Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LT Tire recommendations

Anyone have any tire recommendations for a Full size Tundra? Read alot of blogs and web ratings on various sites, and everyone is pretty split on what tires are good for All Terrain (load rating as well). Dont think I need an E-rated tire (10 ply) as i will not be towing anything in the forseeable future. I had Michelin LTX M+S (not the MS2's) on my old tundra and they were great. Not really good at any one thing, but quiet on the highway, decent in snow and ice.

The Top tires I have researched for this applictaion seem to be:

Bridgestone dueler revo 2

Michelin AT

Cooper AT

BFG KTO AT

I do mostly highway driving, with heavy winters here and mountain pass driving. Dont really want a separate set of snow tires. Anyone have experiences with these or can point me to some good tires not listed. I heard the yokohamas are ok.

They are not on your list but I put 60+k miles on a set of Toyo Open Country AT's with my Suburban. Excellent highway manners and great traction on packed snow and icy/wet surfaces. If I did not need a more aggressive tread I would have went with them again, great tires for me. There was a couple of goose hunting trips across Wyoming to get to Nebraska where they shined for the typed of driving you describe.

Anyone have any tire recommendations for a Full size Tundra? Read alot of blogs and web ratings on various sites, and everyone is pretty split on what tires are good for All Terrain (load rating as well). Dont think I need an E-rated tire (10 ply) as i will not be towing anything in the forseeable future. I had Michelin LTX M+S (not the MS2's) on my old tundra and they were great. Not really good at any one thing, but quiet on the highway, decent in snow and ice.

The Top tires I have researched for this applictaion seem to be:

Bridgestone dueler revo 2

Michelin AT

Cooper AT

BFG KTO AT

I do mostly highway driving, with heavy winters here and mountain pass driving. Dont really want a separate set of snow tires. Anyone have experiences with these or can point me to some good tires not listed. I heard the yokohamas are ok.

I'm putting the Dueler AT Revo 2s on my 07 Tundra Crewmax before long....can't stand the stock tires. I put the Revo 2s on my old GMC and they were quiet, worked great in the wet and were like tank treads in the snow. R,

I've got the BFG KO on my 05 Tacoma. Really like them. They've done great for me during MI winters and seem fine to me on the highways as well. I think they are a little stiffer ride than the stock tires but I like them a lot better.

Plus they got me off the bottom of the hill on Stage 5 at BRM3G without a single slip. This was after I moved back and forth a couple times so a couple trucks wouldn't hit me as they came down the hill sideways.

I'm on my second set of Firestone Destination A/Ts. I got 50K miles out of the first set, and I think I only rotated them once or twice. I've been very happy w/ wet and dry traction, but we don't have enough snow to give an accurate assessment. Road noise is low for an AT tire. (installed on a Nissan Titan 4x4)

I have Firestone Destination LE on my wife's Pathfinder. They are not any quieter than the ATs, but life should be a little better.

I really like the BFG's. I have some on my '06 Tacoma and the '94 Toyota. Lots of friends run them on their bigger trucks year round. They hold up well and are better half worn out than many new tires if you have to go off the road, but still smooth and IMHO fairly quiet.

Check out the Firestone Transforce AT low noise, great ride, excellant wear and very good in the snow and wet. I have had two sets on two trucks and have been very happy with both sets.

Toyo Open Country's are hands down the best on the market. I would go for the H/T's unless you are going deep off road. The A/T's are good too, but they will be a little bit louder, and sacrifice dry, wet, ice and snow traction for only a little mud/dirt traction. Don't choose tires based on looks - go for performance where you need it.

Edit - the Coopers got obnoxiously loud after about 10k on one of my parents Tahoes.

Edited by Dave Gundry

Truck tires definitely need to be rotated REGULARLY. Take it from a guy who has put several hundred thousand miles on trucks in the last 5 years or so. If your tires are getting loud or wearing funny, this is likely the culprit.

Additionally, more aggressive tires need to be rotated more. Mud terrains ESPECIALLY. All terrains are probably good to go at 8k rotations. All seasons can go longer but should still be rotated.

Take it from a guy who has killed enough tires to learn. :D

Nitto Dura Grappler! I researched for months before buying my F150 some new shoes. I read review after review. Although I "wanted" a big A/T tire, I only "needed" what the Dura Grappler offered. Available in E load rating, although I didn't opt for that since I don't tow.

Quiet. Amazing wet traction. Suprisingly good snow traction. Looks great on the truck. I'm extrememly happy with my tires.