Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How are the XDs holding up?

anachronism

I'm looking at buying an XD. probably a 45 ACP. Since they're a fairly recently introduced pistol, I was wondering how they're holding up for everyone, especially under heavy usage. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of information out as far as longevity. How are your high-milers holding up?

I run a junior program

I supply 2 xd9 i say 15000 rnds apiece

the only problems ever was the little roll pin on top of the slide that holds the firing pin

maybe 20 cents apiece

also you could probably triple those numbers on dry fire

I run a junior program

the only problems ever was the little roll pin on top of the slide that holds the firing pin

maybe 20 cents apiece

My only failure also. You can buy a bag of them cheap at Canyon Creek.

I have an XD in .40 That has close to 15k rounds through it and it is still going strong. The only thing I have had break on it is the plastic guide for the cocked indicator. One call to Springfield and I had one in the mail to me and on my doorstep within 5 business days.

My original XD-9 Service had close to 25K rounds through it when the block cracked. I sent it to Springfield using a UPS label they supplied and ten days later (including the New Years weekend) it was back in my hands. No charge and they went over the gun to make sure there were no other problems which there weren't. I love to buy Sprinfield guns because of their quality and their no BS life time warranty no matter if you're the first of 101st owner.

I'm looking at buying an XD. probably a 45 ACP. Since they're a fairly recently introduced pistol, I was wondering how they're holding up for everyone, especially under heavy usage. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of information out as far as longevity. How are your high-milers holding up?

the XD 45 ACP is a slightly different gun than the 9mm and 40 S&W. I have four XDs and have done trigger jobs on all of them. the 45 requires heavier springs than a 9mm or a 40 for proper reset. i have actually manufactured my own springs (trigger and sear) in an attempt to get the trigger pull below 5#, to no avail. part of the problem here is the reduced clearance in the sear area. I had to stone about 10-12 thou from the ejector to get sufficient clearance to install a Springer Precision sear without binding. the tolerances are much tighter on the 45 than the 9mm and 40. while the gun will function with lighter springs, it won't always reset consistently with them -- so i have chosen to stick with the heavier ones.

that being said, i love my 45. it shoots well and i enjoy the extra weight -- front sight doesn't bounce as much as my other XDs.

• 3 weeks later...

I run a junior program

maybe 20 cents apiece

mine also failed..had hard time getting new one in..any tips?

• 2 weeks later...

I run a junior program

maybe 20 cents apiece

mine also failed..had hard time getting new one in..any tips?

Is that the pin that is tapered?

I only have about 6,500 though mine. I'm now trying to see how long between cleanings before it starts to jam. I took a class with it last weekend and put almost 1400 though it in two days and it never jammed once. I've only had to replace the guild rod because of something I did. ($14 from Springfield Armory)

On a side note About how many rounds is the guild rod good for?

• 1 month later...

I have run about ~15k through my XDM-40. First half were factory ammo, the most recent half were minor reloads. NO problems so far. It just runs and runs and runs. I have a 14# recoil spring and some new paint on the slide and other than that, its dead stock. I love it.....