Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OK to shoot JHP's in Steel Challenge?

lucky strike

I've just started shooting steel challenge matches a couple months ago and I've been using plated bullets....recently bought a bunch of JHP's thinking I would switch to those to get better accuracy. I was talking with a competitor at the last match though and he was saying that people that use JHP are putting others in danger and basically only a jerk would do it.

Just wondering what the opinion is out there on using JHP's....i bought a bunch of 124gr Montana Gold

So FMJs don't frag when they hit steel? JHP will probably frag a little more but I don't think its that much more. I could be wrong and I use CMJs just because that is what feeds best in my 9mm 1911.

So FMJs don't frag when they hit steel? JHP will probably frag a little more but I don't think its that much more. I could be wrong and I use CMJs just because that is what feeds best in my 9mm 1911.

He was saying that you should only use lead or copper plated stuff....he said using anything with a jacket is "irresponsible and dangerous".

I was just checking to see if it would be considered "bad form" if I showed up with JHP's....i didn't think it would but I thought I'd check here since i'm a relative SC newbie

Where is this new rule posted??

This is all that is on site, maybe you are referring to a local range thingy

AMMUNITION

There will be no multiple-projectile or magnum loads allowed. All rounds must travel a

minimum of 750 FPS. Competitors whose ammunition does not make minimum velocity

will be disqualified from the match(es) where the sub-standard ammunition was used. In

the rimfire event, .22 Long Rifle ammunition must be used (no powderless cases

allowed).

The competitor is mistaken. JHPs are just fine, and are much more accurate as well. Some steel matches have a max. velocity for JHPs so the splatter is kept to a minimum, but for Powder puff SC loads JHPs are just fine. I would love to hear the guy's reason for you using JHPs as being a Jerk....sounds like he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does.... :goof:

DougC

JHP's aren't a problem... other than the price tag. ;) As long as you make the 750fps minimum, there shouldn't be an issue. If anybody in the conversation was being a jerk... ah, but I won't go there. Don't sweat it.

Never heard of a rule against JHP's. All I shoot for steel are 115gr JHP's. I know lots of other shooters that shoot JHP's as well for steel. Is it maybe a club rule that they don't want people using JHP's on steel? Do they disallow JHP's on USPSA courses of fire that contain plates and/or poppers??

it is posble to push one too fast with a light bullet. The Rem. golden saber JHP 88 gr .356 going ...FAST!

Yep a buddy kept pushing the bullet to make the comp "Feel" good put a pice in my arm and thin another guy spouted Red on the practice field the day before the main event. His bullets got banned and we ended up driving around looking for 38 super in a stange town.

Set up the crono at home later and some of the rounds bumped over 17,000 fps = I watch him closer now, Just ask to see my Scar

• 1 month later...