Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alaska vacation

I'm planning a vacation to Alaska next year. Looking for input on what you enjoyed seeing and what you thought was a waste of time. Right now I'm considering Denali Park, Mt. McKinley and Fairbanks. Ideally I'd like to see life outside of Fairbanks, like a small town off the beaten path.

Bill,

I did an Alaskan cruise a few years back. Flew into Anchorage, bused to Seward and then floated to Ketchikan, Skagway, and Juneau. Most of the people that joined us on the ship had flown into Fairbanks and then took the train (3days I believe) through Denali. They absolutley loved the train trip as it had a glass top and they stayed in a bed and breakfast during the trip. If I ever have a chance to do it again I would do it that way.

Skagway was cool, neet little town. I also really enjoyed Juneau. You have to see the Red Dog Saloon, it is a trip! Glacier Bay was pretty awesome too.

Steve

Bill,

I did an Alaskan cruise a few years back. Flew into Anchorage, bused to Seward and then floated to Ketchikan, Skagway, and Juneau. Most of the people that joined us on the ship had flown into Fairbanks and then took the train (3days I believe) through Denali. They absolutley loved the train trip as it had a glass top and they stayed in a bed and breakfast during the trip. If I ever have a chance to do it again I would do it that way.

Skagway was cool, neet little town. I also really enjoyed Juneau. You have to see the Red Dog Saloon, it is a trip! Glacier Bay was pretty awesome too.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve, I hadn't even though of a train. The more research I do the more I'm leaning towards planning the land portion myself (vice buying a canned package).

Go to Skagway and take the Whitehorse train ride up into the Yukon. It was the

highlight of our cruise a couple years ago. It is a narrow gage train that

follows the goldrush trail. Awesome views.

Tom

I've never done the tourist side of AK - but did grow up there.

Denali is amazing. Well worth the time to drop in.

Most of my experience is in the Southwest area of the state (aside from doing a bunch of Caribou hunting up near Kotzebue). If you have the opportunity Kodiak is a cool place. It's a great fishing town - you'd see much of the commercial fishing culture. And it's home to some pretty big bears. If you do go, take a day and get a float plane to take you down to one of the bear viewing programs. I'd recommend Karluk - lots of bears there.

AK is awesome. I miss it everyday. And know of few who go there that don't find something magical about it.

J

I'm planning a vacation to Alaska next year. Looking for input on what you enjoyed seeing and what you thought was a waste of time. Right now I'm considering Denali Park, Mt. McKinley and Fairbanks. Ideally I'd like to see life outside of Fairbanks, like a small town off the beaten path.

Visited Alaska about 6 years ago, and it was five days of boredom (Mostly travelling

from interested spot to interesting spot, including the long flight to and from

New York); five days of interesting sights; and five days of fascinating sights.

Believe the only roads in Alaska go from Anchorage to Seward and on to Fairbanks,

so if you want to see anything else you need a boat or train or plane??? May be

wrong on that one.

The most interesting things we saw were on guided tours - interesting talk by that

woman who won the Iditerod - she died a few years ago - interesting to listen to her

tell her story, right at her house. And the different native groups were presented

- very interesting to see how they all lived and coped with the weather.

The boat rides were great - to see the whales and otters, and river cruises to see

the Iditerod camps.

If you go on your own, be careful, because there are dangers up there we don't face

"down here" - e.g. you can't walk into the water in Anchorage, because the mud will

make you stick until the next tide comes in:(( And the wildlife has been known to

kill people.

I found the trips to Anchorage (only restaurant we would eat in was Urso - great food

and wine), and Fairbanks was fascinating. Only time to go (unless you love Winter)

is June thru September and July 24th is The Best Day:)) Be prepared for a lot of

grey rainy days (we got all sun, but no locals could believe the great weather we

got in June).

I wanted to, but passed on the plane ride and boat ride to Kodiak

Island when I asked how close they got to the Brown Bears - and they said on the

last trip the bear tried to get into the boat with the people - and no one was allowed

to carry a gun with them??? I don't trust 1,000 pound bears that much.

Denali is great, but unless you get very lucky with the weather, you'll never see

Mt McKinley - it's so massive, that it produces its own weather - almost all involves

large threatening clouds, so the mountain is almost never visible although you should

be able to see something that large 50 miles away - I never actually saw the mountain.

Everything in Alaska is SUPER LARGE - the distances are IMMENSE. You may wonder why

people marvel at the scenery, until you get home and realize just how large everything

was.

I never got to the lower portion of the state so can't comment on that.

Have a great time.

Nice write-up above! It made me think of two more things.

1. Simon and Seeforts (spelling may be off) restaurant in Anchorage is amazing..go there! They have a crab dip that is to die for along with outstanding salmon and crab legs.

2. Best line on the whole trip was when I took a glacier scenic ride. The nice young lady was explaining to all of us, "in the summer we fish and have sex". Someone in the group asked "well what do you do in the winter?". Without hesitation she responded "well, we sure as hell don't fish!"

You'll have a great time. Definitely bring a camera and take pictures.

Not sure if your into fishing, but if you go around June, the salmon should be doing their runs and of course there's always the halibut charter.

Seward was awesome, you can do a 7 mile hike to the top of one of the glacier which I did. There's a restaurant there that has an amazing blackberry cobbler, can't remember the name but it's white 2 story building.

White Pass Rail out of Skagway up into the Yukon is a blast, done it twice and loved it. I have been there twice so far and will be going back for another two weeks *cruises* in 2011 and still so much to see and do. Gold Creek Salmon Bake in Juneau is a great way to spend an afternoon stuffing youself silly on salmon. Some of my photos from my last Alaskan cruise.

Joe W.

I used to spend my summers up there and I commercial fished a few years out of pilot point. The drive between anchorage and Fairbanks has some great views and fishing in streams along the side of the road. I never got into fishing for reds combat fishing was never any fun. Dollyvarden and silvers were my favorite. Outside Fairbanks is a small place that's great. Chena hotsprings I think. A couple friends have cabins there. It's a winter resort but a great place anytime.