had to re-position the plug before I could take another step.

I had a HP rifle coach tell me when I was a kid, if you didn't want to wear hearing pro... "That ringing sound is your hearing dying. Enjoy that tone 'cause once it stops, you'll never hear it again...."

Well, I have a ringing in my ears, but it ain't my hearing dying. It's called Tinitus, and I wish it would go away, die, leave me in peace etc. :lol:

• 5 months later...

Not that I agree with it but all photos in gun mags say so and so has removed his eye/ear pro for this photo op. howver they always wear it while shooting.

Thats like football players not wearing a helmet on a televised game it needs to be worn regardless of how people think it makes them look. I get a kick out of my own videos of a match where you see my huge midway headwear

• 1 month later...

Don't blame Shooting USA for the lack of glasses in Highpower. Truth is most of us (yes me included) don't wear glasses in competition. If you look at the pics from last years National Matches at Camp Perry you will be amazed at the lack of them. Most of the AMU, Marine and Reserve teams don't wear them. And trust me its not that we don't want to wear them. The positions that we shoot in makes it near impossible to get them to fit and still hold the rifles in the proper way. When we are slung in a AR, a pair of glasses will not fit between the rear sight and our face. Now with a match rifle I can get my glasses on since I can move the rear sight forward on the rail. We don't have that luxury with a service rifle.

Glasses are not a required item in NRA Highpower event. They leave that up to the individual club to enforce and most leave it to the shooter. That is the facts guys. Here is a link to pics of Sheri, the 2010 National Champ who shoots for the ARMY AMU Team.

http://picasaweb.google.com/NRAmedia/NavyCupMatchCampPerry#5504161425241036786

Your going to scream looking at them. :surprise:

Ray